1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many are wearing Thali/Mangalsutra ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mlk2009, Jun 7, 2009.

1. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

2. APassionateOne

APassionateOne New IL'ite

Hmm..an over discussed..very old topic! And it is so personal, that you just cannot say one way is right and the other is wrong!

My husband has no say in this issue except saying, "what ever I am comfortable with”. My usual stuff includes my diamond ring that my hubby gave me on our wedding anniversary when I was pregnant with our first one and another ring that my parents gave when I was leaving to US as a student. And yes..my absolutely required some kind of earrings.

Other than that, all the necklaces, mettis, bangles etc change with the situation and attire. I wear thali, glass bangles, mettis when I visit temples or do special vrathams or visit my In-laws (So as not to hurt their sentiments etc in any way). My mom is very traditional, but I guess she doesn’t push us to wear all the traditional stuff especially when no one’s there to see them. I wear fancy necklaces and bangles for parties (With Chudidhars/Sarees or simple necklaces with western dresses).

I wear the full set (Thali/Glass bangles/Mettis/Anklets/Finger rings/Bottu and a kumkum under it/Tumeric to the feet etc along with those Chidhidhars with Chunnis) in India for all the weeks I am at my in-laws. Unfortunately I have to admit that it is not a very comfortable thing in all that heat/ work etc. I mean I don’t have too much to do there. But just managing the kid with all the stuff…wears me out like anything. I applaud all the ladies who wear this stuff all the time and still do all the work not just for their own husband and kids, but for all the other people around. May be..it is not just my thing!

1 person likes this.
  3. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

yea , With due respect to indian culture and my wedding I do wear toe-rings always. Also as per north indian culture I do apply vermilion on my forehead daily.

I removed Mangalsutra after coming to US. It looks heavy & odd with the western outfit. I put on Bangles, Bindi and Mangalsutra only with ethnic wear!

I also removed my engagement ring which was a huge chunk of Gold. It looks odd again instead I slipped on a simple finger ring.

4. Srilakshmiy

Srilakshmiy New IL'ite

Nice Thread......I used to wear my thali until I started working , I felt lill uncomfortable at work wearning that thick gold chain so I removed it, My hubby was ok with watever I was comfortable with. I still wear metti and bindi everyday.

5. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

Super thread! lively debate .. between the lot, all my views have been expressed. DH, inlaws and i believe the true symbols of marriage are sincere love and long lasting compatibility, everything else being superficial.

SO, i am the boss of what i wear - convenient, discreet and elegant at all times- to work and out. only exception: love chunky chain link payal of 20 tolas for sp occasions. believe rings (toes/finger) are the most beautiful ornaments a woman can wear. change but always on since marriage. chain and mangalasutra: traditionally telugu thalis are heavy, mismatched and worn with a yellow thread on a fat gold chain always hidden from view. parents agreed to my small matched pair (total wt: 1 sovereign incl the beads) on a slim chain with a bit of yellow thread. sometimes switch to ultrathin short chain with tiny black beads. always wore a small bindi and a tiny diamond on my nose. earstuds, bangles -totally optional.

6. priavindh

priavindh Senior IL'ite

yes,I do wear thali and toe rings..! I have'nt removed till date..I apply kumkum on my forehead after my prayers!
    After coming here..I saw people removing their toe rings! cos it's hinders their shoes!:hiya But I dont have a problem..! Iwear it what ever attire i go with let it be jean n shirt or short tops!:thumbsup
    My hubby has no problem in removing thali and toe rings.:biglaugh.but I just wear it..cos there shud be some difference after ur wedding right!?:)

7. jaishamagna

jaishamagna New IL'ite

hi,
    good topic for variety of opinions. I always wore 2 types of thali,that is, one gold typical tamil brahmin kind and the other one in black beads ,short one with a tiny thali symbol. But with pants, or for that matter, even a salwar kameez with a beautiful neckline, I preferred a short ,thin gold chain with cute diamond lockets.
    However, my hubby has never interfered in this. But to my surprise,my 15yr old son insists I should always bindi(small or big) on jeans and salwar/saris.
    These days ,I feel men stay away from such petty women issues. My younger sister was the one who kept telling me to wear only locket chains on dresses too,and not mangalsutra always.

jai

8. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi

When I got married I was very senti about the thali. My husband like CHeenikum did not want me to wear always but I was afraid that it has to do with his well being. Slowly I think 2 weeks later he coaxed me to take it off and he explained that is well being is not dependent on the sacred thread and as long as I have him in my heart there is nothing else that is needed.

I wear the thali when ever I feel like, and metti I love them but I kept losing them as I could not sleep with something clinging my toe...so hubby bought me some 4 pairs and eventually I lost all of them. So I dare not say metti but this discussion has made me want to wear them again.

The trend in Chennai is girls or even ladies wear their hair well oiled tightly plaited, big traditional earings, big pottu with kumgumam, flowers that are red or orange and kolusu but they are attired in tight jeans and short tops. These things look beutiful when they are matched with sarees or salwars but definitely not with western wear. I feel there is a statement about identity that they are trying to make to feel noticed. :hide:
    Deepa

9. geeti

geeti Senior IL'ite

hey all,

I do not wear anything except my earrings and wedding ring. My hubby does not like me wearing vermilion (sindoor), so I only wear it when I am at my in laws place. In our marriages mangalsutra ain't a very important part , so its totally our choice if we wish to wear it or not.

I personally do not believe in any of these things so it does not bother me. Just my view!!

Ciao
    geetika

10. Ajith

Ajith Silver IL'ite

Well, my wife was brought up in a city and studied in a convent, yet she is too senti when it comes to thaali. She always wears thaali and metti irrespective of her attire. Needless to say my mom is happy and brags about this to others. But the senti on thaali doesn't translate to affection/respect on her husband ;-)