1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to convince DW to mingle with my family ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by JayDixit, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Tridev, am glad that you're getting this picture and should be able to resolve the issues in due course.

JD, am in agreement with Kadambari.. ur turning into a volcano since you want X and your wife wants everything -X.. also that Tridev's story Might be different from JD, just that why to involve or accuse the parents for keeping a safe distance, atleast they're not poking or insulting or trying to prove a point.. they've isolated you to live life the way you want cos their point of view will never matter. They talk nicely to you and you want them to adorne your parents as well, did your parents try talking to hers & they dint reciprocate or is it again an EGO battle that since that set of parents is ladkiwaala they need to do the efforts all the while, till their daughter is married?

2. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

Jay,

At this time, dont overburden yourself and your wife to please your family or relatives. Better take care of your wife and little ones. As it is, you have too many things on your plate now like relocation, new baby arrival and adjustments to be made on all these fronts. Like some suggested now is not the good time for patchups.

Just relax, enjoy time with your wife and kids . Maintain pleasant relationship with your mother , but do not overdo things to repair relation between your wife and mother. Dont expect too much too soon. Maybe once your wife feels more settled and happy, she may be more ready to forget and forgive.

I cannot know whether your wife is being obstinate or in self preserving mode and you are a better judge of that. If you were very demanding with her in the early days of marriage, it will take some time for her to come out of it. Dont bring in your mother too soon in the picture if you do not have confidence that things will not furthur move down south.

Sometimes time also heals. Be more patient.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

Jay - it seems DM and DW are at warpath. If they dont want to talk to each other thats fine. Let them not talk. Thats fine

The main issue here is that you want your mom to interact with your kids. You should be able to do so w/o pushing DW. once the baby comes home you can take both kids to your moms house w/o DW. DW doesnt have to accompany you right? she doesnt have to talk to your family memebers if she doesnt want to. You can always take the kids to ur moms house so she can interact wiht them. keep it separate. DW wont listen to anything you say right now coz these are fresh memories. over time she may be able to do a hi-bye relatonship - which is perfectly fine.

keep it separate. no need for both of them to interact and you will have peace of mind :) good thing is you know the fault of both women :) so best leave them alone. no need to play the cupid here.

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Jay

I can say one thing for sure, sometimes our actions and body language speak louder than our words. Our facial expressions talk more than our mere words. We think others do not have the capacity to read all those, but the annoying thoughts we have, irritation we feel and uncomfortable feeling we have abotu a person is very clear when we meet them they can feel it.

What I am trying to say here is...Do not get into negative mode with your wife. If you think she is controlling, or trying to isolate you from your family or other stuff would make the situation worse instead of making it better. Because you can already see in your posts how you are getting angry and upset with your wife, so think how can you be calm infront of her and be firm and still make your point???

For some time please leave your mom aside for a while. Tell her that you need time to fix things and surely everything will be back to normal. Handle one thing at a time rather than all the things at one go..i.e minglign with family, birth of a new baby, you patching upwith yoru wife, building trust b/w you and your wife, your mom on talking terms with your wife or vice versa...

Also your moms involvement is what brought all these troubles. So why demand your wifes parents to involve? why they have to talk to your parents when their daughter herself is on such a road block where she doesnt want to see anyoen from yoru side.? What is more important here? your wife and your marriage or your wifes parents and how they treat your parents? Remember once you are married, all you have to deal with is your wife. If she is on good terms, rest all would be on good terms. If she is not, no one can do anything...Parents can just suggest her, but finally she is an adult she knows what she is doing and what she wants. So why get into blame game of how her parents are allowing all this.Isnt it childish to blame someone else for your wifes behaviour? Its like trying to blame someone outside the marriage, who didnt even live with both of you, who dont have the first hand information on actually what happened in your marriage. Easy to blame someone for what went wrong in your life. First it was blaming your mom and now its your wife.

