1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many parents are considering homeschool option ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by twinmommy, Aug 27, 2013.

1. twinmommy

twinmommy Junior IL'ite

Dear Parents,

Considering what's happening all over the world, whether the Connecticut school tragedy or physical abuse issues in India, do you feel that homeschooling is a better option for kids? What else can be the solution? I have two sons but I am scared to even send them to playschool anywhere.

Please pour in your thoughts. Can we really trust the schools?

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

twinmommy, Home schooling is an excellent option. However, this has to be done keeping in mind a LOT of things. Remember that a child needs the society as a whole and you cannot expect them to be at home all day everyday with little to no social interaction all their lives.
    Home schooling requires so much more than what we expect. If you are considering it, I can give you some pointers which come to my mind.

But to your point, I dont want my child to be home schooled. I want her to go to school and will do everything in my capacity to research properly about bullying statistics etc before enrolling her. I am considering enrolling her in any martial arts too, given some time. She should be able to cope in at least a few situations.
    Apart from that, I am also planning on researching properly who would be her before/after-care after school (now she is in daycare) and in general....I hope you got my point.

2 people like this.
  3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    if being scared of what is happening in & around is the only reason for home schooling then you seriously need to change your thought processses.learn to trust God.many of us do puja daily but when it comes to trusting higher authority we are lacking in that.

there are dangers everywhere & you seriously can't protect yourself or your child.in the home kids can choke on food that does not mean we give then liquid diet all life.........giving freedom to kids is the best gift we can give them & a mother who is paranoidal about kids safety is really not doing any good.

1 person likes this.
  4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Every parent will fear for the safety of their kid at all stages of their life. But having born in the world, is there a way to hide them from it? How long will you do it?

I would suggest you to read about free range parenting. I hope you like the author's pov.

5. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Great thread. But hardly any replies since 2013.

I always wondered homeschooling. When it was not the norm in 80s, 90s, I remember we were still getting a lot of great education out of regular schools. Me, sis and few other friends of us were always learning the basics ( maths, science, arts, sports, music) from the teachers through private tuitions. When my mom thought she could take up some of it on her own, she did teach us logical thinking, algebra ( real life maths that we so use frequently managing finances), sewing, cooking, beauty, self-care. I know many moms of my friends were doing similar stuff. I guess, they never relied solely on the typical education system back then. We were learning more out of school than inside the school. We kids were always learning things which were not included in the rigid school syllabus. And whatever we would learn, we would apply that with the help of parents/ guardians. I loved those decades.

No wonders millennials tried and also succeeded in so many different and newer ventures. Now, homeschooling is a widely used term. With the frequent pressures of bullies, rigid school syllabus and a heavy focus on technology, parents are rethinking the effectiveness of regular school system. It is high time we look at it seriously.

Umanga likes this.