1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

how many of you developed allegies after coming to US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by skalluri, Apr 13, 2011.

1. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I never had any allergies in my childhood, after living in US for some years, slowly I became allergic to gluten(a kind of protien in wheat, barley, oats) and recently even became allergic to potato. So I avoid them. how many of you developed food allgies after living here in this country. I think it is due to environment and our body immunity. I dont have spring/autumn allergies luckily. One of my friend got spring allergies and asthma after living in cold regions of western countries.

what are your experiences on this and how do you take care of yourself if at all you are suffering.

Sujatha.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes this is really new to me too.
    One of my friend has developed Pollen and spring allergy.

I just pray my family and people known to me should never get any food allergies.
    Is there any specific reason for this ? Can we avoid it somehow ?

3. SproutsOfSpring

SproutsOfSpring New IL'ite

Good topic :thumbsup

I have a family history of allergies, asthma and eczema. I showed only some symptoms of asthma growing up (unlike my siblings, who were diagnosed with asthma), but after I moved here I got full-blown allergies (including food allergies!!) and am really surprised that I developed some eczema too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  4. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

may be visiting india once in a while will develop immune system ;)
    no offense, just kidding. :spin

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Sujatha,

Allergies are mostly caused by a weak immune system. Lack of certain foods and stress tend to weaken the immune system.

My doctor once suggested to follow indian diet strictly when I asked him if I need to take something like echinacea(immune booster available otc), vitamin c or multivitamins to improve immunity.

A typical indian meal contains all that we need to boost our immune system -Onions, Tomatoes, Cumin, Mustard, Turmeric, Ginger, Garlic, Cilantro, Curry Leaves, Spices, Lentils(protein), Vegetables, Buttermilk/curd and Milk(google for the medicinal value of all these foods and you will be amazed!). Consume atleast 2 to 2.5 litres of water everyday and add some nuts/dates and exercise(nothing hard, just walking will do) to this. Eating healthy and spending time for exercise will also lower the stress level and inturn improve immunity. Feel better soon :thumbsup

6. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

A very valid point Archana :thumbsup
    My friend recently sent her 2 year old to India to stay with his grandparents for 6 months as he had terrible allergies here and to her surprise, he did not suffer from any of the allergies or cold even once while he was there, he was pretty healthy and happy, which made us think, is it the life style here or is it something emotional too?
    I also think maybe we are over doing with the hygiene here, nothing wrong in washing hands, but every time we skip the simple soap and go for the alcohol sanitizer, we also kill the good bacteria on the skin. Also, the level of stress and loneliness here might also contribute to a poor immune system. The kid had so many friends over there in India(everyone used to come out and play in the streets) and he was healthy and happy though he was away from his family, but here he mostly sees his family and hardly has any friends to play with :hide:

7. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

whatever you said is 100% true about the intake of good diet and excersice to boost up the immunity, but once the allergy is developed it is better avoid those food instead of aggreavating it and taking anti-histamine. thats what I am doing.

8. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I wish I could alteast once in a year and staying atleast 2 months, I think that helps :)