1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Deal With Insensitive Pils

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mimi77, Aug 3, 2018.

1. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

My husband is not a favourite child of my PILs......They openly show bias towards their elder son.....we are used to it now and hardly show any resentment towards their unhealthy attitude......my MIL expects a lot from my husband but does nothing in return......A few months back , my DH got his left foot fractured and he could not ealk properly for nearly three months......they did not even come to visit him once......we had to face a lot of problem but never once they offered any ki nd of help.......Now my daighters exams are going on and they want to visit us now....we told them to come once exams are over......MIL is very angry at this and said they have to come now and we have to take MIL to the dentist right away as she is having problem......Cant take so much of dominance from her......She does everything for the elder son and when it comes to any kind of expenditure it has to be borne by the scapegoat younger son.....Cant take anymore of her partial behaviour......Now I really dont want them to come.....what should I do? Any suggestion?

shravs3 and friendabc like this.

2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I can understand your pain , but please try to be positive . Trust me I've also experienced . Still we do our duty and take care of everything related to DH parents . Because it is our duty to take care of our parents .We take care of all of expenses of inlaws including their rent because they even gave away their house to my husbands sibling . But I believe as they are my husband's parents so it's our duty to do everything for them whether they do anything for us or not .

If u neglect parents health that will haunt u forever .Money will come and go but we should not neglect parents and inlaws especially in their old age . Even though we get hurt , we realised that partiality will continue forever , so we should not focus on that but do our duty . Because we cannot live in peace if we neglect them in any way, whether they care for us or not .

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

:clapclap::beer-toast1::thumbup:

nakshatra1 likes this.
  4. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

You are so right Nakshatra.....And your writing once again proves that you are a very good human being......I too want to be good to them but somehow what they did in the past is unforgettable......And I cant stand her partial behaviour towards my BIL.....And my MIL is such old school, she still believes in giving more importance to the male child.....She creates such imbalance at home because of her old school thoughts......The other day she was saying, its no point giving importance to the girl child as they do not perform the funeral rites of the deceased parents......So indirectly she wants to tell me to give more importance to my BIL's son than my own daughter......How to deal with so much of stupidity and insensitivity....

shravs3 and nakshatra1 like this.
  5. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I don't think I am so good person as u think , I too get very hurt when I feel partiality . But we have realised that we shouldn't neglect our duty .

I do everything but I never tolerate any discrimination towards gender . I'll advise u don't follow any wrong things blindly just because they are elders . Just do Ur duty to take care of them but speak up for Ur values, especially for sake of Ur child.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    mimi77 likes this.
  6. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear for your advice......Yes Im also strictly against gender discrimination....

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

This proves that woman is her own worst enemy. When woman itself feels like that , there is no point in arguing against discrimination from men.

Society is slowly changing .. There are cases where gal has done funeral rites for her parents since she was the only child.

mimi77 likes this.
  8. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

you are right.....I have also seen several cases.....but my MIL's thinking will never change and now Im sure she says all these to intentionally hurt people .....She has such low thinking and a dirty mouth that none of us in the family bother to reply to her or make an effort to make her understand

shravs3 likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Her partial behavior towards her sons may pass of as individual decisions....but do not let her pass that on to your daughter.

Next time she talks about not giving importance to your daughter,cut her then and there and tell her you will not hear any such thing. Your daughter is your flesh and blood and most important to you.

Sometimes we stay quiet and let them believe that they can say whatever comes to their mind .

I also differ on the view about dil's duty towards the in laws.( Not about the op but in general) The primary responsibility towards them lies with their children.
    If they are bad to the dil ,then the dil should stop doing whatever is considered her duty because otherwise,they will continue their behavior as a right.

Stop doing your duty and let them know that you will not be available if you are not treated properly .

This will give them enough time to change their ways while they are still capable of taking care of themselves.

This will give them a chance to rethink their behavior.

This will give them a chance to become better people....or they can learn to live without a dutyful dil.

Why should people change if there are no consequences?
    Don't expect love if they don't do the same
    Don't expect fairness if they are unfair.

If you want to serve and continue to be dutyful even when they are bad....you only have yourself to blame for the continued bad behavior.

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op ,has anyone ever questioned them about their unfair behavior?
    I did once....calmly. They were red faced and denied but the partiality did decrease a bit.