1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Deal This Problem With In-laws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by zeppelingirl, Oct 4, 2017.

1. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My in-laws are good people sometimes but too dominating and controlling always. They are not a bit satisfied with me and my family.

My husband seem a good person and I got married in a grant ceremony beyond my parents capacity. But my in-laws never satisfied at all, saying they didn't demand dowry only bcos they wanted a good family and good girl.

I wear modern cloths before marriage, we informed that to my in-laws and husband. And also my parents informed that I'm not fond of wearing jewels. Everything informed clearly before marriage to them.

When they came and see me for the first time to confirm the marriage proposal. I was only wearing a simple chudi, free hair, a very small thin chain, a earring stud, and a big dial watch. Thats me. I dont want to put a show off by wearing jewel and saree that day. And also my parents inform them that I have only wore saree twice before marriage and not much interested in it.

My husband liked the simple me and said "Yes". I also liked him. The marriage got fixed and we got married in 2 months.

But after marriage everything got changed. My in-laws wanted me to wear silk saree whereever I go, and my MIL tells me what dress to wear everytime I out with my husband. Also she insisted me wearing jewels all time. I didnt like my MIL interfering in my personal and took it to my husband. But he never took my side and asked me to do whatever she says.

MY MIL doesnt like to doing free hair. I always maintain short hair since my childhood. Now my in-laws doesnt want to do haircut.

They dont appreciate anything my parents buy me. from fruits to very expensive stuff.

Bcos of them, me and my husband fighting quite often and there is no peace between us anymore.

Whenever I bring anything about his parents to him, he blackmails and threaten me by asking a divorce

I cant say these things to my parents cos my mom is a sick person.

Im extremely depressed and emotionally tortured by my husband nowadays often. He calls me a sick and mad person. He makes me cry and watch it with no compassion. He says Im crying for nothing.

There is no use in explaining things to my husband, since he is not understanding.

How can I change this situation at home?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

It seems u r in joint family. Try talking to ur mil directly about ur wish to wear jeans in a nice way. since u say ur in-laws are good in other aspects, hope she understands.

zeppelingirl likes this.
  3. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Op,

I think ur parents should educate you about what a married life is like. Giving a good education, freedom with cloth styling is easy part. But honey, you dont get to keep ur maiden name(not on records) after getting married. You are part of new family.. so they will have new rules. You should divorce ur H if these things are bothering you and you can go live a free life.
    Do you think 2 sisters will behave alike after growing up under same roof?? Here, you r talking abt a new family alltogether. Just like ur parents gave u good education, freedom..ur inlaws did the same thing to ur H.
    Many ppl from ur inlaws gen think that the DIL becomes their property since the day of engagement. She made the change in ur hairstyle.. wrong for sure. You should have opposed them right there or ur parents should have seen it as a redflag. But no, you walked into marriage knowing it fully. And i bet that even if u got engaged to another guy, there would have been something thing else. No one is perfect.
    So, coming to the life now, show some patience. Wearing jeans, not wearing jewellery is not end of life. Middle class life demands all these. Inlaws only want to see that dil looks "sanskari" and not cheap. You cant have the same life post marriage. There will be changes. So, focus on positive things like learning cooking and showing patience.
    I moved from usa. My mil saw me in micro mino skirts. But, once i moved to india, all hell broke loose. Jeans, kurthis, spending time on terrace/garden,etc all were taboo.. i was angry initially and have shown all my anger,frustration on everyone. My parents supported me(which i hate till date). But, eventually i realized that the middle class neighbourhood that i live had mixed ppl around who would eagerly wait for an opportunity for the new girl to come out, see her, judge her, stalk on FB, get phone num to chk out whatsapp DP, etc.. what not.. My parents too live in middle class area since we r from middle class, but ppl around there have seen me since childhood and hence dont have bad eyes on me when i wear jeans..
    So,honey, make changes slowly. Wear jeans only when u r out of sight of ur ils, remove jewelley once u r out of house, keep ur fav footwear in ur car and wear ur fil fav footwear while leaving house. Slowly, you will get to wear ur fav stuff full time without hiding. Inlaws just need an assurance that u r part of their family too. By doing this, you are not being submissive or subordinate or lowering ur level. You are just being smart.

shravs3, premabarani, dc24 and 5 others like this.
  4. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

Am sorry to hear what you are going through.. I would say pick your battles wisely.. if you think wearing that slipper is important, go get another one exactly like that.. keep buying a new one if they mess with what you have..

Dont bring anything to your husband, deal with it yourself.. you are an adult. As long as it is appropriate for the place you are visiting, wear what you are comfortable in..if people oppose, dont respond.. or just say am sorry that we have different tastes, but i like this one..you are an adult, and no one should be forcing you to dress a certain way..

Amica, Rihana and zeppelingirl like this.
  5. zeppelingirl

@YoGirl My engagement was the day before my wedding. There is no way to stop wedding bcos of SIL touching my hairdo.

Me and my husband discussed everything before marriage, he had no problems with whatever the problem I'm facing now. But now he has changed a complete different person after marriage, keeping divorce as a blackmailing tool. So I never walked into marriage knowing everything. Only he walked into the marriage knowing the real me and thinking he can control me after marriage.

And my FIL spoiling my footwear is no small deal. Its just like slitting my throat when I'm asleep.

My SIL who is in India wears mini frock, sleeveless whatever and post stuff on facebook for everyone to see. Does it not spoil my in-laws name? Does it not attract neighbours eyes?

But they talk bad behind my co-sister who is in US for wearing modern cloths.

My parents never told me that I'll completely lose my freedom after marriage and will be a puppet to the new people.

FIL doesnt want me to sit or stand or walk or speak or keep quiet or do whatever when I'm in livingroom. So I stopped being in livingroom for more than 10 mins.

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

When I say adult i am thinking of someone who knows not to wear jeans when visiting a grand ma in law in the village or a family function in the in laws side...

Also as a newly wed wife, you don't have to be a doormat and agree to everything, but i would consider dressing different once in a while to my husband's preference, especially if dh says i like you in that saree or you look lovely when you wear these jewels! Would help make your bond closer.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  7. zeppelingirl

But my husband never let me buy a new one. I don't have the guts to confront my in-laws. Also I'm afraid if I do that, my husband will treat me even bad than this

8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Are you financially independent ?
    You don't have to be rude or talk back to your in laws, but can still keep doing what you want..
    I don't think you can live your entire life under fear or threat of a divorce. You have to figure out a diplomatic way of putting things across without having to fight.

9. zeppelingirl

I do wear saree and jewels for my husband whenever he asks me, to show that I love him. But I'm worried he doesnt respect my mine just like how I respect his needs. I dunno how to make him understand that. It feels like my love is just one sided all time. He gives all his love and attention for his parents and lovables.

10. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Dont worry OP, relationships take time .. In the meantime try not to complain about his parents to him..dont compare yourself to your SIL, although these double standards are annoying.. If I were you, I would go on a shopping trip with my SIL and buy the exact same dress she buys ( may be a diff color) and say hey I and my new sis got matching outfits to wear one day, how is it.. see what the IL's have to say ;)

Laks09, shravs3, Meenakshii and 5 others like this.