1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Deal With Potentially Difficult People In Organization

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Luckily people on my team treat me decently, or at very least professionally.

in last year I participated in inter office training program where I was mentor twice

First time I mentored three men ranging from. 50s to 80s. They were respectful and did their best to learn. We laughed and joked a lot. We still say hi to each other and once in while,e they visit toastmasters.

Second time I mentored three men, two were lousy. One was 24 year old lazy brat who was always on iPhone, not paying attention, didn't want to do eork, only wanted to get away from regular job. Another was this 50 year old who disrespected his boss, and was passive. aggressive when I asked him to do learning assignments. He complained about everything except himself.

At his experience made me upset because it is these people that see I am trying to be friendly or I font have me tori g experience and they take advantage.

I learned not to be friendly and joking with people I don't know. Just be professional and open up gradually.

Now I have been tasked to run organzatio. wide book Club. I am very excited about this opportunity but at same time I am worried about how to handle people who will join book club just to get away from their jobs and be rude and disruptive, i.e. checking smartphone during book club meeting.

It is one thing be quiet at meeting it is another thing to play on smart phone at meeting.

How to deal with these type of situations.

I work in government org where it is hard to fire people, unfortunately some people take advantage.

How to improve Interpersonal skills. How to command respect?

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Can you set up some ground rules for the book club meeting? Like no usage of mobiles during the meeting time,need to come to meeting on time etc.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

ok......the thing is sometimes, there might not be strict rules from the organization....but when you are in-charge of something, you can play a little with your rights!

For instance, since you are in-charge of the club meetings, why don't you just make rules for it.....

- No usage of phones/ checking mails
    - whoever participates have to do their work
    - save the friendly tone for the people who show genuine interest
    - trying to bring in some goodies like a chocolate of something for the one who does a lot of work
    - The rest get a lot of work....
    - If you to grade rate them....put in a note at the end
    - Letting the participants know that you are going to make a note of their activities and make note of it in their final remark card if there is any

I once went to a workshop where the organizer made a clear announcement at the beginning that in HIS class, he hates it when people play with mobiles or do any other work. After every break, we are supposed to be on time.........
    ...............if we did not follow the above, we were fined....

The fine collected was a huge amount towards the end and all of us, I mean the workshop members had a great time partying at the end.

I felt it was a great way to ensure you maintain the discipline and at the same time, make it fun too!!

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

That's a great idea!

Will include that in email and beginning of each meeting.

Yes!

When we discuss books, make nite of who said what ideas
    1. This will strengthen our understanding of book's ideas
    2. We can ask person for clarification later on
    3. Will encourage others to actively participate