1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How practicable is measuring the calorie intake of every day ?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by darmesh, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think the greatest benefit of calorie counting using MFP is the ability to control macros. For instance, I have pcos induced insulin resistance. With my last pregnancy I had gestational diabetes, so basically red flags everywhere! At my last appointment my doc made it quite clear that I was heading for full blown diabetes within a decade. So for me calorie counting is absolutely imperative. Not just that, I have to eat a high protein, low carb diet in order to beat the insulin resistance. Anyone who eats Indian food knows that our food is a carb eaters dream come true. MFP allows me to experiment with my meals and recipes, and get to that daily protein number that my body so desperately needs. I haven't succeeded yet but I'm getting better at finding meal groupings that work for me.

1 person likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gauri,
    At one point I was hitting and exceeding protein macros. I'm slacking now but I did quite well for about a year. I used to recover so well from training! Now I'm toast after a hard long run. I need to do that again. My absolute fav is edamame. I should start eating that again!

1 person likes this.
  3. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Oh Laks- I have no dearth of those moments of indulgence. You are very active your caloric consumption is in line with that. Long runs need the necessary fuel.

My problem is too much indulgence. I blame my husband for it ....he has to take the blame as he is the one always suggesting eating out on weekend and most times 1-2 times on weekdays. I have strictly told him I don't want to eat out during weekdays.

Thankfully I don't drink alcohol and very limited caffeine- 3-4 cups of coffee or tea a week. Bread and desserts are my problem.

I know its not realistic to cut back on everything. So enter portion control.

1 person likes this.
  4. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gauri03, hmishra, rakhii, sdiva20 & lak09,

It is good to find you five persons who have really used the apps MFP and have successfully counted your daily calorie intake.

Honestly, I was believing that it is impracticable till day before yesterday.

Today is the second day, I have been trying to familiarize myself with MFP and its terminologies.

Within few days, probably one or two weeks, with daily effort, I will understand the apps more and more and will learn about calorie counting.

It is something like swimming. Unless one starts getting into water, one can not learn swimming.

Calorie counting is also as tough as swimming, but with sustained efforts it must become possible.

Thanks for your valuable information.

Without you guys, I would have never believed it is a process , fairly possible, though tough in the beginning.

I will keep coming to this thread once in two /three days and share my difficulties.

4 people like this.
  5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Losing g 1.5 kg per month, and a total of more than 10 kg overall has been possible for you using calorie counting method.

That is great !

The great irony is Rakhii...you already know that I am myself a para-medic, working in hospitals with Doctors. In my entire career, I have never seen a single Indian Doctor prescribing calorie counting to any of his patients. That is probably one more reason, I was so far believing it is impracticable. I have even asked my Doctor Boss about it, and have been several times told that it is impracticable for the Indian patients.

It is not easy. Yes, it is time consuming also. But now I am assured that it should be possible to me, as it has been possible to you five people.

I am sure it will work for me too. My aim is to lose 4 or 5 kg only, which I am finding impossible in the last ten years. I think, if I can successfully learn calorie counting, that will be a phenomenal break-through for me.

6. Gauri03

I really have a hard time controlling carbs. They are my bane. :( MFP has really helped in that regard. I should go back and take a look at your diary to get some ideas about meeting my protein goals. And thanks for the reminder about edamame. I like it too but I keep forgetting to get some. Need to make that trip to Costco that I've been avoiding for weeks...

1 person likes this.
  7. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gauri03, hmishra, rakhii, sdiva20 & lak09,

Thank you.

With your explanations in detail, I successfully calculated my total calories for today.

I noted down my individual food stuffs in a page. Then with the help of the food data base of MFP, I calculated the total calories as follows :

Breakfast :

200 ml tea - 80 cal
    1dig. biscuit - 66 cal
    1cucumber - 30 cal
    4 chapatis - 240 cal
    1cup aloo gravy-120 cal
    ---------
    total breakfast - 540 cal

Lunch :
    1cup of rice - 300 cal
    50g bindi fry- 150 cal
    100g curd - 100 cal
    1cucumber - 30 cal
    1mango - 100 cal
    ----------
    total lunch - 680 cal

Dinner :
    3 dosas - 270 cal
    1cup sambar- 300 cal
    200 ml milk - 150 cal
    3 dig biscuit - 150 cal
    ---------

total dinner - 870 cal

Total for the day : 540 + 680 + 870 = 2090 Calories !

I planned for 1970 calories and have exceeded it by 120 calories !

Great !! friendssmiley

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    4 people like this.
  8. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Wow! interesting thread Darmesh, i have to confess that i once told a friend who was counting calories that its not possible for me, you all here in this thread taught me something better :hatsoff will might come back here after delivery :)

9. Gauri03

That is fantastic! Do you feel you ate less than you normally do or about the same? I ask because when I started I realized I was eating less than my usual amount. The result were hunger pangs from hell! For a few weeks I was mad, hungry and very irritable. But I stuck it out and one day, almost as if a switch flipped in my head, I wasn't hungry all the time. My body adjusted to my diet and I've had very few instances of cravings since then. One tip is to chug a glass of water when you feel hungry. If the hunger goes away it means you weren't hungry to begin with. If it persists, then eat a small healthy snack.

Keep at it my friend. Persistence will definitely pay off.

2 people like this.
  10. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

That is gre8 darmesh.. i hope u'v realized now that how easy it is to eat much more than what ur body needs.. :)