1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How much are you spending on them this DIWALI!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Nov 1, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sunkan,

That was a nice post... A very good gesture which is appreciated. When I went to this ashram to ask about their requirements. The lady in charge led me to a room full of clothes. She sternly told me, "Please do not dump your clothes here in the name of donation. Every one is doing it in the bask of Diwali Cleaning". I told her I have not come to donate clothes, though i had that too in mind, I am here for another purpose. They were happy... So was I.

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mals,

good deeds should not be limited to occassions and should not go unpunished :). I am listing what we do : Here we go on a regular scheduled drives of entertaining the old in the retirement homes( year round), feeding the poor in homeless shelters (year round) and donating unopened giftwrapped items to churches during holiday season. And we also take our kids along so that the spirit of giving might be passed on to them.

It is commendable that you are trying to make a difference in the lesser fortunate lives
    attaching a few pics from our september food drive (as usual i am not in them, infact I just donated the food not the labor of distributing it =))

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

Dear friends,
    it is great to hear about such charitable souls on IL. In our family too we give in charity both money and time. This year my father-in-law has inspired us to use our status (as citizens of this world) to also give the charity of taking a stand for issues that our important to us. Basically we are encouraged to write in support or give an opinion on issues that are dear to us rather than just keeping "mum" and saying to ourselves "that is really sad".....
    The Tehelka videos have really grazed me. I am really amazed by the journalism that exposed this and plan to write to them about it.
    ~ N

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Blondie,

I am quite impressed about your work and your approach of doing it year around. It requires lots of mental efforts to donate time for such purpose. The pictures would be a definite lead post for others who step in here.

My idea of mentioning about Diwali is coz during this festival, Hindus tend to blow a lot of money compared to other festivals. From laborers to millionaire's everyone spends in the same fashion. After those gala FOUR DAYS... the laborers and middle class are back to the square, counting coins till the next salary. Thats the reason, I have put up this post, keep a margin for the poor and needy. You cannot bring any difference in their world in total, but can bring a large difference in their hearts on the festive day...

Thanks blondie for your real valuable post.

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Nazneen for peeping in.