1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Discard Stuff Which Means A Lot To You?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Apr 30, 2022.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Yes Malstrom.Am actually de cluttering coz I feel drained and trained a bit these days.Could be coz of some clutter coz looking at at hiss makes me tired and feeling disorganized.This weekend that’s the only work am doing

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I don't know where you live. But don't you have something like a local Goodwill store in your place?

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

We have but everything is not proper..many broken stuff..

being honest..cannot seem to throw it away coz it was my kid’s firsts and feeling emotionally attached to it:)

Many other things like my old clothes..

Now started to declutter..cannot believe how much junk I have :(

Thyagarajan and madhat like this.
  4. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Broken stuff, just throw them away. Even I used to feel bad initially, some of the stuff were too cute to give away, but no amount of space is enough if one keeps hoarding stuff. I realized that decluttering is more important than actual cleaning. The motivation to clean among clutter is low.

5. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

Ayioo anika, atha yean ketkareenga. I stored too many of these sentimental things for both of my kids.

I store the clothes in suitcases and leave them in the basement. I revisit them every year because it is so so hard to let go of those memories right? I donate one or a few at a time so that when i revisit every year there are fewer clothes to choose from. That actually helps me get less anxious. I try to keep one dress of each like 1 from grand parents, one which is really sentimental for me etc.

I still have the drawings of both my kids from kindergarten and all the special things they have made. Now I have started taking pictures of all those things and having them digitally stored instead. Incase the papers get old and tear or if i miss out on anything and accidentally throw it out.

I still have a few toys. My kids are attatched to them too. they r okay giving them to my sisters kids. that way they say they get to see them often. but my sister says ayiooo don't give me any more toys.

Old panchangams maybe just recycle. i don't think anyone would have use for them. sloka books donate to temple nearby where someone can take if they need. My temple here has a table where people can leave stuff there and others who find it useful can take it.

My clothes, I ususally force myself to donate a pair when i wear a new one. that way i am really forced to donate.

Now i have accumulated lots of my mom's sarees and no proper blouses for them. Don't know how to use them. MAinly cotton sarees as I propbably will not be wearing them at all. I could not donate these as they are of so much sentimental value to me after she has gone.

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Neenga canada la pa?

Actually sarees you can convert into salwar kameez..someone I know does it and wears it.Be it home or parties.

I have promised myself not to buy more stuff until I clear things..can’t believe how much I hoarded!!

toys..same problem as you pa..mudiyala:(

Thyagarajan and madhat like this.
  7. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

ammam canada. yennaku amma sareesaa cut panni thechikkavum manasu aagamaattengarathu. I tried stitching skirts with a few sarees of mine. I love wearing skirsts at home. PAttu skirts all the more the enjoyment. My daughter does not want to wear skirts. I had made one for her.

Now my dad has my mom's stuff and is asking me and my sister to take the rest of the stuff. My sis wants nothing. my dad knows he can emotionaly influence me and make me take all my mom's things. He is a worse person with things. Does not want to let go.

Do you know how much of clothes and things we donated when my dad sold the apartment? Thaangala. My dad never takes the initiative and then keeps cribbing to us that so much stuff is there. Whenever I went and my sis went we used to take my mom's salwars and some sarees and leave them out for donation. when i clean and keep it out , he wiil say okay i will donate you leave it here. When my sis goes, she will do the same thing to the clothes I have kept for donation because he would have kept all what i had kept for donation inside the cupboard again. :facepalm:

8. happygolucky22

happygolucky22 Silver IL'ite

Train yourself to stay away from these worldly possessions which are actually of no use but a clutter . I grew up in home like this where things were saved due to n number of reason and me and my sis became the opposite of this lifestyle. We both hate clutter and saving of items with a passion. Something to look at from the other side of the coin

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

True..

more things we accumulate lot of headache only..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@anika987,

After coming to the US, my wife was able to get rid of many except his first tooth which she still preserves. There is a history to it. He didn't get his teeth for a long time. She used to open his mouth 3 times a day. Finally, out of anxiety, she visited the pediatrician to ask whether he would be without teeth for the rest of his life. He said to her relief that there is no medical history in the world that someone didn't get their teeth which calmed her down. Within a week, he got 4 of them and when the first one fell, she preserved it.