1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to convey?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by parvathi1980, Jun 9, 2014.

1. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Dear friends, I am writing about this issue with my sister. I have had problems in the past with my parents spending all their time and energy on her and never a reply to my messages. TO some extent this problem has been solved as I have now come to terms with this reality and don't expect much from parents and sister.

Now we were planning a vacation and informed my parents a few days back. My parents must have informed my sister as her behavior suddenly changed. She has become less communicative. On my anniversary she posted several pics in the category of life events on a social networking site. She posted holi celebrations, b'days and even a cousins( with whom we barely if ever interact) engagement as her life event!!! I just found it so weird. She called us late in the night to wish and was sounding a bit strange. She is very competitive and likes to better me. She is in most ways better than me- me being a homemaker and she professionally qualified. BUt even then she continues to do strange things to annoy me. On my sons bday she called and asked wht our plans were and when I foolishly told her that I have no plans as such she dumped a cousin of my bro in law on my head to entertain...the whole day we were showing him around:-(

A long time back I had sent a msg to my dad that my mil is sick implying that she is a sick woman. I did not know how my sister conveyed this to my parents that my mil was unwell and my dad asked me in front of her while we were chatting...and there was such a big fight afterwards. My mil created such a scene. I thought it was a genuine misunderstanding for my own peace but now I feel she did all that purposely.

I don't know how to make my parents understand that my sister plays mind games with me. I take enough nonsense from inlaws and husband...don't have the energy to deal with her. I am trying to ignore all that she does but increasingly it is becoming difficult.

I think this is some form of adult sibling rivalry. My parents blindly trust her. I am so low...

2. parvathi1980

Another thing is I have now stopped telling too much about my life to my parents. I am scared that sister will react in a weird fashion. My mother tells everything to her.

3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Keep interactions and info flow (via parents) minimum. If she asks about plans, say your DH planned something....if she is acting funny, it's her problem, things like that FB matter - she is making a fool of herself really....

1 person likes this.
  4. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP, I think you are right in saying it is a form of sibling rivalry. Also, she may feel envious that you are a SAHM and get to spend more time with family. The FB incident makes me feel that she has a need to prove herself and others that her life is better than yours. She may also feel that she should be the one to gain good name with your parents and others, hence the twisting of the words which upset your mil and parents.

Minimize contact with her as much as possible. If she is less communicative, let her be. Don't worry about it or try to get her talk to you more. Stop sharing unwanted information even to your parents since it may reach her ears. Keep your family life and plans separate. As I am writing this I feel this suggestion sounds bad. Because as a married woman who have issues with marital family, parents and siblings are a great blessing and support. It will be tough if we have to walk on eggshells in that relationship too. But you need to free your mind from her thoughts and negative energy as it affects you and being within limits with her will be helpful in doing that.

1 person likes this.
  5. rathiprasad

rathiprasad Silver IL'ite

Sibling rivalry can take surprising turns especially if the black sheep of the family turns out to be the star performer while the older ones who grew up being in the limelight and the darling of parents suddenly wake up one day to the harsh reality they are still stagnant in that limelight..maybe a little faded and older

2 people like this.
  6. parvathi1980

Thank you tulipzz, chillbreeze and rathiprasad for your replies! I started giving minimum info to them a long time back. The details of this vacation I was forced to tell them as we are going in my son's holidays and will not be going to India. We did all the bookings last year itself but informed our parents now!

But it really hurts to hide things. Concealing stuff about my life is not my nature. I have always shared everything with parents.

Another thing is she is basically a pet in the family. I mean people praise her good nature and what not. I fail to understand this insecurity. Why should someone already so liked and appreciated by everyone be so small hearted?

Another thing is she goes around giving medical advise to everybody. But last year I had asked her for some antibiotic/medicine for my throat infection and she just ignored me. I mean she did not see my throat or even suggest a good cough syrup! My parents called her and then she responded.

But even with my hubby's relatives she will spend a long time discussing their health problems! She is also planning to move to the country I live in...she says it is for the money but I am terrified of her living so close. My hubby and her hubby get along well.

I think I am going mad. Am I being paranoid??? I am so lonely now...can't share my joys and sorrows with anyone. I sometimes pick up the phone to call my parents and tell them something nice but then I stop. My hubby supports me but I don't think he understands the depth of my trouble.

Should I go to a counsellor?

7. parvathi1980

She also competes in problems...her problems have to be bigger than mine so that she can get sympathy! And she will do it in such a subtle manner that no one but myself would notice it. Oh...I am going nuts afterall!

8. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

I too had some issues with my sis see my post love ur self on the same forum. I started calling her once a year on her bday and visiting her thrice a year for unavoidable functions 3 yrs of doing this and she got the message across. Now she has mended her ways as she knows I will not stand it. We stay in the same city all relatives are far off.
    She is cornered and uses me as a bashing pole to vent out. I got fed up I am used by my mom to vent, my dh to vent, my sis to vent. One day I decided enough is enough when I need to vent who listens.... I owe only that person to vent out on me.

You live in different countries. All the more better.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Do you think both of your parents are biased?
    Don't you have other siblings?
    Is there anything that need a change in you?

Having said that, if your sis is not so connected to you, then you better ignore her. If she posts something irrelevant on your anniversary, you then post your anniversary pictures, cake cutting, the gift that you guys shared and the cards that your kids gave you. Post them on FB, tag her along with other close buddies, so that they will see them.
    Eventually her irrelevant stuff will get unnoticed.

If she tries to dumb someone on your special day, tell her beforehand that you have got something else to do. What if you hadn't told her before, tell her now. She is being cunning, so be prepared.

If she is not so good with you for a longer time, if I were you, I wouldn't have asked the medicine from her. Go to a doctor and treat yourself. Dont expect anything from someone who is not good with you.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems you are so obsessed about your sister. She may be wrong, but dont let her spoil your life. Be strong.