1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How open can 'sex' related issues/things be?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by smart_soul, May 4, 2010.

1. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

I saw this today morning while in the bus to work. There is a mini truck precisely for the store 'Lovers'. And the explanation on the sides of it, just for the sake of advertising and popularizing their products says..
    "Lovers.. For Lubes, Vibrators, Dildos, Condoms, Sex toys...." etc., etc., and a lot more many of which I am not aware of.. (Call me ignorant.. ).:bonk And just beside that, in the next lane is a school bus loaded with kids going adjacent to this truck. Am sure the kids can read this and try to decipher some meaning out of these.

I am thinking if there is a need at all for the company/store to put such words on it's trucks? What are they(the store) trying to achieve and at what cost? Aren't they beating social awareness (rather making people/kids too much aware) at the cost of killing the innocence of the kids?

I know sex education is a little more open in developed countries. But as a parent, I am concerned about what my kid will be exposed to when some things get introduced to kids way too early than when they are supposed to.

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Even in India during 1985-90 there were condom ads on TV. We were kids then but get curious on what the Ad is trying to say. Even Doordarshan used to have the govt ads for that saying "We two, Ours two" or something like that.

But yes, I agree with the theme that smart_soul is saying about Kids losing innocence. Often I tell DW, that I am apalled at the amount of sex that is blared in TV, Media, Magazines, anywhere you turn.
    It can be done in places where there are adults, but in places which are common to all it is disturbing.

The only solution is to be mature parents, and not skirt issues, but try and explain (to extent possible) to kids when they ask questions. Because if you dont answer them, guess what? They are going to turn to other sources to find out.

I remember reading a hilarious thread in IL: "How did you think children were born when you were young?" or something like that. Our IL responses were funny (including mine). If I find the thread, I'll link it later.

Smart_Soul: In summary, Yes I agree with you.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  3. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

I remember those ads in Doordarshan and also remember my dad hiding his face into the newspaper and my mom walking away into the kitchen on such ads. But you see there were very few(rather just one or may be two) of those ads back then.

I totally agree with you, turn any side it's all sex related these days. I might sound like a oldie, but I like some of our old age principles and values . They had this verse "Ilai Marai Kaay" (I may not be able to translate this very well.... A fruit hidden by the leaves of the tree.. I know it's a bad translation.. bear with me guys). Sex was something like that until a decade back I think. I have no clue why this thing is so hyped up these days...(I know some people are gonna beat me now.. :crazy)

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

My take we need an intermediate thing.

Neither is it good how it was back then (everything hush, hush, hidden) - thats not healthy.

Too in your face is not great either.

There has to be a balance.

5. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Smart Soul, as much as we are concerned about kids and their exposure to sex, all these things are all around us. So it is left up to the discretion of the parent to educate their kids on what they want. If you have internet at home, then your kids potentially have exposure to everything if they have internet access. I am sure a 8 yr old or 10 yr old can google this information in this day and age.

As much as everyone is worried about kids and their exposure, the world does not revolve around kids. That sex shop truck has the freedom of expression to advertise their products and share the road with a school bus. So as you can see, that is how things are in the world we live in and it is up to you as a parent to protect them and expose them to what you want and what you don't want.

Bottomline, we cannot infringe on personal freedoms and liberties of adults for the sake of kids. We just have to learn to live in the world around us. As much as I care for children, I am also an ardent supporter and defender of personal freedoms and liberties.

6. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

European (excluding UK) countries like Germany, France etc are very open when it comes to sex related programs on the prime time TV. I was shocked to see the kind of programs that was broadcast on German TV during prime time. US is very conservative when compared to Europe ( - UK).

7. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Smart Soul,

It can be more open than it is today, in India - at least. I am quite annoyed at the hush-hush talks, and the loud glares people give when they talk on sex or related topics. I agree with Malavika here - the best thing to do is to understand that the world does not revolve around kids, and neither does a child's world revolve around knowing what sex means. A child sure does have other things to evince his interest, and as a parent, it is of foremost importance to not be secretive but take it as a matter of fact and explain.

Arch

8. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

US is very conservative when it comes to social policies compared to just about any developed country in the Western hemisphere and religion plays a big role in social and political policies in US. But again, in the US it differs from region to region.

9. kainaath

kainaath Senior IL'ite

smart soul.....kids today are more smarter than our times.
    some time back in the uk a boy of mere 12 yrs old became a father, and his lover was not more than 14yrs. when the boy was questioned about the situation and how did he find all the information about sex, simple answer..." just googled it"
    certainly all these information is readily available to the kids, and even the precaution that need to be taken.

another example... a recent survey in a Delhi, resulted in the students losing thier virginity at the average age of 13,having multiple partners, and knowing the different ways of precautions to be taken.

Now this is the same country where maybe you and me have grown up. So talking about countries like US and the European nations is secondary.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

S-s;
    I hear you:)
    Nowadays; I wish the world was filled with Elmo's and Dora's:) Well; that will remain a dream; so coming to reality.

As much as my knowledge(which is limited); the dissemination of condoms are encouraged as it is considered to be more useful to the society; wrt to prevention of stds and also unwanted births. So it is natural that the ad's of contraceptives won't have much "curbs".
    Also the normal " rule of law" is the greater good for larger number. So even under this the society's well being is considered more important.

About sex toys and sorts
    In US there are state laws which prevents any form of dissemation of indecent materials to minors. So; by the "obscene is defined in law as ; it includes anything that "it depicts or describes in a patently offensive
    manner, actual or simulated............masturbation, sadism..." etc etc
    And material is defined as " anything tangible which is capable of being used or adapted to arouse interest, whether through the medium of reading, observation, sound or in any other manner"

The word is "any other manner is very inclusive". So maybe an advocate can argue; upon those lines. But again the umbrella "of public liberty" " freedom of speech and expression" is very wide..wide enough to slip through. Law will take its own course and often will be overruled and a new precedent will be formed. So better not to hope for the law to tackle it.

So as a parent how we can tackle this issue; is never to shy away from this topic whenever it is brought up by our kids. It is always best for the kids to learn it from home rather than get a gruesome idea of the whole process. Never mind if it is too early. Once the curiosity is instilled they will find the ways to satiate it.
    Lately my LO (21 month) started to look into screen whenever she hears a "smooching" sound in the TV. So I started telling her that they are kissing. Now whenever a kissing sound comes from TV she is less curious and just says "kissy" and sometimes; plants a kiss to me.
    So let us brace ourselves and face the the "question times" that our LO's are going to throw to us. Do we have a better choice?

-Nitha​

Last edited: May 6, 2010