1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Choose Best Mattress For Back Pain?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by sunithapu, Jan 10, 2017.

1. sunithapu

sunithapu New IL'ite

Hi I had a spinal injury many years ago, due to which i am suffering from severe chronic back pain. Kindly suggest what type of mattress to go for?

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In India I used to love the firm coir mattresses. Will that hurt your back or provide some support? Since you have had an injury, be very careful what you choose. Do you see any docs for your chronic back pain? Do get recommendations from your ortho. They probably get this question all time.

@Shanvy - Do you have any mattress recommendations?

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09 happy new year, belated though.

I use coir mattress from the orthopaedic range. I would suggest visit a showroom check for the bounce. A sturdy mattress that does not dip or dent a lot works good for me. You can even customise the mattress according to your need. Mine was done by a sleepwel dealer

Laks09 likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy - Thanks for stepping in and Happy New Year! Hope you had a fun pongal celebration!

Shanvy likes this.
  5. bobby231

bobby231 New IL'ite

When choosing a mattress for back pain, there are a few things to keep in mind:

- Whether the mattress is firm enough to support your lower back if you are a back-sleeper while being soft enough to - contour to your body. In fact, too-stiff mattresses tend to push against the spine while too-soft mattresses don't offer enough support. A medium firm mattress is ideal for this type of sleeper.
    - For side sleepers, a mattress with slight softness is necessary to cushion the shoulders and hips.
    - Stomach sleepers (who very likely sleep this way because of lower back pain) need a firmer mattress to keep them afloat.

6. Anisha01

Anisha01 New IL'ite

I agree with bobby231...

7. Tapuiyer

Tapuiyer New IL'ite

You might find cotton mattress from Bed and Wood useful, they do indicate research from India about back pain studies compared to foam mattress