1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to choose the correct bra

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by latha kulkarni, Jan 9, 2008.

1. latha kulkarni

latha kulkarni New IL'ite

Dear friends

I am new to this site. Recently i came to US. I am unable to select the right bra. could u please help me out with the same. Is there any paricular company or even the one which we get in target is ok? Can u say which panties r good too.

Thankyou.

2. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Latha,
    Welcome to IL.
    (from answers. yahoo.com)
    "
    * Undress completely on the top.
    * Measure yourself in inches around the ribcage below your bust. (Data A)
    * Now measure yourself around the fullest part of your bust. (Data B)
    * Add five onto the first measurement to get your bra size (in inches). If it happens to be an odd number, round it off to the next higher even number. So 33 becomes 34.
    * To find out the cup size, use simple calculation....
    - if there's no difference in data 'A' and 'B' cup size is A...
    - if difference is 1 inch then size is B'
    - if 2 inches, its C
    - if 3 inches its D;
    - if 4 inches, its DD,
    - if 5 inches then its E
    - if 6 inches its F
    - if 7 inches its FF
    - if it is 8 inches or more your cup size is G"

Hope this helps,

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

hi

A very good information. All leading brands sell their products with this measurement as the base.

4. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Sindhuja,

That was indeed a very useful information that i was looking for so long.Thank u very much.

5. padmamadhavan

padmamadhavan New IL'ite

Regarding panties u can try Fruit of the loom brand. Its very light and u will feel comfortable.Its available in walmart too.

6. latha kulkarni

Dear sinduja and Padma

Thank you very much for ur information. Really helps me a lot.

7. latha kulkarni

Dear friends

Can u please sya me which bra brands are good and where can i get them.

thank you.

8. rya

rya Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Have anyone tried victoria's secret? since it is expensive,i have not chosen that brand..but i need good quality products.Does victoria's secret really durable and worth for money? if anybody used it please share..
    thanks
    ramya

9. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

For me Playtex seems to be good and worthy...stayed away from VS cos of the high cost...may be my indian mentality why so much money for a intimate...lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Serenity_John

Serenity_John Bronze IL'ite

One way you can get a correct measurement is to go to a department store like JcPenney, Macy's, Nordstrom, etc in a mall and ask a bra fitter (usually a saleswoman in lingerie dept of the store) if they can measure you.

They will take you to a fitting room and measure your size for you with a tape (you dont' have to undress unless you are wearing thick clothes or padded bra that might affect the measurement).

After knowing your size you can go and find bras in the store or any where else like even walmart which has low priced but good bras too.

However, MAKE SURE to try the bra on even if it's correct size since different manufacturers measurements might differ slightly that if you are 36 B in one brand, you might be 34 DDD in another one.

When you try on a bra, consider these tips:
    It should feel good
    A great fitting bra shouldn't dig, pull, poke or otherwise cause discomfort. If it does, it's not the right bra (or size) for you. Make sure it feels comfortable when you sit down and move around.

It should look good!
    Always try your bras on wearing a t-shirt – it's the best way to see what it's doing for you. A great fitting bra can make you look taller, will define your waist, and even make you look slimmer!

Don't settle for wrinkles
    If you see extra fabric or wrinkly, baggy cups, the cup size is too big. Try sizing down.

Don't fall out
    Take a look at the front of the bra. There shouldn't be any breast tissue spillage, puddling, or falling out of the bottom of the cups. If there is, your cup size is too small. Try sizing up for a flattering, more natural looking fit.

Straps shouldn't work too hard
    Your bra's support comes from the band, not the straps. So be sure that you're wearing the correct band size. Too big, and your straps will end up taking the weight, which will cause them to put pressure on your shoulders and dig in.

Is your band straight?
    Look in the mirror from the side. Your band should be at the same level all the way around. If it is riding up in back, it's probably too big. Try sizing down a band size or tightening your band.

Mind the gap
    The center front of your bra should lie flat against the breastbone. It should not lie on top of any breast tissue. If there's a large gap, you may need to go up a cup size.

How tight is right?
    Your band should feel firm and secure, but you should also be able to slip two fingers beneath the band in back, and one in the center in front. If you can't, you may need to loosen your band a bit, or go up a size.

Underwires shouldn't dig
    Underwires should lie flat at the front of your bra, against your ribcage. If you feel your underwire digging into any breast tissue, you should try a larger cup size or a different style. (Usually if you're C cup or larger, you might need a bra with underwire for support!)

Bras stretch over time
    Be sure you're wearing your bra on the loosest hook. Your bras can stretch with washing and wear, so when you buy a new bra, it's best to ensure it fits properly on a loose hook, so you can tighten it as needed.

How to know when you've found a perfect fit?
    Your breasts will feel like they are "sitting" in the cups, you will not feel any underwire pinching and your bra will feel comfortable and supportive. You shouldn't have to settle for a so-so fit. Sometimes you will have to go up a cup size or two. Don't let it concern you – sizes do vary among brands.

Finding the perfect bra takes time and patience, but the way you will look (and feel) once you have found it will be worth all of your effort.

Reminder
    Check back in six months or so. You should re-evaluate your bras regularly to be sure they are fitting you the way they should – because a woman's body does change over time, and bras stretch and lose shape with repeated wear and washing. It may be time to stock-up again, soon!

PS: Often, you might notice that if you try on bras that are same size and cup but different brands, then they might not be comfortable for some reason. So when you do find a bra that's comfortable, try to buy a couple more of the same bra and size!

A skin color bra goes with white or light colored tops and sometimes even under sheer black tops while a black bra goes with dark color and black tops. So, try to buy a couple of skin color and black color bras. White color bras are risky since under white color tops and sometimes under light colored tops especially it is very noticeable.

Good luck,

Serenity :D

1 person likes this.