How Often You Replace Your Blanket/quilts?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gknew, Jan 18, 2023.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    How often you replace your blankets and quilts/comforters? I know there are many other names. But I am not very sure about the types.

When I say replace, not about washing it and replacing another one. I am asking about throwing that out and getting a new one. I have few comforters/blankets which I am using it for past few years. I have been washing those once in three weeks. Sometimes once a month.

There is no damage or tear on any of those. Just looks little old. But my hubby wanted to throw them off and buy new ones.

I know these are expensive. We did buy good ones though.

How often you replace your beddings?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I don’t think I’ve really thrown any of them out. I have nice sturdy quilts I bought from LL Bean and Company Store, and I brought a good number of cotton and Kantha quilts from India. We have good fleece blankets from Costco. All have been in circulation for over 10-20 years now.
    I use the fancy quilts more as a decoration on the top, and the blankets are used for covering while sleeping. So the quilts don’t really get dirty. I do take the bulky linens to the laundromat when they need cleaning since my home washer is not big enough.
    If you are planning to discard your sheets then animal shelters will be glad to receive them.

gknew and radv like this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the response @MalStrom
    Yeah I need to discard the sheets. I used to discard the sheets once every 2 years.

I didn't know animal shelters will get those. I will check it out.

Where do buy cotton and kantha quilts from India? Any online stores?
    I have bedding sets from Macy's as of now. It has come as a one set piece which includes sheet, pillow shams( I really don't know what that is and never used it), pillow case , comforter. Have 3 sets in each size. Queen and king. Been circulating it for last few years.

Now I am planning to get some cotton sheets and nice quilt/blankets. Any recommendations?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have been buying all my sheet sets from Costco for many years now. The choice may be less but the quality bud excellent. I also have their microfiber blankets and the Pendleton fleece blankets.
    I got most of my quilts from LL Bean long ago. I feel their selection is not as good now. I also have a few I bought at a good discount on Anthropologie.
    My cotton quilts in India are all purchased from Anokhi. My aunt got me the Kantha quilts from some exhibition in Bangalore. There are lots of people selling online but I don’t know about shipping. When I bought the quilts in India I packed them in vacuum bags so they would fit into my luggage.

gknew likes this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Quilt covers are another option if you like to give a make over to your old quilts/ comforters

gknew likes this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

What are these? Any links? Haven't tried these

7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I never bought any sheets from Costco. I will check it online. I saw one sheet set in store which was totally plain and white. No other options or colors. I will check online.

My other comforters have become thin and not so stuffy. Its been few years now. I assumed it will become thin and flat in few years and had to throw them off.

8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Not sure if I confuse you, its also referred as duvet cover. Like a pillow case, we can use it on a quilt/ comforter. Check videos on how to do it/ google
    =>example

gknew likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have bought some really good comforters at IKEA. They sell the basic comforter in different weights so you can buy according to season. Then you can put a duvet cover on it. So you can get multiple covers for each comforter if you like.

gknew likes this.