How should I teach my daughter Mathematics????

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kssuma14, Aug 3, 2011.

1. kssuma14

kssuma14 Bronze IL'ite

My daughter is in the 9th Std, CBSE Board... I have tried all possible things to teach her mathematics, including tuition. :bonk
    She loses marks because of silly mistakes, calculation errors. Somehow I feel the concepts in Mathematics does not sync in her.

She is in real bad shape and need attention.:drowning
    Please help.

2. kssuma14

kssuma14 Bronze IL'ite

I urgently require suggestions. Are there any simple ways of teaching mathematics ????

Pls help.

3. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi ,
    Its difficult to give a concrete suggestion without understanding what problems your daughter faces,which areas..but you can try out Khan's academy..give a search on google.This guy has created videos teaching concepts on literally all fields.. u can check it out,maybe it will be helpful.
    In Maths,one needs to practice a lot,but more important to understand the concepts.If she makes silly mistakes also,she will still be given marks till the step or point she is proceeding correctly.So she won't be getting 0 marks if the person correcting her paper feels that she understands the problem,and has just made a silly calc error etc.
    All the best!

4. kssuma14

kssuma14 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for the reply and the reference... The problem with my daughter is she does it well when I give her sums to practice at home, but God knows what happens to her during exams!!!! Many times the first or the second step itself is wrong, so she tends to lose marks. And somehow it has got into her head that she is not good at Maths and Maths is a tough subject, so I am finding it difficult to change her attitude towards the subject!!!!
    Any help????

5. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Looks like more of exam tension than being bad at maths. If she can do well at home and not in exams, probably the exam atmosphere is making her tense and causing her to make simple mistakes.

How about conducting some practice tests at home? You can give her the similar type of question paper with the time limit and all. If you can get some of her friends and all of them can sit together and complete, it would be more interesting to her too.

Once she gets the hang of it, she will find it easier to in exams too.

6. kssuma14

kssuma14 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it and give you the feedback.

7. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

If the problem is making mistakes only in exams, that may be due to the exam fear. Best way out will be asking her maths teacher to counsel her with encouraging and appreciating words, which will definitely bring about some improvement. It will help to boost her confidence level, which in turn will help her to overcome her exam fear. Good luck.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

first ask her to relax. and you give her the confidence and support that you understand how hard she works and you appreciate all her effort. your daughter at this stage needs more support to over come the fear, the tension rather than your irritation or anger.

next, make her practice sums. if the school does not use R.D.Sharma's maths text, get her one. make her practice a lot of sums. Some times you make silly mistakes like 5+5 = 25.. that is changing the operator or working out the sum correct, but making mistakes while noting the end result on the answer sheet..make her check her sums well

the most important thing is to learn to manage her time. get her a timer, and ask her to clear out question papers within a given time..say 3 hours and at the time, she should have 10/15 minutes left to verify her answer sheet..this goes a long way.

you could enrol into sites like extra marks, cbse guess, where in you can get model/mock question papers.

Maths is all about logical understanding and application. if she is just making silly mistakes, she is not dumb..and it is not about maths not sync..so please ensure that you do not talk in those terms in front of her. instead how about making it more relaxing for her to learn..she still has some time. she will learn by reworking on her mistakes..

also sit with her and make her jot down her strength and weakness. concentrate on the weakness. then she will learn to tackle..

it is just not about maths..these are simple steps in life, that our kids go through, were we as parents need to give them the support, either as the shoulder they hold to climb or the push from the back...it is how we do it that matters..

All the best to both of you.

9. kavithavijay

kavithavijay Platinum IL'ite

(I have tried all possible things to teach her mathematics, including tuition. S
    he loses marks because of silly mistakes, calculation errors. Somehow I feel the concepts in Mathematics does not sync in her. )

Dear Kssuma,
    I am also in the same situation except that my daughter is in 6th. when teaching she is fine but later she does lots of silly silly mistakes, I end up shouting at her and she starts crying and the whole story goes on....I think she is starting togget aversion towards Math. She understands everything at the time but when asked after few days bonk she is blank...I end up shouting...I know I am wrong but that moment I shout.:bonk:bonk....she doesn't co-operate doing lots of practice also...How do I Improve myself and help her? Otherwise she is a very good student. I am clueless......

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Looks like both you and your daughter are getting stressed out due to this problem. If you are feeling stressed by her silly mistakes or her lack of practice, how about enroling her in tuition? That way she will get additional practice. You can keep a track of her progress by checking her practice books or giving her tests to answer over weekends.

Sometimes kids dont like a particular subject because they dont like the teacher or the teaching methods. In such cases, having an additional (tuition) teacher helps a lot.