First of all your wife should trust you...which is clearly not happening. So instead of you trying to patch up things out of hurry, or talking or asking what you want, LET her talk what she wants. Ask her what is the best way to ensure your kids mingle with your side family also. understood your wife doesnt want to mingle its finally her choice she is an adult she can make her decisions.

If you dont allow her to talk or if she is not talking about the issues at hand, remember you would hit a dead end. Thats what happens in most of the divorce cases..where one of the spouse doesnt talk. Doesnt want to mend things. Doesnt see any positivity in the relationship. They wont be able to express or point out a particular reason for their unhappiness as its not one reason or about one issue anymore...everything gets piled up and one day it seems impossible to be in the marriage under the same roof. So dont get to that level.do not have bitterness in your heart about anyone. either your wife/your mother. It wont mend /fix things.

ASK and PLEAD her to talk to you. What makes her happy? and what you are ready to? If she can open up to you and come up with suggestions, you would surely be a winner.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

Sri

As usual your post is outstanding! You seem to have a lot of understanding and experiance in this respect. Can you give some pointers for how to stay away from the point hwere u stop discussing and finally lose interest in the relationship? I see lot of advises out on the internet but mostly are geared towards americans. Indian marriages are far more complex as the communication level between spouses is not the same. Some men dont seem to communicate well about their deisres/wants/likes/dislikes - maybe because they are not used to or they may be aware that wife may not agree with it at all. Can you shed some advise on how to recognize that partners are getting fed up with the relationship? If so what would be the best way to address it? I think it would apply to men and women. Perhaps this may not belong in the same thread.

6. peach

peach New IL'ite

Jay,

I am not in talking terms with my Mil and when I was pregant my husband thought its the best opportunity to make me and MIl patch up despite of a miscarriage and this being my second pregancy. You know my reaction was how could he have done this to me inspite of knowing everything. I felt my H never cared about me or the kid. I lost my complete faith and trust in him. From his point of view he is only find ways to mend the relationsship. For me he never discussed anything with me and I thought he just put me on the point. I felt everything falls on deaf ears and nothing ends in resolution. I always had the fear that I will end up in the same situation as before and things will be back to square one.

We as couple never talked about how can we handle these issues as a team and I never had an assurance from him in any way.

What DRk said could be bitter but thats the fear I harbor and take a step back when it comes to MIL.

The point you need build that trust in her and need to take things slow. I told my H to send pics to every one and anounce the baby's birth. May be talk to your wife about baby home comming party. tell your wife that it would akward if you invite everyone and not your mil, bil &sil. Ask for her opinion and if she is not comfortable you need to let go. Also offer to take care of all the arrangements for the party.

I think whats important is your baby's & wife's health more than anything else.

7. JayDixit

JayDixit Senior IL'ite

@TriDev :
    Well my mother did try to create a major rift between me and my wife. That's a fact for which to realize took some time. My wife has some major attitude problem even if I keep everything else aside for a moment. But I have learned to put up with her for the sake of my kids. I do not want them to grow without me though DW adamantly says she can manage on her own and mocks that she does not enough help from me in raising kids anyways! I agree its going to be more challenging in India for me and my wife. I'm holding on to my horses. And nobody here seems to understand my in-laws have a role to play and not just listen to DW. Ignoring the problem will not solve the problem.

@ShilpaMa : In-laws need to show some maturity and show some tact in dealing with their daughter's in-laws. When Indian parents take all responsibility to get their daughters married, they can also work towards saving their daughter's marriage . It does seem very odd to me when they call me for any get together in their house and completely ignore my mom.

@DrKadambari. I think you've assessed me right. While I'm extremely happy that I'm going to have an addition to my family, I'm saddened for the other things going on. But this volcano that's building up inside of me needs to be stopped. I exactly know what DW wants at this time. If I don't speak about my mother, if I treat her parents nicely and if I'm nice to her during her pregnancy which I've been so far , then all is fine with her. I've noticed this pattern and I'm afraid I cannot continue to be like what she wants always.

@KMA : DW is obstinate , but she says she is staying away from my mother due to "safety" reasons, whatever that means.

