1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to Deal with Relatives giving Sugary Treats to Child without Offending?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Minkis, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

Hello, a few times a year we visit my sister-in-law for the weekend. We do not give or try to limit sugary treats for our 21month old daughter. When we visit, my sis in law will stock up on treats like vanilla cream biscuits, fig newtons, Oreos, ice cream, cake etc etc...as she knows we do not give them to our daughter.
    When we tell her about sugar Rush, she laughs it off and says that's not my problem, you guys have to deal with it. She wants to bond with her niece that's why she does this...I am assuming.

it does bug me, but I let it go and think it's just the weekend, a few times a year. Should I say something? Or am I overthinking it?.

It's the same for her sleep routine, we usually put her to bed by 9pm latest, she says that I will not let her sleep that early as she wants to spend more time with her, so we sleep around midnight and it takes for ever for our daughter to calm down and adjust to the new place.

should I let it go or say something?
    thanks,
    minkis.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If t is just a few times a year,let it go.
    You can fill up your child on healthy stuff before she offers the sweets....or just space them out a bit yourself. Give one and tell her to keep the other for later in her goody bag.

1 person likes this.
  3. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

Thanks!!, I will definitely try that and yes I did have a feeling I was overthinking it. Sometimes these small things really bug you and its difficult to see the big picture.

Minkis

4. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

I am also eagerly waiting for a solution to this. My 7 year old DS oes on Sugar High often when visited by Grand parents and relatives

5. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Few times a year wont do any damage. Relax

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Little kids deserve to be spoiled once in a while by grandparents and aunts, uncles. But not by creating too much problem for parent of the kid. If SIL wants to give sugary treats and have under-2 yr old kid stay up till midnight, let her also handle that kid when gets hyper or too cranky to sleep.

I would leave the kid with the aunt and go out for a few hours so aunt can get taste of spoiling the kid by herself.

Personally, the sugary treats wouldn't bother me much, but letting a child stay up so much past regular bedtime is almost cruel. They don't know the concept of time, and when they are too tired, it is really sad to see the child struggle to sleep.

5 people like this.
  7. Ambitious

Ambitious New IL'ite

Hello Minkis,

Before going to your sil place you can call her and let her know to not purchase any sugary items.
    Also let her know that when you return back to your home your kid demands the same sugary items and your husband don't like it.
    Keep in mind the conversation should be in sweet mode. friendssmiley

1 person likes this.
  8. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

thanks for the suggestion!!!, will try it next time we visit. We visited a few weeks ago and she gave her a bag full of 5 packets of cream biscuits and 2 packets of chocolate, which was better than giving her sweet treats there.

When we came home, my daughter forgot about the treats and my husband and I have been enjoying them!!!...so its a win-win.

Minkis

1 person likes this.
  9. Ambitious

Ambitious New IL'ite

Good Minkis.

I can understand what you are feeling now.
    :rotfl

10. paramlav

paramlav Silver IL'ite

Think you are enjoying now :)