1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to apply for EAD in US/Other EAD Questions

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by vaishnavilakshmi, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Re: Need suggestions

Hi
    You read my mind... pl let me know in case you get any PM.

2. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Need suggestions

Hi Ladies,

I'm assuming that you two fall under the India category (if you were born in some other country, then you would come in that country's quota regardless of your citizenship).

If you want to apply for your green card now, that means you would need to file for your labor certificate first. Under PERM, that takes a weeks/months...Once that comes, you can file for the second stage I-140.

For the third and last stage of the green card, I-485, you need to have a priority date that is current. Priority date is the date you filed your labor certificate. So if you file your LC on June 15th, 2008, your PD is 6/15/2008.

By 'current', it is meant that in the USCIS monthly bulletin, the category of visa (under which you filed e.g. EB1, EB2, EB3 etc) should be "C" under country India.

Right now the dates are not current. For India EB3, USCIS is looking at applications that have a PD of April, 2001. For India EB2, USCIS is looking at applications that had a PD of 2004.

It is only AFTER you apply for I-485, that you can apply for your EAD (which takes about 3-6 months to come).

So looking at all this, you can make a guess about how long it will take for your EAD to come...

not good news I know...*sigh*

Regards,
    Aarushi

3. golda

golda New IL'ite

Re: EAD process - How long does it take for EAD to come?

Hi Thanks for the information

4. gli

gli New IL'ite

when did u get EAd

Hi,

my spouse is going to apply green card
    1..Is perm process better than the regular one..?..
    2.How long will it take to get EAD under the regular process?..under EB3 or EB2 category..
    3.Anybody have timeframe of getting ead?plz tell me when did u apply for greencard and u got EAD?.
    4.During green card process should we not visit india?..Plz reply...

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: EAD process - How long does it take for EAD to come?

hey
    But EAD is valid for a year right, we need to renew it, i think we need to do the renewal 4 mos bfr..

6. ASingh

ASingh New IL'ite

Wife's EAD from OPT (F-1)

Hi,

I'm looking for some answers for my wife's visa issues. I'm on H1B (valid until 2010) and she is on OPT (Valid until Dec 20 2008. F-1 visa expired May 2008). My PERM labor is in process and we hope to file for I 140 and I 485 and EAD concurrently by September/ October 2008. My lawyer says that we can file concurrently because my wife's country of birth is in Europe.

Now the questions:

1. Is it okay for my wife to apply for EAD while on OPT with expired F-1 visa? Is there a requirement that wife has to be on H-4 to apply for EAD based on husband's GC proapplication?

2. EAD approval takes 3-4 months on average (forum knowledge.comComputer Typing.) So if she doesn't recieve her EAD approval by December 2008 (Dec 20 2008 her OPT expires) she will be out of status. Should we apply for H-4 so that she doesn't become out-of-status?

3. We expect that her EAD approval will come by Jan/ Feb 2009. There is a 2 month gap provision that foreign nationals sometimes use to change their status (Yes you guessed it forum knowledge.comComputer Typing.). Is it a safe bet to avoid getting her on H-4 and use the 2 month gap period?

4. How much does applying for H-4 cost? I'm simply expecting a range of sorts.

Thanks,

Abhishek

7. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Wife's EAD from OPT (F-1)

Hi Abhishek,

I think the best person to answer your first 3 questions would be an immigration lawyer. This is because your case has too many technical details that only a person well versed in the legal intricacies of the immigration system is best equipped to answer.

I don't think your wife needs to be on H4 for you to apply for an EAD on her behalf...but again it would be best to confirm with a lawyer.

Regards,
    Aarushi

8. ASingh

ASingh New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply Arushi.

Any more insights?

Abhishek

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Hello Abhishek,
    As far as I know this is what I think

1: OPT is not a visa status. Even if your wife is on OPT she is actually on “F-1 visa status”.
    As far as I know there is no expiry for F-1 visa status. If you see on her I-94 then it should say “D/S” (duration of study).
    2: If her OPT expires then she can register for zero/one credit hour at her university to maintain her F-1 visa status.

This is what my husband did 8 yrs ago when he came to do his Masters. Rules might have changed since then. You might be better off checking this with an immigration attorney
    Hoep this helps

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

working with EAD!

Hi

What are the advantages and disadvantages of working with EAD?