1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how much solid

Discussion in 'Infants' started by SBC, Dec 21, 2010.

1. SBC

SBC New IL'ite

Hi all,
    My LO is 6 and half months old, and has started with solids,she poops after every feed.her weight gain is consistent and is a happy baby,we checked with her doc and he says evrything is normal.
    But i am still worried as to why would a 6 month old baby poop 5 times a day?
    I am a first time mom,can you all experienced ladies help me as to the feeding questions.
    I feed her oatmeat or rice cereal in the morning mixed with fruit?
    in the afternoon she takes carrots and in the evening chicken or turkey.

how much is too much?how many Tbsp should she be having at this age?
    She is on Enfamil premium formula,how much formula should she take in 24 hrs.

your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    SBC.

2. rsingh234

rsingh234 New IL'ite

The bowel movements seem normal as long as they are not runny. In breastfed babies the bowel movements are after each feeding. I would not be alarmed, but if you are concerned, call your child's doctor for confirmation. In terms of the enfamil etc., I don't know much about the formula's you have to mix. I buy ready to feed.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

SBC,

I had the same concerns with my baby until he was about nine months old. He would poop after every feed. It was most disconcerting. However, my paed assured me that this was normal. It is okay for the baby to poop after every feed. It is okay for them to poop seven to eight times a day. Of course, you should watch out if the stools turn out watery, of different colour and stench. Also, if the baby turns weak after pooping. That apart, if you start some new food, that will induce more poop (horrors never cease, do thay???). When I started stewed pears, it was chaos. So, dont worry, baby sounds fine.

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

SBC - Pooping after every feed occurs because of something we all have called a gastrocolic reflex (in short, stretching of the stomach because of food causes a reflex contraction of the intestines); it tends to be active in infants and is usually supressed in older kids/adults. So thats completely normal. I do think however that a 6 mnth old does not need 3 solid feeds a day; one is good or 2 at the most; its better to introduce 3 meals/day after 8-9 months.Quantities - both solids/formula - is however much the baby wants to - there are no rules and since the needs vary so much from baby to baby its best to feed to demand and not worry about 'ideal' quantities at all.

Vanathi.