1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Long Can One Keep Going Without Appreciation From Partner

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Benadryl, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Benadryl

Benadryl Silver IL'ite

I know what I do is not extra ordinary and that every partner is equal in the relationship. But I cannot get myself to stop wanting appreciation for things at least occasionally. I want to feel cared. I want my partner to ask me if I have taken my medicines. I want to be asked if my hurting bones dont hurt anymore, but alas! Goes without saying - I do all of this and more.

I have spoken to my partner and expressed the desire for this need(s) to be met and I was told it isn't the partners nature to appreciate or to constantly care (even though I only want to be asked - even occasionally). I have respectfully asked the partner to at least slightly adjust the nature. Or at least make an effort. I get very tired doing my mentally straining work- still go home and equally contribute in all chores including cooking food, doing dishes and taking care of the kids. Its not a great achievement but things that have to be done. However, I do not see even a hint of thankfulness from my partner. It is getting to a point where I cannot change my nature of seeking appreciation (how many ever times I tell myself it is childish to be thanked and appreciated) and the partner cannot change their nature of not appreciating. This is from the 5 years of marriage. Emotionally, my partner is not able to satisfy me- how much ever childish my requirements may be. I can only guess I am not able to satisfy the partners emotional side. All in all, we aren't satisfying each other emotionally. And my post isn't just because of a one or hundredth off occurrence. It is getting to the point where I can kind of sense why people have extra marital affairs and answers my bewilderment when I used to hear how people married for years, separate. Sometimes I truly repent having kids as they keep me chained. And my partners behaviour towards me, and that I had kids with such a person makes me think my children will get at least some part of this coldness ingrained in them. I will be utterly devastated if the kids grow up and have an attitude like my partners. Sigh.

I would hate for my children to grow up with one parent or to not know what a loving marriage can be. My parents have a loving marriage and I automatically assumed mine will be equally loving.

Is going our own ways the only choice ? Has someone else faced this situation before ?
    If it matters I am the husband and the partner is the missus.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    zeppelingirl and GeetaKashyap like this.

2. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Hi
    I usually reply only.when I feel I can relate to the issue. I do have a feeling that your issue is much bigger than just hoping a thanks from your wife occasionally. There is a deeply rooted resentment in you. I know being a man its difficult for you to express it but a little more insight into your problem would more helpful for us to at least understand your wife's behaviour and how it hurts you. For now from your post I understood that your wife is nit expressive and dies not show any care or love or anything which is rare in wives. It comes across as she is not much vocal about expressing care, sympathy etc. It is her essential nature and also for some reason she is not motivated to change herself.

3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Hmmm I was thinking I'm reading a woman's version till I came to the last line.

What you have described is bit sketchy I wasn't able to understand what kind of appreciation you are looking at? Is it for earning for the family, taking care of kids, doing chores etc? Have you tried stopping what you are doing so that your partner misses it in the absence? Many a times things we do for the family are taken for granted.

I sense there is more to the issue than just appreciation and thanking each other. It's obvious that you are not happy in the marriage. How is your wife feeling? Is there any other issue in the marriage?

zeppelingirl and Sandycandy like this.
  4. magicwand007

magicwand007 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Benadryl.,

Reading your post comes as a surprise to me as I wanted to post something like this myself.I have been married for close to 4 yrs now and I have a 15 month old.I have stopped feeling any emotional connect with my husband.I know it was not like that before and I can pinpoint what has led to this emotional disconnect :
    -just as in your case my husband does not enquire if I am feeling ok once I tell him I am not well or feeling sick.
    -I feel he has no interest in my friends or my life.Basicslly I am a SAHM now and after he comes back from work he does not ask what I did or what I was upto.if I tell he listens.
    -I can name all his good friend's names etc from college but I bet he can't name any of my frnd's names.
    -last year when my parents came fir my delivery he did not talk to them for 3 months.I still don't know what went wrong he didn't tell me and as far as I know my parents did nothing wrong knowingly to offend him.those months were some of my darkest months.I still feel guilty that I called my parents here to the US and let them be treated like that.he was ok with them fir one month and after that I don't know what happened.

So basically he does not talk to my parents nor enquirer about them or my sister.i have also stopped doing the same with him.

So there is like zero things to talk between us.we are just like two roommates living in the same house.I think the last point has stirred up some hatred in me towards him and I have stopped being affectionate towards him.

He otherwise helps around the house ,is good with the kid ,not stingy with money at all,we go out regularly eat outetc stc.
    But these things really bother me and I am not able to even hug him as I have some resentment toward him.

So my story is a little similar to yours.Any advice would be appreciated.

