1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you know about Tuberculosis (TB)?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by coolblues, Mar 23, 2013.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Editor's Note: Thanks coolblues for posting this interesting poll and Q/A on tuberculosis facts. Your contribution has been selected as Best of Forums and featured here. You can share it with others too.

---------------

world_tb-day_1.jpg
    Did you know that tuberculosis affects more women in India than any other infectious diseases? Studies show that this disease mostly occurs in the age group of 15-49 years. Women are at increased risk to this disease during their reproductive years. This tuberculosis quiz will help you know the symptoms, causes and treatment of this highly contagious killer disease.

1. What causes tuberculosis?
    a) Bacteria
    b) Mosquito Bite
    c) Septic Infection
    d) Virus

2. How does one get TB?
    a) Through contaminated blood
    b) Through contaminated food
    c) Through air
    d) All the above

3. What are the symptoms of TB?
    a) Loss of appetite
    b) Weight loss
    c) Night Sweats
    d) All the Above
    e) None of the above

4. Which country in the world has the largest number of deaths due to TB?
    a) Africa
    b) India
    c) The USA
    d) Europe

5. Which of these bacteria is responsible for causing TB?
    a) Paremaecium
    b) Amoeba
    c) E.coli
    d) Mycobacterium tuberculosis

6. What is a popular way of treating TB?
    a) Antibiotics
    b) Surgery
    c) Chemotherapy
    d) Antiviral drugs
    e) All the above

7. TB is not curable
    a) True
    b) False

8. People with a weak immune system are more prone to develop tuberculosis
    a) True
    b) False

9. What makes TB one of the serious health problem?
    a) The rise in number of people with HIV infection
    b) An increasing number of immigrants from areas of the world where TB is prevalent
    c) An increasing number of homeless people
    d) More people failing to finish their TB treatment
    e) All of the above

10. What is the name of the vaccine to prevent tuberculosis?
    a) Bacillus Calmette-Guerin Vaccine
    b) Pneumococcal Vaccine
    c) DTaP
    d) HPV4

Answers:

1. C. The main cause for tuberculosis is Mycobacterium tuberculosis, a small, aerobic bacillus. It affects the lungs, lymphatic , central nervous system and circulatory system among others. It can affect almost any tissue or organ of the body. When a person is infected with tuberculosis, the bacteria in the lungs multiply causing pneumonia. It causes chest pain, cough up blood and sustained cough.

2. C. The bacteria is spread in the air when an infected person coughs, shouts, sneezes or spits. A person who inhales such infected air gets affected with the tuberculosis bacteria. TB is not spread through contaminated food or transmission of blood.

3. D. The symptoms of TB depends on the part of the body that is infected.
    a. Pulmonary TB causes pain in the chest, coughing up of blood and persisting cough.
    b. Lymphatic TB causes pain in the neck and groin area.
    c. Bone or joint TB can make the bones brittle and vulnerable for fracture, loss of movement in the bone or joint and weakness of bones.
    d. Abdominal TB can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, bleeding from anus or rectum.

4. A. Africa accounts for more than 29% of the global deaths occurring due to tuberculosis. More than half a million people die every year of tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is becoming a major medical problem with India. Around 330,000 people die each year due to TB.

5. D. Mycobacterium tuberculosis causes TB.

6. A. Treatment usually combines several antibiotics, given for six to 12 months. It is important that patients take their medication on time every day. When patients stop taking their medication before the end of treatment, they risk having TB return. TB that returns may be resistant to drugs used to treat it, making it much more difficult to cure. If you have a positive skin test for TB, but no other signs of the disease, your doctor may ask you to take one antibiotic, usually rifampin, for nine months to kill any TB bacteria in your body and prevent development of active TB in the future.

7. B. If a full course of anti-tubercular drugs is taken on a regular basis, this disease is fully curable. A TB patient has to take medicines for a minimum period of six months continuously. The drugs may continue up to one year in some cases. It is important that the drugs are discontinued only on the advice of the doctor. Patients who do not take a complete treatment or take drugs on an irregular basis, their disease turns incurable or even life threatening.

