1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many of us actually LOVE our in-laws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by OCdesigirl, Jul 25, 2012.

1. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I have been married 2.5 years, and have not once had any issues with my in-laws. I speak with them daily, and when they come to US we have a wonderful time. My friends think I am strange for maintaining a good relationship with them. I see plenty of threads here with horror stories, but let's share our good stories so that our fellow ILites wont feel scared to get married lol. :rotfl

29 people like this.

2. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

I am married for 7 years. My FIL passed away 2 years back. He was gem of a person and always treated me like his own daughter. There are so many incidents to mention

I was in India at my husband's place for a month after marriage. One day he came to kitchen and was forcing me to set the table for lunch and to eat. After setting everything he made me go to the kitchen again to bring something. When I came back...tadaaa....there was Briyani in my plate. He bought it when he went out and wanted to surprise me with it...There are more and more like this...I miss him so much...me in tears...Love you Acha....mmmmuuuuuaaaaahhhh

37 people like this.
  3. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

i have a great respect for my inlwas but i don't love them............

12 people like this.
  4. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Married for close to 7 years. I love my In laws. They treat me like their daughter. If I do something wrong they keep it with them only and If I do something Nice they will tell to whole world. :)

25 people like this.
  5. makeuplover

makeuplover Silver IL'ite

My in-laws are also good. When my husband was away for 3 months outside the country they came to give me company. I literally didn't have any work at home since my mil used to tell me to leave them for her since she didn't have anything to do after i leave for office. Also, daily when I reach home back from work the dinner was ready. But i also have seen many of my friends and colleagues suffering with their in-laws

16 people like this.
  6. funtuuush

funtuuush Senior IL'ite

lol ... to the point statement. :)

7 people like this.
  7. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

It is wonderful to see that there are others out there that have good situations at home :)

8. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

we get lots of responses if the title of the thread happens to be "how many of us actually hate our inlaws"???????:hide::iagree:goodidea:..................

23 people like this.
  9. dakshayaeni

dakshayaeni Silver IL'ite

The thread is lovely...

If you respect and love you get the same. Adjustment to gel with a different culture is mistaken as compromise. Whatever I used to do before marriage in my parent's place will not hold good in a totally different culture. I come to my parent's place from my in law's and start gossiping about their eating habits, bathing style, clothing sense, and practically everything and when I go back to my in law's place I expect dinner to be ready and all is sweet..great expectations!

It is true if not love, then do not hate, if not respect then do not disrespect either...
    Taking a few steps back will not hurt our future but our ego.

In India, when there are cases of dowry deaths and so many torture stories of in laws, we often get influenced by these stories unconsciously and try to live on our own terms at a new place. The change in habit is often too swift for us and for that new family as well.

True, all situations are not alike, but I vote for this thread only because I really want all my friends to look at the other side of the picture as well and do not think marriage as a horrible experience.

When I was married, my in laws sold and gave away every single bit of furniture, sold the house and when I got back from work in the evening the door was locked. Life moved on. I had my daughter and after almost 3 years visited them in Delhi where they are putting up with my brother in law knowing fully well that door will be shut on our face. Ours is a cross cultural marriage you see..:)

My mother in law us, went inside and then after a while called us inside. My sil, quockly locked her own room as if we are there to steal her stuffs..ha ha ha

After sometime, my MIL took off all ornaments whatever she was wearing and gave them to my 6 months daughter, saying, I am bad for her family but not my daughter ha ha ha..am still laughing.

Then my FIL came, almost snatched my daughter and went inside the room. We were asked to stay over for a few days, which we did, our stay was very unpleasant for some reasons, but my daughter was treated like a some queen...eh!

And after 11 years of marriage now, I do not have a loving relation with my in laws but a cordial one. My eldest SIL who stays in jaipur gave one diamond ring and made me hear in front of the whole family that 'listen, this is for your daughter, don't you dare to wear this'..her tone was nasty enough to hurt my ego but honestly I smiled and said Ok then if I need to wear anything I will take hers..:)

7 people like this.
  10. Maggie2009

Maggie2009 Gold IL'ite

Disagree. Not applicable to everyone

26 people like this.