1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

How to approach schools on admission procedures?

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by charuchitthra, Mar 6, 2008.

1. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I am Charu, presntly in Canada with a kid of 18 months old. Am planning to return to India before the start of next academic year(Jun 2009). I ll be traveling to India by Aug 2008 for a month vacation.
    Wat I look for in a school is it shud nt have too many students crammed up in one class. Say 25 to 30 students per class is ok. It shud ve extra curricular activities like sloka, geetha classes, painting and shud develop kids other interests too and be disciplined as well. I don mind even if they ve exams from kg.

I need to know the following.

How do I get in touch with schools for admission procedures?

I live in Mandaveli area . Actually wat r the areas in which I shud be looking for schools if am living In Manadaveli?(Some 5 to 6 km travel everyday shud be ok too).Wat r the gud schools in and around that area?

I heard of one school called P.S . Hows that school?

When ll the admission procedure start? Should I book for admission during Aug 2008 itself? If I am in Canada during Dec2008 /Jan 2009 ll the school accept some guardian to apply on my behalf and go thru with admission procedures? Or shud I go there in person for that?

As of now one Indian colleague suggested two schools in Chennai

PS in mandaveli
    PSBB in kk nagar( She said I ll have to relocate though for this school. But says thats the best)

Can somebody answer the last question in the view of these two schools in particular also?

Please help.
    I have to decide about staying here r returning back to India sooner based on the answers only.

Expecting ur help.

Thanking u all in anticipation.

Regards,
    CC

2. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear charu,

you can see many threads regarding school in the "school goers forum "

as our friend shanvy has given good informations on schools, you can see those threads.............

love
    padma

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Charu,

Btw my DD is also a charu. Regarding your school requirement just go through,this thread
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schoolgoers/18621-school-hunting.html

And the two schools mentioned by you p.s.s.senior secondary school, mandaveli is a good school. pssbb is also good.

you could also check out harishree vidyalaya at RA puram which had got some good feedback from nri parents...

4. charuchitthra

Hi Shanvy,

Thanks for the immediate reply. The thread u posted was very informative. I felt better when I knew so many ppl ve done it before. As of now my kid is 17 months old (Sep 2006). She llb 2 years and 9 months old in the next academic year ir Jun 09.

Actually when do we start her education? Some say schools dont admit kids below 3 years. Some say u ve to put kid in 2 and half years in pkg and then it llb 3 and half when it goes to lkg . Some schools dont ve pkg and they directly admit kids to lkg at the age of 3 and half ( this is wat they say abt psbb).

I want to know wats the procedure r the right age. and if we can apply online for pkg for ps school. and if psbb has pkg ? and if so wats the age they ll admit kids?

i got al theese info from ppl who come here from india. i dunno if its the latest trend. can sumbody help me please again? am so confused.

Regards,
    CC

5. charuchitthra

Hi Shanvy,

Thanks for the immediate reply. The thread u posted was very informative. I felt better when I knew so many ppl ve done it before. As of now my kid is 17 months old (Sep 2006). She llb 2 years and 9 months old in the next academic year ir Jun 09.

Actually when do we start her education? Some say schools dont admit kids below 3 years. Some say u ve to put kid in 2 and half years in pkg and then it llb 3 and half when it goes to lkg . Some schools dont ve pkg and they directly admit kids to lkg at the age of 3 and half ( this is wat they say abt psbb).

I want to know wats the procedure r the right age. and if we can apply online for pkg for ps school. and if psbb has pkg ? and if so wats the age they ll admit kids?

i got al theese info from ppl who come here from india. i dunno if its the latest trend. can sumbody help me please again? am so confused.

Regards,
    CC

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Charu,

you are welcome..

