1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many hours of TV??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by ramyanand, Dec 18, 2007.

1. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi all moms of preschoolers!!
    How many hours of tv watching is allowable to u'r kid..In my case i allow my kid daily 1 1/2 hrs or sometimes 2 hrs to watch his fave shows....Is it too much??
    Another ques..what type of kids's show does u'r preschooler watch..

Do share u'r opinions
    Cheers
    Ramya

2. malarvp

malarvp New IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

Doctors advise only 2hrs of TV/day. This 2hrs is not compulsory. If the kid is not interested we can leave them. My daughter is 3yrs old and she loves to watch Teletubbies, Cailou, Barney, etc. It depends on kids interest.

Cheers,
    Malar

3. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

hi malar
    thanx for u'r inputs..

cheers
    Ramya

4. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ramyanand,

My son is 4 yrs old, going to preschool 3 half-a-days a week. On those days he'll be on TV for couple of hrs. But on two days when he stays at home, he keep watching TV. I'm so worried on that,but its hard to keep them busy at home all day in winter.IS kids should watch TV only for 2 hrs?

He likes to watch Word world, Mickey mouse, super boy, Clifford and almost all the cartoons.:eek:mg:.

Rgds,
    Pinky.

5. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi pinky
    Even my ped stressed that the preschoolers shud be allowed a max of 2 hrs Tv time..My kid is also 4 and he goes to school all 5 half days..When hes back form school he watches his fave shsows for 1 hr and has his nap..Then in the eve does his homework(if any) and again demands to watch tv:-(...im having a tuf time engaging him especially duringthe winter..

Cheers
    Ramya

6. malarvp

malarvp New IL'ite

Hi Pinky,

We think we are not able to keep them engaged inside the house. Probably because we are not playing with them. Doctors say 2hrs of TV because leaving children on TV for long hours may not give them any good and moreover studies say that kids don't tend to have 2 way communication. they become shy and generally don't respond when we ask something, etc. and due to all these stuides on kids watching TV only doctors advise 2hrs of TV. Even if your kid wants to watch for more time tell him that he can't watch more than 1hr and if he does his eyes would get hurt, etc in a way he understands. keep telling him daily and gradually he might stop. also you engage him with reading books, playing with his toys along him, teaching him, etc. I know it's easy to say, but thats what doctors suggest.

Cheers,
    Malar

7. manjur

manjur Senior IL'ite

hi ramya ,

my 4 yr daughter also watches tv a lot. she goes to school 3 days .i read stories , plays but for 1or 2 hrs. then she again goes to TV. if anyone keep kids engaged during winter other ways pls share .

bye
    manju

8. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Ladies,

I m also in the same boat like most of u.My son is exactly 4 and a 1/2 yrs old.He watches TV for more than 2hrs a day.Rest of the day i m trying hard to keep him busy inside the house by doing some artwork,activities and playing with him. He doesnot take a nap in the afternoon and so it becomes even more difficult for me to keep him occupied with something that is to his interest.

Only in my recent Dr. visit i came to know abt the tv time limit for kids of this age and so now i m little successful in restricting his TV time.The alternate is he gets to play online games for sometime and i fix his time b4 turning on the TV/computer saying that he shud turn it off when the longhand on the clock comes over a particular number and its works for me sometimes though not always.I know ladies computer is not a better substitute as it also involves eyes but i m out of choices.How long we can expect them to play with the same old toys ?(unless v r ready to get one toy new everyday).

I m eagerly waiting for some new ideas to show up reg. this situation.

9. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

My son when he goes to school, he'll also watches TV only in the evening after his Nap. That time not much cartoons only till 6 PM, Thank god!!!...Anyway thanks for ur information.

Hi Malar, Thanks a lot for ur great information, You pointed out a good inf. abt the kids nature - Communication if they watch TV.One nice thing abt my son is whenever I say you have to switch off the TV, once this cartoon is over, he'll do that. Sometimes if he refuses, I'll ask him to see his eyes in the mirror, how red it is? ..So he'll open his eyes wide open, and says ' Yes mommy'...and switch off the TV in another second...that idea really works for me....Good thing is I hav something to make him away from the TV.:cool2:

I'm planning to put him in Swimming and basket ball classes, to keep engaged. You guys can also try this for your kids in ur local YMCA or any other private centers,just for an idea....

Pls. do give ur inputs on how to engage the kids....Lets share it friends:welcome....

10. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi pinky
    i play chutes and ladders with my kid..I take coloring page printouts and ask him to color..If the weather is gud i take him outside..
    We board a local train,reach the last station and come back..Cuz kids are always thrilled to go in trains...
    I do these activities to keep him engaged..But these do not work all the time...KWIM
    Cuz somedays he'll deny all these and demands to watch TV

Cheers
    Ramya