1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to encourage my son for writing and painting with crayon

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anjish, Jul 19, 2012.

1. anjish

anjish Silver IL'ite

hello friends,
    my son who is 3 years old is a very active kid. the problem is whenever I asked him to paint with crayon, he does not show any kind of interest. i tried to hold his hand while doing drawing or writing but at that time he never shows interest. Now in his school teachers have already started standing line, sleeping line etc. I am giving him 30 min each day to do anything in drawing and writing so that he develops his interest. but now from 2 -3 days he makes so innocent faces for not doing drawing that I feel so helpless. I do not want to be strict with him. orally he is very good. he likes cars very much but not interested to color the cars.

Please suggest me what to do?

2. radhu

radhu Gold IL'ite

dear friend,
    my suggestion is that first you have develop interest in the child for doing things instead of forcing them to sit and study, playfully you have to handle and with great interest and patience. firstly you can start with, to show good colourful books with big pictures of animals, fruits and other..., gradually talk to the child with your imagination and slowly introduce colours for eg,,, red colur [apple, tomato and cherrry...]and take red crayon and show him by colouring only strokes , the child will get attracted and slowly will begin to show interest and will start to colour on its own , dont expect the neatness , appreciate for each attempt and then you draw the things in red colour and show him to colour , this way slowly introduce one colour once in a week , the child will never feel a burden and you can make it attractive with big crayons , give a nice pat on back for his work and similarly you can teach strokes by drawing it with pencil and making him holding your hand with the crayon on it.get a hanging cloth blackboard and make him draw lines with colourful chalks ,as the child usually likes to imitate the teacher , all the best
    radhu

3. anjish

anjish Silver IL'ite

thanks Radhu
    I am doing exactly same things that you have mentioned. As of today he knows basic colors also like Green, Blue, Red and pink but the problem is that he is not willing to do any kind of writing/painting stuff which is very important for his fingers movement. In my home I have pasted chart papers everywhere so that he can color but no use. i am not forcing him to sit with me to study instead i spend time with him showing book of fruits, flowers, vegetables etc and now he has started telling me the colors also. i also bought jumbo crayon for him. I think gradually he will start taking interest.
    Thanks once again for the suggestions.

4. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Anjish,

Hugs...I too sail the same boat....the same story...My gal is 3 1/4 years old...so active..orally she is very strong...but she makes faces when it comes writing...

I think these kids would slowly pick it up..so dont worry...dont insist him too much...tell him gently..I too do the same thing..I used to draw birds/animals, I try to make her color it..she will do it for just few seconds and leave it...This is the way am making her to write..for the past 2 days she shows little bit interest(not much) :)...

slowly it will happen, once they get interest in it, they will be excel in it...so be patient...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  5. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

I used to make it a competition...

Daddy and daughter should each draw a standing line and mummy will judge...ofcourse dd's line is always better.
    :)

Then since daddy does not know how to draw, dd will teach him.

And daddy will keep asking her to teach him different things.

Somtimes when daddy is not home, the competition is between mommy and dd and dd will be the judge and each time, she will clap and jump up and down shouting "I win, I win"

6. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

Is he comfortable with her grip? Sometimes children might not have a proper pincer grip - and this makes it difficult for them to write...

If his grip is fine, and he's just reluctant, then I would suggest short bursts - say 5 mins coloring (let him choose the picture). He might like chunky crayons better; or perhaps he prefers chalks/finger paints....if you could choose a different medium each day, he'd find it more interesting.
    Again, if you have an iPad, you might want to look at the writing apps (there are plenty for preschoolers)

7. anjish

anjish Silver IL'ite

Thanks Prana
    I do not have any option other than patiently waiting him to write.
    Thanks once again.

8. anjish

anjish Silver IL'ite

Thanks Eandian for the suggestion,
    I have already done same thing with his daddy, his friends and with me. Eventually we got engaged in coloring and he started playing with his cars.

Thanks for replying me.

9. anjish

anjish Silver IL'ite

hello aniShekar
    no he is not comfortable with his grip. i am doing this becoz i want him to have a proper grip. but problem is that after 1-2 mins he put the pencil or crayon down.
    I will try your idea of doing painting in different medium in each day. Lets see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.