1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean Oil Cans?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by aishu22, Mar 6, 2008.

1. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ilites,
    I have tough time cleaning my oil ans.I have two big plastic ones to store cooking oil and Gingely oil. The smaller ones that i use for everyday cooking is easy and not so greasy.But the bigger ones takes so much time to clean.Its so greasy and hard.

Is it better to switch over to Stainless stell cans?

Any suggestions or remedies?

2. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Dear aishu,

1.Clean the oil can with a small dump of cloth preferably cotton as it would absorb the left over completely.
    2. Now pour enough warm water and add rock salt - (kal uppu) a handful and keep it aside for half an hour, if required you can change the water once.
    3. Rush the warm outer out of the can and add Maida - 1/2 spoon and wipe it again with warm water.
    4. Finally give a thru wash in tap water and leave it in the sun to dry

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers
    Ramya

3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ramya,
    Thanks a ton for your sugestions.Would try it this week end.Do you have a steel can or plastic can?

4. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Aishu,

I was using plastic cans (tupperware) to store the oil but couldn't manage to clean the close edges that pretty so shifted to steel ones, thukus...

But whichever the case the procedure is same , except for the use of water in steel ones you can pour hot water.

Cheers
    Ramya

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ramya,
    Thanks for peeping in again.Yah even i feel the plastic is a real headache to clean in the edges..Planning to get some steel ones..I saw it in one of my friends house.They have Oil cans(steel ones) with kettle like shape.I mean with a pour-friendly.Not sure where they got it from:-(

Have you seen any thing like that in chennai?

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

A ishu22,

Cleaning the plastic ones...use a little vinegar along with the warm water...don't laugh, but i use a little of the robin bleach that i use for whites to remove the stains in my microwave containers....sometimes..the same could be done..but again be careful. clean it..washi it and then wash it regularly.

REgarding steel cans, i feel having a one litre close mouthed dabba container in steel and a small one with the the nozzle is a better option...as the nozzle gets too sticky and also with the small one, you will have a control over the flow...

I have seen them in all these steel shops..check it out. i think i saw those cans in reliance fresh also the steel ones...

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aish,
    Empty the oil-sachets & store in tupperware cans. Use small "kettle like" enNai kiNNams for daily use. They come with a tiny spoon inside as well.
    I find that shampoo sachets are the best for cleaning oil cans. I don't use shampoo - but buy the sachets for all messy oil-cleaning , grease-cleaning jobs.
    Just my My 2cents
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a ton Shan! Will try out vinegar+warm water too.cleaninghas become an ordeal for me :-(.
    Okay, will check out in Reliance for those steel ones.
    Let me try and get back to you.

9. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithu,
    Shampoos???WOW..I never thoughy it could be so handy.Will try out all possible methods, but i want a clean oil can.Its so messy and R is upset about my messy oil tray& cans :-(.
    Let me kick off the oil can cleaning campign.I have 4 of them to be cleaned+the plastic tray i place them in.So i will try all ur methods one on each of them.
    Doing justice..haaa haaaa...

Thanks a lot chithu for ur suggestion.

10. anupama

anupama New IL'ite

Hai Aishu,
    Thought i will jus peep in .. for the tray in which i keep my tupperware oil cans. i cut(sometimes put as such) a polythene sheet from a thick carry bag(like the one u get in shoppers stop , etc) and place my cans on it. its easy to change the sheet even once in a week or so and the tray looks clean.
    and use warm water and teepol(similar to pril or vim liquid) to clean since tupperware withstands upto 80degree.
    and as chitvish mam suggested we can use shampoo.. i use them to clean even the shirt cuffs and colors (that much pisuku.. sweat and dirt together)
    Regards,
    Anupama