1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to drape saree perfectly?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by dolly21, Oct 14, 2013.

1. dolly21

dolly21 Senior IL'ite

I always wonder how the actresses in movies and serials drape saree so neat and perfectly.I saw many saree draping videos but dont under stand the tips behind draping saree so perfectly.Share some tips on how to drape saree neatly.

2. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

This I too would be interested in...

3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Won't it be like learning swimming by mail :):):)

Just kidding:)

4 people like this.
  4. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Practice!
    Seriously, actresses have costumers and helpers that drape their sarees for them for their films/shows/appearances. They most likely do not drape the saree themselves. For films, often the sarees are one time use only items, and the pleats and such may be stitched in place.

A fishcut inskirt/petticoat helps make one look slimmer, and the selection of fabric assists in this (satin rather than heavy cotton).

I am an inherently lazy individual when it comes to dress*-I like cotton sarees, because I don't need to pin them. Chiffons feel weird against my skin (plus they slither about and need pinning), so I don't like these, but they are slimming. Silks (real, not art) I save for special occasions, and I rarely need to pin the pleats, but use fancy pins for the pallu.

The only true way to learn to drape saree 'perfectly' is, as said in the first sentence, practice**. Or get someone else to drape it for you!

* I love ironing, finding it soothing-which is another reason to wear cottons!
    ** Practice on YOURSELF-draping a saree on another person requires a completely different set of motions. I had to start over three or four times when my 15 year old daughter had to wear a saree recently! Took me 20 minutes to do on her what I can do on myself in about 4 minutes or less.

2 people like this.
  5. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

Practice!! I moved to USA son after i got married. i started learning watching videos. failed a few times.. now i am good at this. cant say best though

1 person likes this.
  6. Johnwinston

Johnwinston Junior IL'ite

It’s not an easy thing to drape sarees perfectly. You download more and more videos from YouTube and try it.

7. mjmenia

mjmenia New IL'ite

It is always a difficult task to drape a saree perfect. There is need of practice to become perfect in it. Change in our clothing fashion is also one of the reason behind this cause.

8. pssskapur

pssskapur New IL'ite

hi i also want to learn

9. Katakam123

Katakam123 Silver IL'ite

I have same problem.
    hmmm how abt stitching the saree and making it ready made to wear
    the only shortfall need to look after weight n shape
    my sister does this .

10. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Of course practice. In ad photo shoots they use pins and clips behind to look perfect in the front. The texture, inners the actresses use also is a reason. Of course they dont drape it themselves, also most are stitched like readymades as someother said. Otherwise it wont stand as tied on their hips after all their dancing and running. Also they wear it with 5 or 6 pleats, but it is not at all practical for us. I make only 4 pleats in the pallu.

My tips will be pinning appropriately.

1. Pinning the pallu with the blouse on the left shoulder.
    2. When you bring the top border from pallu around your front down to your hip, place the border nicely in the way you want and pin it slightly on the right side with the inskirt. From shoulder to this pin the border should be taut.
    3. Then form the the front pleats tuck it into inskirt. On the pleats you use a fancy pin. Here either pin with inskirt or just the pleats alone if you feel comfortable.
    4. I also place the border neatly on the right breast, pull the second pleat slightly down from inside and pin it with the blouse from underneath blouse below the left breast towards center if I wear a pleated pallu. This will compliment double side bordered saree, otherwise most of the time the second pleat will come over the border which will not be seen making no use of double side border.

I like to wear some sarees single pleated
    Above pins I use when I go for special occasions like wedding etc. Othewise I am a regular wearer of saree, use just two pins, one to pin pallu pleats with blouse on shoulder and other pin the pleats at the hip with inskirt or use a sturdy steel clip which will not pierce the saree.

But after all this whether it looks perfect or not has to be certified by others.

Regards
    Manjukps

5 people like this.