1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Avoid Pasta/maggi Noodles For Kids...any Healthy Alternative For Maggi?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Daffodil13, Jul 27, 2018.

1. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I have faced the same issue with my child when it comes to vegetables as well.. so I started cooking n grinding the vegetables to make pizza, pasta sauce, add a lil sugar to season as well, as the kids like that sweetness in pizza / pasta sauces.

I also boil n mash vegetables to add in any other food as well.

So that all the vegetables gets eaten, I even chop the curry leaves, mint n coriander leaves really tiny.

For noodles, u get many different varieties these days, spinach, carrots, wheat, millet noodles.. u can try any of those..

Daffodil13 and ChennaiExpress like this.
  2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Try whole wheat pasta with home made pesto or tomato sauce. I sneak in some spinach while making the pesto and load the pasta with mushrooms and veggies. The son loves it .
    You can buy regular noodles and add ginger, garlic, veggies, tomatoes and some sambhar powder . It does taste a bit like Maggi.

Daffodil13 likes this.
  3. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anisu, she is very clever in that way. She says lets go and buy a packet of it...;)
    She doesnt eat semiya at all...:(
    Feeding her veggies & fruits is a big big challenge to me...
    Now a days , I am forcing her to complete veggies in her plate and only then I give her chocolate piece or sweet...(her treat in a day...:) )

4. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hey shreepriya, thanks dear...Can you tell me where I can get this Organic millet noodles in India?
    Either any store name or online..Give me the brand name so that i can check in Bigbasket

I saw Hebbar's kitchen and other sites and made tomato sauce at home during this weekend. It came out fine but not to the taste of store bought. Luckily my girl liked it...:)

I tried seeing this recipes in opos method, couldnt find good link to see these recipes ...esp for cakes and Jams...Can you ping me the link which you have if any..

5. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks dear...I actually tried tomato ketch up this weekend and it turned out to be OK ok..

6. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ashneys,

I couldnt understand..you mean u will cook & grind vegetables and add them while making Pizza sauce? If so what veggies can be added while making sauce?

7. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hey dear, thanks let me try this normal noodles with sambar powder and see..

8. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Daffodil13 , how many times are you giving pasta and Maggie in a week ??

You can make white sauce with cauliflower, you can google there are so many recipes.

Also instead of buying sauce for red pasta you can make the sauce from tomato and red capsicum.

Also try some pesto to make at home this way you can feed some peas and other herbs.

I don't mind giving pasta to my son as I can feed him some veggies along with the pasta. In fact it's in our menu every week either in lunch/dinner.

9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Will try to explain further

I generally boil / steam - tomato, capsicum, pumpkin, Spinach, carrot, broccoli, cauli flower - basically any vegetables that you can use - n grind it to purée
    Then cook chopped onion, garlic, fresh / dry herbs like basil, oregano or any herbs you like, seasoning, some sugar for sweetness, add the veg purée - adjust the recipe to your family’s taste - this can be used as pizza / pasta sauce.

Or you can cook the whole thing together n grind to a purée. My family likes chunky sauce, so I do the other way.

I use the veggie purée or finely grated veggies for making rotis, idli dosas, gravies, chutneys, basically anywhere I can replace the water with or can sneak in any food.

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

One of the things that really helped me in getting my daughter to eat more veggies is to take her for vegetable shopping and get her to pick what she likes. I also involve her in cooking. I cut the veggies and she washes them for me, measures, adds salt/pepper etc. This got her to take pride in what she is doing and eventually eat it. In the beginning, she wouldn’t take more than a bite. Now, she has a full serving of it, just because she helped make it. She is 7 now and I started this 2 years ago. with the exception of capsicum/ peppers, she eats all other veggies now.

For pasta/pizza/noodles kind of food, I wouldn’t completely ban them. Make a deal with her that once a week, she gets to order pizza. You can tell her that you wont complain even if she eats just the base. No nagging what-so-ever. Just give her what you normally eat. She may eat less the first few days but I know it will improve with time. Good luck.

Daffodil13 likes this.