In my opinion the child has to have completed 3 by march of the year when you want to start her schooling.but your daughter will be only 2.9 by june which will not be acceptable for kg. but there are some schools which take kids at 2.5. but i am definitely against a child in lkg before 3+. So again it is your take on the subject. even this age factor has been discussed in the schools subforum..be patient and go through the subforum under chennai and you will see so many threads related...and gather all the info analyse and if you still have a confusion do post it here..we are here to help each other...

there is still time to 2009..you need to decide only around november/december 2008

7. Sri2007

Sri2007 New IL'ite

Hi all,

I am a newcomer here. I have been a slient reader .You guys are doing a great job.
    I would like some information.We are currently in USA. I have a daughter born on may 2000. She is going to 2nd grade in US.We are planning to return to Chennai..But not sure when ..I looking for all the options. I work in IT(for an MNC company)..so will be working in one of their branches.(i dont know which location).
    I believe my daughter will be going to 6th grade in India in June 2010.She doenst know tamil , but can understand it.as i speak to her in tamil.I am trying to teach her before she comes there..I dont want to go for International schools.
    Here are my questions

1) is admission to 6th grade is difficult?
    2) How and when should i start approaching the schools .. I need to know the time frame so that i can plan my move to chennai according to that.
    3) Is admission to 8th grade difficult? -

Why I am asking this question is this:-
    - Since my daughter doesnt know tamil and Indian school system is different I thought of another option ..instead of putting her in 6th grade in one of the schools in chennai, I can put her in my native place(madurai) in a normal school and let her get used to the education system/tamil .In 2 yrs (6th,7th std) she would be trained well (with tutions and extra care) so that she would be ready for the schools/competetions in chennai.

Thanks a lot in advance
    Sri

8. charuchitthra

Hi All,
    Shanvy ,
    As u said I went thru all the threads in the schools section. I do have to mention the extensive research u ve done in tht subject is fabulous. It ll b a must read for anybody with kids. Now I ve narrowed down my search and have shortlisted jus these schools

1. PSBB KKNagar
    2. P.S. SR Mylapore
    3. Bal vidhya mandir Adyar
    4. Vidhyamandir Mylapore

As on June 2009 ,my daughter ll b 2 years and nine months old which makes her ineligible to apply for lkg in PSBB(kid shud ve completed 3 by Dec the year before) and in Vidhyamandir, Bal vidhyamandir( kid shud ve completed 3 years by may of tht year)

The only option I have now is P.S Mylapore (who admit kids only in pkg and not in lkg . So if i want my kid studying here i shud apply for pkg itself) who admit kids who r above 2 nad half as in may of tht year)

I wish to recieve further feedbacks abt tht particular school , How it fares in results, hows the co curricular n extra curricular activities, and whether the parents and kids need to be present for admission or can the guardian sign on our behalf? I tried their website but that has not been updated for a year now.

I am planning to put her to school early for the reason tht she s not speaking yet. The thing is she doesnt even show interest in speaking. If she wants sumthng she drags u there n shows the thing n gets it. Even if i teach her the name of the thing she s not interested in it. She doesnt even bother to try n repeat it. So i felt if she s with kids she ll have the initiative to speak. Moreover here its jus me n her for the better part of the day. After my hub comes home from work he ll try to play n teach. But it llb hardly two to three hrs in a day. Thts y I think if i put her with more kids she ll learn to speak. I wud like to hear from u all abt wat u think abt this ? ll my plan work? other than tht she s very intelligent.

Shanvy ,

Wud like to hear ur views on tht.

Regards,
    CC

9. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    There is another gud pre school at Alwarpet.,Euro Kids:bowdown.My kid studied there and kids have real fun over there...no morning tantrums...cheerful teachers.........plenty of activities and very few kids per batch.They have two classes ,Nursery(Ages 1.8-2.5) and playschool(2.5-3.5). I wud recommend the school to anyone who wants their child to enjoy schooling.
    Good Luck

10. charuchitthra

Thank u bindhudhani

Hi bindhudhani,

Thank u for ur reply. Am also considering putting her in a play school for this year n putting her in PSBB or BVM or VM next year. I live evry close to P.S Sr school. So only am interested in that.
    Regards,
    CC