1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How To Choose The Obgyn/maternity Hospitals In Us?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Oct 25, 2018.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I moved to US 2 years back. I don't know completely about the medical system here.
    I got my positive pregnancy test at home today. This will be my second pregnancy. I had my first delivery in India. So,i really don't know where to start with. How to choose the OB or the maternity hospital.
    I know it all depends on the insurance which I have. I am just looking for the parameters i should check before choosing the hospital or OB.
    I have an OB near my place and it is a OB office(only one OB in that office). Not a practice. I am on a dilemma to choose an OB from a practice (where there will be many OBs) or single dr office. And should i consider the hospital also where the doctor delivers? What should I check while selecting the hospital? And do the hospitals have any OB office inside?

Please share your inputs.
    Thank you.

2. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Hi @gknew
    First of all , congratulations !!!

1) Ob/ gyn - first step is checking which all Ob/ gyn are in network providers with your insurance .
    Secondly, after you have zeroed down all the in network Ob/ gyn, try to do some research like reviews on Internet etc , recommedation from friends .

2)Hospital - usually your Ob/ gyn will be affiliated with 2-3 hospitals in the area . Choose the hospital nearest to your place or the one which has a good NICU ( neonatal intensive care unit) .

3) IMO, go for an Ob/ gyn practice and tell them you want to see a different dr during the initial visits and then choose the one you are most comfortable with. Usually practices with a number of doctors are familiar with this routine .

If you go to a single dr practice , make sure he/ she comes with plenty of good recommendations and also try to find out who is their emergency proxy ( in case your dr is unavailable / out of town during any emergency ).

From my experience , I would suggest go to a practice where you can find mid- wives in addition to doctors . My experience with mid wives was great.

Since you recently found out you are pregnant , you still have some time to go to the Ob/ gyn for first visit( they don't see you before 8 weeks in US ) . I suggest use this time wisely and do your research.

Also if you don't like the practice you choose initially , you can still switch to a different practice somewhere around 2 nd trimester .

Hope this helps . Congratulations once again.

gknew likes this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

I missed out on 1 question - yes , some hospitals , especially a hospital asstd with teaching ( university hospital ) have their own Ob/ gyn faculty . You can go there too if you have one in your area .

gknew likes this.
  4. blooms4me

blooms4me Bronze IL'ite

@gknew
    When we moved to USA years ago, my husband was a Masters student here. And so when we got pregnant we signed up for Medicaid, since we qualified for low income. And all the pregnancy related expenses along with the cost of my C-section was covered. It was a relief at that time. But in case you do not qualify for it,and you have insurance, try searching for a OB/GYN that is covered by your insurance. You can check the insurance website or call them to find out. This can reduce expenses a little bit. Also first few visits you can try going to some free community center places or planned parenthood or something until you figure things out.
    Also once you select your OB/GYN they will suggest a hospital for delivery where they have privileges to deliver. Also look into Midwifes if you are interested. They are also well qualified

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    gknew likes this.