How many times do they scan normally - in India

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by lakshmi.mani, Dec 26, 2008.

1. lakshmi.mani

lakshmi.mani Junior IL'ite

I am in my 8th month. My last scan was taken in 5th month and I was told that the baby growth is normal. My doctor didnot advise a scan after that.
    After my 7th month checkup in Blore I have come to Chennai to my mom's place for delivery. Even here the doctor has not advised scan for me . She said she will be going for scan only in Jan end while my EDD is feb 12. Is this OK?

My sis who is in US keeps asking me about the baby's weight while I have no information about that. Is this normal procedure in India?

2. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

dont worry lakshmi. for a normal pregnancy the num of scans is just 2 like urs. towards the EDD, more scans might be required iff in case of any complexities or just to make sure. otherwise this is just fine. my 1st pregnancy, i had only 2 in India. but since i conceived while in the US, there was a scan done right in the beginning to make sure baby's heart beat was fine.. this was just not required.

baby's expected weight should be somewhere there in ur 1st scan report. ask ur doc abt it. Also i hope you had the test for down syndrome in ur 1st scan. if thats the case, no worries.

Good luck, take care.. not just this, everywhere else, just trust ur doctor & elders at home.. and proceed. cheers..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I guess if everything is normal the doctors limit the scans to 2.

Here in U.S too they limit the number of scans.Since you have reached the 8th month,the doctors measure the uterus using an inch tape(external) from 20th week.As long as there is an increase in your weight and the increase in measurement ,the baby is growing normally.Probably that's what your sister is referring about.

So no worries and get plenty of rest.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008