1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to convey tactfully?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by rosemary12, Jan 17, 2014.

1. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

As already mentioned several times in IL, I have great in laws and not much troubles in our married life. A little background about my PILs:

FIL, a very self oriented man, never stays at home except for food or sleep.

MIL, a working woman, emotionally dependent on us (her son and me).

Now, my concern is, every time DH and I plan to go out somewhere, MIL wants to accompany us, be it some nearby temple or some 1 day out of station trip. I can understand where she is coming from. FIL has never taken her anywhere, so she has not visited any place other than her native, so she is very eager to roam around with us. She is quiet young and active too.

I have my own set of preferences. I like her company when we go to places where DH and I have visited frequently. But when we plan to go to a new place, I prefer to go alone, just the two of us. Probably the next time, I may want to take MIL too.

DH understands this, and but I dont like the way he handles it. He lies to his mom every time we decide to go alone. This makes me mad. I want him to tell his mom upfront that he wants to go alone with his wife. The problem is, he makes me lie too to his mom. Not that, she would throw a tantrum if he said that, she will definitely understand, but he does not want her to feel bad. Dumb logic!

I hate this lying habit, just for the simple act of going out with my hubby. Please advise how to convey to her? Or should I just let go?

I know this may sound silly problem to many, and I dont wish to project it so, but I would like to know some views?

2. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Some thing similar in my case where DH feels its ok to tell MIL truth even if it will hurt her....mind well she keeps grudges really badly..its me who feels better to lie or avoid telling entire truth to keep sanity & peace.

IF u feel your MIL will understand, try once telling her about your outing instead of H telling & ultimately lying to her. If she understands good for you two. or else next time you know what to do ;-)

2 people like this.
  3. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

DG,

Thanks for the immediate reply! :)

Recently there was a friend's marriage to attend. Venue was at some place none of us have visited. I bypassed DH and mentioned to MIL, specifically that both of us are going to avoid any lies. She immediately wanted to join, saying she has never visited that place. I am not good at lies. I just kept quiet. :(

I just want to know if there is any other way of telling 'DH and I prefer to go out alone'?

4. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

U shud be happy dat ur wish is fulfilled.. I find nothing wrong in ur DH's intention behind lying to his mom.. Its not fair to tell her upfront dat he wants to go alone with his wife and not willing to take his mom.. She may feel bad.. Is there anything wrong in fulfilling a wife's wish by not hurting the others at home ? :confused2:

4 people like this.
  5. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

To each his own! I hate lying, for whatever reason. I prefer being told the truth rather than being lied to. And in this process, my DH makes me lie too, which is against my principle. To quote what I have already said:

Is it fair to make me lie, for the simple act of going out with my hubby?

BTW, if this was a vice-versa condition, I would have told my mom upfront I'd want to spend some alone time with my DH. Neither will she feel bad.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

This must be the reason he lies because even if he tells the truth she will ask to tag along.Tagging along for a wedding is not that bad....but you can hint to her that some places you would like to go only with your husband. e.g.book tickets for a movie with an adult rating. Tell her it is not a movie you both can watch with her. Book a vacation to a romantic resort and tell her it is a mini honeymoon break.Slowly you can increase your couple time over a period of time.

How about encouraging her to spend more time with her own husband? How about sending them for a vacation or movie together? I think you all need to work on the fil and make him understand his responsibilities towards his wife.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    5 people like this.
  7. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

Tagging along for a wedding is not bad as long as one knows the bride / groom. The groom was our mutual friend, yet she wanted to join, and the venue was a nice romantic spot. So later DH had to lie that some other friends were joining. If only DH musters enough courage to tell her once that some places he wishes to visit just with me, it will be far better.

Mentioning to her that it is a mini honeymoon break is a very good idea, thanks a lot yellowmango! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. anjivicky

anjivicky Bronze IL'ite

I agree with Neveenasasi. As long as your DH is willing to take you somewhere and just the two of you, I dont see any problem with it. There are many husbands who never oblige to going alone without their mothers. You should be happy about it.

2 people like this.
  9. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

It was your friend's wedding or some family friend's? Coz if its your friends' there is no reason for her to tag along....instead of staying quiet you could have told her this rite? May be push her to join some yoga classes or some meditation which will occupy her time so instead of tagging along she will use her time better. Or there are even groups & clubs for similar aged enthusiasts....you say shes quite active...let her join such clubs where there are even tours & picnics apart from mere get togethers.

10. vanijay

vanijay New IL'ite

Let this go…
    I understand your principle of ‘Not lying’. But I don’t see anything wrong with your Husband’s action. He is trying to balance both ends without hurting you both. You expectations might put him off. Please be appreciable for what he does to you. Letting this go would bring closesness between you and your DH. Nagging will only make him to avoid such outings. IMO.

1 person likes this.