1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How To Avoid Kitchen Smells From Indian Masalas?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sanjuruby3, Aug 9, 2016.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    How do you avoid kitchen smells? In the past I have done many tricks like air freshners, candles, closing doors, windows open.. but nothing seems to work. Moreover, in hurry and with toddler, I do not always remember to close doors., open windows and I tend to multi task while masala on stove cooking.

Tricks like Cooking cinnmon in crock pot etc ( to get rid of cooking smell), boiling vinegar (it absorbs) parallely while cooking masalas- all these are lot of work.

I love candles and have been using lot lately, but not 100% effective and expensive.
    What do you do? What products in market work on indian foods?

2. niriha

niriha Bronze IL'ite

Hi sanjuruby,
    I have not tried this, but my friends used to advice to keep a small bowl full of tea or coffee powder.it would absorb the masala smell itseems

Regards,
    Niriha

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The best solution is to have a hood that vents to the outside, not one that just recirculates air. If you have your own place I would look into getting one installed. I have no problem at all with lingering smells in my kitchen.
    The next best thing is to have a window open while cooking, which works best in good weather. You can also try putting out a fresh dish of baking soda and/or activated charcoal each time to catch odors. The baking soda packs work well for the fridge, so they may be effective in picking up cooking smells too. You can get giant bags of baking soda cheaply at places like Costco.

5 Tips for Getting Rid of Cooking Smells — Tips From The Kitchn

4. sanjuruby3

Thanks girls. I live in a tiny apartment ( and tiny open style kitchen with very less counterspace) so can not do installation etc. Also Kitchen does not have any direct window :-(. I do open windows whenever I rembr.
    I have baking soda in fridge. I will look for bigger packs

I kind of stopped using air sprays etc knowin side effects. I been burn lot of scented candles lately and love it while googling on kitchen smells, found out how poisonous they are so I think I better be living with smells :-((( or move to india where atleast these minor things were not issue.. everything was permissible

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I remember reading somewhere that cooking rice in the end (in a rice cooker) will eliminate most of the smells or the other smells get replaced with rice smell. Try that and see. Also check this out How To: Eliminate Cooking Smells From A Studio Apartment boiling lemon while cooking does not seem that bad!

6. sanjuruby3

I guess I have only 3 options here
    1. learn not to cook indian spices much. i have cut down cooking of many veggies actually like cauliflower
    2. Use air wicks etc fresheners which I stopped using because of kid in the house and poisonus gases released.
    3. Create extra work for me - keep boiling lemons or vinegar, open windows, shut other doors.
    Its not that we cook once/week..