1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to change my husband's opinion for non conservative dressing.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by preethi111, Dec 16, 2007.

1. preethi111

preethi111 New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I heard many times right from my college days that it quite happens that husband and wife have different tastes on many things. It also happened in my case that my hubby always wants me wear loose dresses and never allow me wear tight tops and fashion dresses. But I like to wear them and my friends also say I look great in tights and jeans. Its not that he is not aware of the current trends because most of his friends wives also wear them when they visit us and my friends also do the same. I dont know how to change his mind. Luckily he is on camps on most occasions giving me chance to wear the ones likes most when I go out for parties.

preethi

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Re: How to change my husband

Why dont u strike a balance b/n what your husband wants and what u want to wear. Even my husband is very conservative although living abroad for 10 yrs.So if we go out 2 times a week ,Once i wear what he wants and once i wear what i want. I am doing this from the time I am married so now he isnt so demanding. Why dont u do the same.It might help.

3. LAVNA NAIR

LAVNA NAIR New IL'ite

Re: How to change my husband

hi preeti,

ya i think idea from chocolate is great. u should balance ur dressing. Once fit ur taste and another time as ur hubby's taste. And onother ideas is why dont u wear as ur taste at home. Maybe he will realize that its really suit for you and u also will feel satisfied cse wearing as what u want. Try to show him some fashion magazine and tell him how nice if u wears all that stuff. And it will be great when someone praise ur dressing in front of him. He might change his mind......

Friend,
    -Lavna-

4. jasminerule

jasminerule Junior IL'ite

By wearing revealing dresses, people will look down on you and will not respect your family as a whole. Fashion magazine is just that it's fashion not everything on it is practical for everyday wear. You can dress conservatively and be very sexy at the same time. It's really depend on how you layer them and if the color coordinate fashionably. If you do it right, they look one thousand times better than those dresses that reveal your boobs or behind.....
    Look at how sexy our sarees look.

5. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

I dont understand Jasmine....wht do u mean by ur post...but i also feel sometimes to look good....and if something fits me correct why should i buy a looser version and say its my conservative dressing...wht sense it makes if size 2 fits but i take size 8 or 10 and wear them...we look bad if we dont wear our correct sizes...and suppose ur in US, how am i supposed to wear saree to work daily...i dont get ur point at all
    -Priya

6. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Preethi111,

I personally feel its a cheating to do something in his absence. If I were you , I would find out the reasons he has to support his thinking. If its solely for dignity he wants to see in others for his wife. I would respect the wish. However I would modify my own dressing in the way it makes me happy as well as him. Get more creative and smart in choosing dresses. It s always better to have a husband who cares for your dress than one who doesnot give a damn.
    Marital relation is little different than any other relation. It has reciprocation going in two ways. Lets say you dont prefer your husband talking too friendly to other ladies, How would you feel if he does it on trips in your absence. I think its very important to build a sembalanace of thinking for happy marriage to blossom.
    You dont have to totally give up your choice in dressing, you may just need to refine it to suite both of your taste. I am sure you would have asked some moderation for his habbits, whichever you dont like.

These are small ways we adapt each other to have harmony in marriage. It goes long way than we think.
    Ria

1 person likes this.
  7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Ria

I like your advice. I have been reading this thread for sometime now and was waiting for a sensible advice from someone and I finally think it has come from you. I too feel the same way as you. Most husbands like their wives to dress in one particular way because they don't want others to look down on their wife's sense of dressing. It shows that the husband is very possessive of his wife and frankly,what is wrong with that.I think such a wife is blessed to have a truly loving husband.:clap

8. jasminerule

Preethi,

"never allow me wear tight tops and fashion dresses". My respond based on this quote from your post, you did not state that you wanted to wear clothes that fit you nicely but you said you like to wear "tight tops". I've never asked you to wear saree either, It just meant that women look very sexy and classy in sarees not provocatively even though sarees do not reveal much. Yes, I've lived in US about half of my life and I am not an old woman. Big Laugh

I completely agree with Ria. If respect for my family can be earned just by wearing decent clothing I definetely will comply with my husband. It doesn't mean I am a weak person, I jsut want my family to be respected by our community and friends. Try to see things from your husband perspective. I reread my previous post but did not see anything I wrote was mean.

9. preetho

preetho New IL'ite

Hi Preethi,

I do agree and understand your feelings, but you can always compromise and get what you want......you can wear a jean and wear a kurti kind of tops, so that it is not tight and revealing, yet fashionable.

Ive been in the usa too and you can wear long skirts that cover you fully and looks gracious too.....

Try to have a balance in your life.....

Its only small things that make a large difference.....

luv

pree

10. jasminerule

Sorry my last post should address to HYDG not Preethi

Sorry my last post should address to HYDG not Preethi