1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many are wearing Thali/Mangalsutra ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mlk2009, Jun 7, 2009.

1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Sometimes I wear, sometimes I don't. My mangalsutra is short black beads chain with a small diamond pendant, so it matches with both western and indian dress. I really love it!

Dh doesn't care though whether I wear it or not. In fact if he thinks it does not match my outfit, he will tell me so himself! :crazy

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. VLR

VLR Silver IL'ite

My case is similar to Sunitha. I too wear my (iyengar) thaali all times and toe ring & bindhi always..though the thaali stay inside the dress(Indian/ western) all times. I wear them to my office as well.
    I am not comfortable removing them..

1 person likes this.
  3. ajithadhinakar

ajithadhinakar New IL'ite

As far as you and DH are in agreement I think it doesnt matter. Only when one person is too sentimental it'll be difficult for the other.

I dont remove mangalsutra or the metti whatever dress I wear. To me they stand as proud symbols that tell I'm a married woman :).

Either I dont see lot of westeners removing their wedding ring just because it doesnt suit their dress sometimes do they :wink:?

So I think its more of a personal choice based on one's sentiments and comfortable levels and definitely not by a peer pressure.

Regards,
    Ajitha

4. arabhi

arabhi New IL'ite

hi
    i also feel this is a matter of individual choice.like someone mentioned earlier whether you wear it or not u are basically the same.i always wear my mangalsutra,bindi and sindoor.if in western part of the world the size of bindi and sindoor reduces but is still applied.somehow i am not comfortable without them.:)

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    I do wear my Thali:) My DH had asked me the kind of chain and pendant I like for thali and he bought one accordingly.So the thali is not too heavy nor lengthy,that i can wear it to work and also with any kind of dress:)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  6. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Yes, it only depends on feelings of wife and husband.There is nothing one should decide wether you should put on or not, it's completely your opinion.
    Even though, where are our Indian traditions going on.I dont think just for sake of jeans we need to take off our valuable mangalsutra and metti.I dont take them off..even while sleeping or bathing.I did not feel inconvinient with jeans. and never gave chance to my husband to think of taking it or not...
    identification for a married man is now where in our culture, which I think will not be in future also.

so many wonderful and sweet replies...so that the question is answered by this time

regards
    amul

7. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

A very interesting thread. I wear my thali always. Metti only when I go to India. Bindi - I put on sometimes; like festival days, while doing pooja, when I wear Indian dress, when in-laws are here or when we are taking photos! Initially, I used to put on the bindi all the time (like we do in India), but my husband persuaded me to stop putting it on when we go out, as it used to attract stares! And yes, as he says, it doesnt gel very well with western dresses either. I was very particular about putting on the bindi & stuff like that, but now, dont bother about it, unless any of the circumstances I cited before, occurs.

Personally, I feel one must wear the thali at all times, may be we can give up the bindi or the metti or other accessories, esp when we go to work or attend school, when such things start attracting more attention than required.

Sandhya

PS: You could add a poll to this thread.

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I feel the bindi attracts attention only when it is big and sometimes colourful with designs and glitter.I used to wear big bindis in India since it suited my face but after coming here ,I changed to really small bindis.Initially ,with big bindis,the kids in my son's school used to stare and one girl even asked me what was that on my forehead. Just to avoid this,I changed to small bindis and after this change,have not noticed any stares or questions.:thumbsup

9. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

nice to read all the opinions of members on this topic

as far as i go.... i don't wear the thali regularly...mine is an iyengar one too.... but i never wore it much in india as well :) ....
    and my DH himself does not like me wearing itespecially here in US)....and in India he is ok if i wear it or not
    and bindi/sindhoor/metti were off me from day one after marriage :)

i think its personal choice,opinion which matters in this regard.....

10. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I too wear thali,bindi,kolusu,metti all times.The only thing was Initially i was wearing a yellow thread and a thicker chain with me,but i switched to lighter chain becoz i was finding it difficult to maintain the yellow thread by applying turmeric daily which makes the bathtub yellow and my husband use to shout at me for that.So i switched to lighter thali chain.But I wear all times.