1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How practicable is measuring the calorie intake of every day ?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by darmesh, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Well, I've been counting calories for the past three months. Haven't missed a single day since I started. I wanted to lose the weight I gained during my last pregnancy, so I started using myfitnesspal to track my net calorific intake. It was difficult initially, especially since Indian food is hard to track. But I got used to it and it's become much easier now. I've set my goal at losing 0.5lbs a week and I have lost 10lbs+ so far. This is without any regular exercise. In fact I'm just 5lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I set such a gradual pace of weight loss mainly to avoid issues with loose skin.

I think what helps most is to create standard recipes for the most commonly eaten foods in your household. Like, I always make dal exactly the same way so I know how many calories one serving contains. Also I do tend to frequently repeat a lot of the foods I eat. With Indian food you need to know the weights/measurements of the individual ingredients in a dish, and the number of servings they make. Over all I think I spend around 15-20 minutes everyday tracking my food, and I feel that considering the results that is time well spent.

3 people like this.
  2. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

I do count calories once in a while(mostly during weight loss time or if i see weight gain) and i do keep myself aware of the nutritional facts of a particular item i eat frequently(even for restaurants) and from that i can figure out much of what i should do eat...most of us in women(avg ht;desk job or stay at home) need to eat 1200-1500kcal..from this I have to have as much nutrition as possible...so i will eat the best available source of suppose say calcium with fewer calories..if you do not know what and how much to eat to get proper nutrition, how will you stay healthy?

weight loss if done in a very structured method keeps one healthy so if you do not know how many calories you are eating or you need to eat, it will be like playing with darts in the dark..I have never lost weight eating how much ever i want even if its healthy(has some good nutritional content)...both quantity and quality matter

how much can this be put into practice?depends again on the commitment of the person..once learned does not need much effort to practice for years

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Just to illustrate better, here's a page from my diary. This is from yesterday. Pretty much everyday looks like this. Tracking my food also makes planning meals easier, since I just have to go back and pick any random day to replicate.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I used myfitnesspal religiously too this time around. I've always been very slim. After the first pregnancy, I got back in shape just like that. This time around, the weight didn't budge. I always eat healthy and control portions et al but nothing seemed to work. Only when I started measuring ingredients and tracking intake did I lose the pregnancy weight. I'm generally very active, except for during pregnancy when I'm bed bound. I used to dance to Zumba or jazzercise 5-6 times a week. I also used to strength train twice a week. Only thing that worked was what my trainer said. She gave me a number and asked me to try and stay within. I did ad hoc without MFP initially and nothing. Then when I actually tracked(thanks to shiva's blog on measuring portions) I lost all that. I eat a lot of calories for someone my size though(2000 ish maintaining or 1800 losing). I believe in workout to eat more :)

3 people like this.
  5. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

I find keeping an approx count on calories does help in keeping weight in line. If i do need to loose weight I do take in less calories. I do not neccessarily count every calorie every day however when I go out for coffee , dinner etc I do note the calorie count on dishes/sweets etc and try and go for something lower in calories.
    This does help me keep to my desired weight.

6. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

I have lost weight and keeping account of my calories has helped me HUGE.. You must & should initially to know how much u r actually eating & how much ur body actually needs. Once u r aware of that, u wud not need these apps. But yes, initially u do need the help of counting calorie tools.
    Use Myfitnesspal. It has all the indian meals in their database so it wont be difficult to track ur meals, even if its prepared at home. U will always get a basic idea of calorie count in ur meals.

Its very easy to eat more than what ur body needs. I used to eat much more 1600 & m petite.. . My TDEE is just 1600. So if i eat 1600+ i will gain weight.. I used to eat about 1800 - 2000 calories and hence i started becoming fat. Once i started using MFP, i made sure i was within my calorie goal and i started creating a 500 cal deficit per day and hence started losing weight.
    Its not rocket science but yes it helps a lot...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  7. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.

We are learning something brand new here. It is good to see someone who has really counted calories with Indian food.

With reference to the red bold lettered one, we keep hearing this from many. But you have done tracking calories with Indian food successfully, so, we request you to come again to this thread, as many of us, including me are seriously interested in learning calorie counting with Indian food. We are starting now.

With reference to the green lettered one, by 'standard recipes' you mean, the amount of batter we put for one dosa should remain the same every day, right ?

With reference to the blue coloured one, did you use a tool to measure your Indian food stuffs like chapatti and gravy as to how many grams it is ? Do you recommend we should have a small weighing machine for this purpose ?

With reference to the pink coloured one, spending 20 minutes per day, every one is ready here, as this method definitely gives good results. Every one of us here do regular exercises, but are not losing weight. Probably because, we are not able to curtain our food intake.

If that is becoming possible just by spending 20 min per day, it is a worth it.

8. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Okay. I am right now into myfitnesspal app in my android phone. Today morning I am going to take four chappatis with potato, tomato gravy.

How do I calculate the calories for this breakfast, using myfitnetsspal ? Should I click 'recipes' ?

9. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

The answers are below.

1 person likes this.
  10. Gauri03

On MFP, when you click on the food tab it will show you your diary for today. Under breakfast click on 'Add food'. Now you can search for chapatti in their database. You will find many different options entered by other users. Now which one to select is a little tricky. It requires you to be able to at least guess how much your food weighs/measures. In my case, I actually took some dough and weighed it. Turns out I use approx 50-60gms of flour per roti. That amounts to 80 to 100 calories. Same applies to your curry. Instead of using the items from the database I like to save my own recipes, so that I can measure more precisely. So for potato-tomato gravy, I would add the amounts of oil, potatoes, tomatoes, and all other ingredients. I generally skip spices and water since they barely add to the calorific content. Once you have your recipe, you need to decide how many servings are in that recipe. That will give you the amount of calories per serving. It is tedious but as I said once your most frequently eaten foods are saved on MFP, you will find the process get much quicker and easier.

To answer your other questions, yes a standard a recipe is one you prepare in exactly the same way every time, so that variations in calorific content are minor. I do use a weighing scale and cup measures to measure everything I cook or eat. It is definitely a useful tool to invest in.

Hope this makes some sense. If you any other questions, please do ask.