8. A. If the body's resistance is low due to infections, aging, malnutrition and other diease, the bacteria can break out of the tubercles and cause active tuberculosis

9. A. The number of TB cases began dropping in the 1940s and 1950s, when antibiotics were first used to treat the disease. But after 1985, the number of TB cases started to rise again. One factor was the AIDS epidemic. People with HIV infection are at high risk for developing active TB. People who must live in crowded homeless shelters are at higher risk for developing active TB. People who don't finish their TB treatment are at risk for developing drug-resistant TB.

10. A. Bacillus Calmette-Guerin Vaccine. BCG vaccine provides immunity or protection against tuberculosis (TB). The vaccine may be given to persons at high risk of developing TB. In countries like India, where there are high rates of TB, BCG is given to infants as it prevents children from developing TB. Unfortunately, the positive effect of BCG in protecting infants and young children from endemic areas from the lethal forms of TB does not extend to the adult years. people develop active tuberculosis even though they received BCG, even in multiple doses, in earlier years. Since BCG has been used so widely and for such a long time, if it were effective it is unlikely that one third of the world's population would now have TB infection and that two million people a year worldwide would die of TB.

Resources:
    Facts about Bacille Calmette Guerin (BCG) Vaccine
    Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) Vaccine: MedlinePlus Drug Information

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
    2 people like this.

2. aarkaay

aarkaay New IL'ite

Sorry I CANT DO ANYTHING

3. shagydeep

shagydeep Bronze IL'ite

Hello,
    That was good info but i really don't know about TB... :(

4. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Thanks shaggydeep!

India is one of the most severely infected countries with TB. Nevertheless, most people are totally unaware of this deadly disease. It pays to be aware of this serious diseases and prevent it at all times!

5. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Nice info to share...I would suggest to get checked on routine base...always early intervention is good.

1 person likes this.
  6. wronlaster

wronlaster New IL'ite

I am looking for answer , i think there is solution about all daises in natural products .

7. shagydeep

shagydeep Bronze IL'ite

Hello,
    That is awesome information you have given on tuberculosis. I happy to read this...

8. TerrieDaw

TerrieDaw Senior IL'ite

I am fully aware and know much about Tuberculosis. My friend suffered a lot with TB. She had 3 years bad experience with that but now she is absolutely fine.

9. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Hi coolblues,
    Thankyou so much for such useful info.My sister is diagnosed with intestinal tb and typhoid.dual infections together.she suffered a lot.still she is in hospital now.Any info will really useful.it was very tough to diagnose for doctors.Finally colonoscopy and biopsy helped.Any guidance from you , i will be really grateful.
    Thank you,
    Cliona

10. luckyme

luckyme Silver IL'ite

I have met so many people who suffered from TB (spl the TB of lympnodes) that I am left worried about its alarming spread

When I was in college, a sister of my friend(pursuing her Mbbs) developed tb..the infection was real bad and she had numerous surgeries over a couple of yrs...she used to get these knots in her necks and they had to be surgically removed each time

When I joined work my flatmate was suffering from the same TB of lymphnodes...this gal had to take a daily intramuscular injection on hips...and she used to cry most nights out of pain as she had so many scars on her body due to the injections

My husband's friend was diagnosed from the same TB a few yrs back and had a very tough time managing work. He claims he's out of it now.

A neighbour of ours whose husband is big shot in an IT firm also told me that the husband developed the same TB and was very ill. He had to be away from work for almost 6 months. She said he's alrite now

The recent case was a very young HR professional that I met in my yoga class and she mentioned that the doc is suspecting she has TB of lymphnodes...I was surprised to hear about this case since all the other ones I heard were the same TB

I have come in contact with each of these ppl at some time. Now I am suffering from infertility and my doc asked me to get a TB test done (tb of endometrium). I happened to read about it and learnt that it spreads through air. I got a scare when I went in for the test. Thankfully the result came in as negative. I have taken TB test a couple of times when I travelled aborad(must for UK visa) and so far I am away from it.

I really have this question about how likely it is to spread to people who are constantly in contact with TB affected ppl?

What can be done to develop immunity to it(sply for ppl who have a weak immune system like me). Even if accidentally I feel any pain in my neck, it gets me worried.