How to choose a Gyn in US ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by S0na, Jun 2, 2010.

1. S0na

S0na Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I am 11 weeks pregnant..Recently we moved from India to US.I had been to gyn in India after 7 weeks.So completed the initial blood test and Sonography there just to make sure everything is ok ...As i was travelling.Now i need to find a Gyn here...in US.

Plz tell me how the system works here..I have a insurance which does not require referrals..open access.Doing some net search if i find a doc ..where will i get admitted at the time of delivery.The doc would be seeing me at her office all these mnths.Some one suggested to pre-register with a hospital with which my Gyn is associated.Plz clear my doubts.

2. deepthisrinivas

deepthisrinivas New IL'ite

it depends on ur insurance..for me here tey r group of docs...i can select my doc for evry visit....i found my doc through my insurance.....n dont think tat indian gyn r best i felt americans r far better tan indians....for ur next visit try to ask all ur dougts...if the gyn is able to ans all ur queries n ur coomfertable goahead or chng ur doc for next vist ...i did the same as i had group of doc....now i m 27weeks pregnant...all the best for ur pregancy

3. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Hi Sona,

Things are pretty uncomplicated here in the US. If you don't require referrals, I am assuming you have a PPO insurance policy. So you can choose an OB , call up their office and fix an appointment. Usually, at least in San Francisco, where I stay, the OBs are located near the hospitals where they practice . You would be admitted to the same hospital and your OB would ideally be there at the time of your delivery.
    I yelped and researched a bit before choosing my OB and recently I had to change OBs due to personal reasons. Make sure that you are comfortable with your OB since this person would be taking care of you the next 9 months, make sure its someone who can work with!

Talk to friends and ask around. Try putting up a question here on Indus ladies asking for OB suggestions.

Hope this helps. All the best:thumbsup

Deepa

4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is it required that the ob/gyn or the hospital we choose should be in close vicinity ? am comfortable with an ob/gyn who is 12 miles from my house. however my dh feels I should start looking for some one close for a pre-natal check. Is that required ?

5. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Hi Ranchu,

No, its not required but I feel the closer you get to your due date the more difficult it would be to commute. Even if your OB is far off, at least you should be familiar with a nearby hospital, just in case of any eventuality.

take care!

Deepa