1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How much appr. are you spending monthly?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by uma321, Feb 17, 2009.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    We're two adults. I feel like we're spending too much. We spend around $1000 on other stuffs except house rent, electricity bill and utility bill. I'm not a person who's spending on unnecessary things. But I don't know how it goes. Or is it normal spending $1000 for groceries and other stuff's? If not, can you please suggest me ways to reduce it?

Thanks,
    Uma

2. alaivani

alaivani Senior IL'ite

Uma, Has anyone helped you with this? If not I am happy to discuss with you. I have background in social work and helped others do this. I also financial plan in our own home. Kudos to you for taking initiative for financial planning!!! Money is prosperity and good you don't want to squander or misplace prosperity!! If you'd like to talk, we can discuss more!! "Happy to help!" Jennifer

3. Templebay

Templebay New IL'ite

Hi

I guess $1000 is deftly a fine amount for 2 adult and it also depends on which state you live, as tax differs state to state...

4. surya123

surya123 Senior IL'ite

ya i am also worried about it..... i too feel like i dont spend much on unnecessarythings but it too costs thousand for our other expenses.......

5. surya123

surya123 Senior IL'ite

do u buy more clothes..... or dine out more????? it depends on many things........ if u could explain on what u spend,then we can suggest u how t decrese ur expenses....

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Apart from the rent and utilities , I spend about 400 . that includes grocery+gas+shopping+ eating out.I many have stretched it to 400 but we are careful to not go overboard.

7. aparna_cse

aparna_cse New IL'ite

Hi,
    Now a days even i am looking at various options to cut down the monthly expenditure. We are a family of two and I am presently checking across last two months expenditure and trying to analyse as to where I can cut down some expenses. You can also try out the same. Expenses largely depend on the state u r in. There is as much as 500-800 difference if I look at expenses in costly states like CA or VA rather than places like Texas.

8. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

I have two little kids a toddler and an infant, I roughly spend about a 1000 on groceries, milk, diapers and what not.... 1000 for two people sounds like a lot, but then again it does depend on how expensive your state is....

9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Hii
    We are two adults plus an infant. Our expenses excluding rent, gas n elec, fuel and gifts stays within $300. This includes eating out and cosmetic/dress purchase etc.
    Personally I feel $1000 is on a higher side. Then it depends upon the place you live too and also if you have a big social circle with frequent get-together's.
    I maintain my home account. I chart all the expenses in an excel sheet. It helps me to track unwanted purchases. Plus, I plan my one week's menu ahead. This too helps a lot in purchasing right vegies. But I do make some purchases on my whims and fancies. Afterall we need some indulgence too:). I cannot resist a java- chip Frappachino whenever I see a starbucks (and my eyes find it whenever we go out), though it cost $4 plusbonk.
    - Nitha

sindmani likes this.
  10. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Nitha....how ...how...how...u can keep up with 300$...we r 3...including a preschooler....for me even costco bill runs into 100$...then veggies ,milk ,indian grocries,fruits.....even without thinking abt gifts,clothes and eating out I easily hit upon atleast 500....pls pls let us know..how do u spend and what do you spend and what not u spend.....i do maintain a excel sheet...but just cant cut out on anything....