5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

@Benadryl welcome to the world of millions of women that are under appreciated by their spouses, in laws and everyone else.
    Sometimes women can be emotionally aloof too and not necessarily the loving caring beings that we are always portrayed and expected to be.
    Besides the appreciation bit, do you and wife have a normal friendly relationship? Is it possible you are being overly sensitive ? Is there other behavior that might hint to a possibility of your wife being on the spectrum ( high functioning ) and hence not able to connect emotionally to you at all ?

On a side note, please don’t detest your children . Having kids with a emotionally detached spouse was your decision, not theirs. Please don’t use this as a excuse to seek emotional bonding with another woman, while in the marriage. Try to go for couples therapy and see if it helps. If things don’t change and it bothers you separate . There is no guarantee though that your second wife will also keep up with expressing her appreciation five years into a marriage with kids around.
    It can be tiring to express gratitude all the time , specially when it is done to please someone and does not come naturally.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  6. Benadryl

Benadryl Silver IL'ite

Exactly Any advise around this ? I don't know what else I can share. I have thought a lot about the deep rooted resentment bit. I guess some of it stems from my parents living off of me since a long time and not being one bit thankful ? But, that doesn't bother me too much emotionally as much as it bothers my finances.

I earn way more than the partner and this has never been a consideration for me. Thankfully, I have been a considerably high income earner from a very long time and money has barely gone to my head. What I am looking for is exactly what I have mentioned in my OP. Just little bits of thanking for giving a hand with the chores. Which, btw, when we discuss our lives we'd made sure that I will look after everything outside the house and she will look after everything inside the house (other than electrical and plumbing and repairs :p). And some glimpses of care where I can see she worries about me. I cannot stop what I do at home. I cannot see my partner slog away while am busy watching TV or doing other things. This is something I cannot change about myself. Growing up, I have been this way with my mother as well. Always giving her a hand when I am at home. No other issues in marriage. Partner says her way of caring is making good food for me - which is undeniable fact. Am always given a meal when I am home and she will always make whatever I ask of her. During the days she is unwell, I am happy to cook for the family - this is rare. May be once or twice a month.

I cannot sort out my own issue. I am in no way qualified to give you any sort of advice.

Exactly ! Yes. We do have a normal friendly relationship. By nature, I am very sensitive and she knows about this. And some part of me fears, she uses this to her advantage. I don't know how I can toughen up :(
    I have never thought about she being on the spectrum. I will start reading about this and observe.

7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for chores ? Sorry sir, this is how modern marriages work. The chores are expected, nothing out of the norm. This is what a marriage and partnership is all about these days.
    From your subsequent responses my guess is : you think you go beyond your expected role of providing financially by helping your wife at home with dishes/ cooking or anything else. So you think she should be grateful to you. So I totally see your wife’s POV, she does not have to express gratitude for something you are expected to do in the first place.

Parents living off you and not being thankful ? Again isn’t that expected as a well earning adult ?

I hope you don’t destroy a perfectly fine marriage/ family with some unreasonable expectations .
    Also read up on narcissism ( for yourself ). Not saying you are one, but the constant need for appreciation may point to that.
    Wish you the best !

yesican and Nonya like this.
  8. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

To answer your question..appreciations in words are mostly missing in most of the successful marriage. It is the act that shows if you are appreciated. If your wife cooks food that you like, cooks whatever you want etc. Then I think its her way of keeping you happy.
    I cant remember th last time I appreciated my husband for performing his duties responsibly or he appreciating me and for the record i don't get any help from him in household chores but he does everything that is outside and does really well.
    But there is no resentment build up with in me or him. So look at the act and don't go for the words . So if both the partners giving their heart and soul to their family then there is no space.of appreciation.

9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

OP. If you have a good relationship otherwise , then I guess your languages of love are very different.
    Do read the book The Five Love Languages
    The Five Love Languages - Wikipedia

Perhaps your love language is "words of affirmation" while hers is "acts of service"?

This book really helped me translate what i thought was love to what DH thought was love. Why, it made me ponder about what is it that DH should do to make me feel loved and complete , why some deeds irritate me and is he feeling loved - it helped our relationship a lot. Our own love language comes to us naturally, but you realise that for it to reach the partner you have to translate it ...

yesican and Benadryl like this.
  10. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

This issue is big if you think about it. Otherwise there is nothing much in this. Have you ever appreciated your wife? Even a kid needs appreciation. But if we don't give then his nature might not develop. But if as an elder you need this too much then you can appreciate your wife and tell her to do the same for you. Don't leave the topic until she do this for you. Behave as a kid and be adamant. It will create some funny and nice moments. Otherwise if taken seriously you will create a big problem out of nothing.