@psych : Exactly. I want to be in a position to take my kids ( or atleast DD ) to my mom's place and spend some quality time with her without having to plead my wife or ask her permission. I can wait till our second child is born and let DW recuperate. That's my time line.

@SriVidya : Your suggestions are great and I did try to follow them. They are just not working for me. DW is such an obstinate person that she just refuses to even talk about my mother. The thing she harps on is that my mother was responsible for the miscarriage and will never ever forgive her or let our DD meet her! How can a person especially a woman be so vengeful and unforgiving? She does not even listen and let me finish when I start talking. Someone said you can only bring horse to the water and not make it drink it. On a lighter note,When I'm bringing cool and crisp mineral water to the horse in a nice container in a hot weather, the horse does not want to drink it.

@peach : Thanks for sharing your experiences. DW knows that I take care of her and our DD well and she herself has mentioned to me once. Even her sisters have asked her to be considerate with me, but she doesn't.

Conclusion
    1) DW's obstinacy, controlling attitude will not change even if I change. We will continue to have problems even if we leave all other issues aside for a moment.
    2) Both DW and mother are manipulative and controlling in their own ways and would not even admit their mistakes. My mother will be very happy if I confront DW and DW wants me to confront my mother constantly for every small reason. Not a good sign.

My action items
    1) Dw's well being during pregnancy and recuperation after delivery is my first priority.
    2) Ensure smooth relocation , setup a house and concentrate on job.
    3) Be respectful to her parents so that DW does not get another reason for a fight.
    4) Don't even think of DD seeing my mother till the second one arrives safely and some time has been elapsed.

Unfortunately DD's birthday party or the newborn party is something that's more stressful than joyful. There is no easy solution.

I'm not saying I'm a person without faults and I was completely nice to both DW and mother on all occassions.

From the responses I've got , its helped me identify my flaws and hopefully I can conduct myself better in real-life situations henceforth.

8. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

9. JayDixit

JayDixit Senior IL'ite

Thank you SriVidya.

Actually DW has severed ties with my brother and SIL does not even want to talk to them ever. Since they both belong to my generation they have no bitterness per se and they are carrying on with their lives.

As far as my relatives go, I avoided them last time I was in India for the reason that they will invite me and DW over and I was afraid it might take an ugly turn with because of them ending up supporting my mother.

Handling of relatives , though a least priority cannot be ignored, but it's another area which I have not put sufficient thought into it. The problem is DW has said that if she ever meets my relatives she will go about telling all the attrocities committed to her by my mother which according to me is childish and ludicrous. So meeting relatives can be like dealing with a double-edged sword!

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

For a long time, I have been maintaining silence on this thread.

But let me atleast say what I wanted to say quickly:

Jay - I dont agree with your conclusion "action items" that you wrote above.

She's behaving like an uncontrollable brat, and you need to clearly articulate to her that it is unacceptable

Past is past. She's behaving like an idiot now, and you need to tell her that.
    Yes both of you have flaws and mistakes happened. It does not give her a license to prevent your kid from meeting the grandmom.

Your DW can stay away from meeting your Mom at your Mom's place. Thats her prerogative. Lets allow for that, she can decide on that. But she cannot prevent you and your kid meeting your Mom. Thats YOUR prerogative.

Forget inlaws, if they want to talk to your Mom - let them talk, else let them not talk. Your Mom does have a right to meet you and your daughter, and she also has the right to Visit your home (even if your DW is part of that home). It is not her (DW) home only, it is both of yours. And yes, make sure your Mom does not repeat past mistakes as well. She (mom) needs to get that into her skull as well.

I know this is probably different suggestion than what the gazillion posts in previous pages have given you. But it is what it is.

She is pregnant yes, and she needs to take care of her health. But that does NOT MEAN she can use that as a weapon to behave like a brat and throw tantrums - which is what she is doing. She is an adult whether she is pregnant or not, and can and should behave more matured.

Anyway, we all can state our opinions - you know the context best. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010