How important is dressing for a woman abroad??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jan 20, 2015.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

well..in India,we are judged by the way we dress.the more nicer you dress,the more respect you get when you shop.however,the case if different when we are abroad,especially in usa.all are equal.so even if you are in a very unstated dressing you still get good treatment.hence, you lack interest in dressing up.am i wrong?do you feel people abroad also judge you by the way you dress?

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Good dressing sense matters wherever you are. Its okay to go to the gym or buy grocery in track/sweats but to attend a PTA meeting or taking the kids to the museum etc, its nice to be dressed in casual formals.

3 people like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I dont believe it is taken that easily in abroad, specifically in the US to dress carelessly. I do not get your point clearly. Sorry for that.

Good dressing sense is very important no matter which part of the world you live. Also, you need to have the awareness of how to dress appropriately as per the place you visit.

Yes... You still get good treatment even if you dont have the decent dressing sense, but it does not mean you get the attraction or attention. Respecting a fellow human being for who he is, is a basic courtesy. But as human being, and young people, we definitely want more than this. Right?

For example, I am not expected to attend an official meeting with my night gown. Not expected to visit a temple with swimming suit and not to a pool with a saree.

How you dress neatly and as appropriate to your age, size and culture also equally matters. That gives you some attention, respect and importance apart from your other qualities.

When you wear a saree, you are expected to wear a bindi and certain minimum jewels at least. That suits. At the same time, too much of gold jewels are not appropriate with a shirt or knee length skirt. So, again how to dress matters.

Moreover, how you present yourself is also important. To wear the matching cloths, as per the colour, size and also accesaries as per the event.

3 people like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

hi,

what i meant is, there have been times when i have walked in a shop,mall with normal track pants and tee shirt,unkempt hair or even straight to cvs ,rite aid straight from the gym.yet i have been treated right.here in India,i see if we dress more neat and richer we are given more importance.if i dress in a cotton salwar kameez with unkempt hair and walk in a malliam not treated right.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Something wrong with the mind-set of the people out there.

I have visited India multiple times. Here in my country, we share almost same values as Indians. I have attended to shops and beaches with gym cloths and lose hair/uncombed. No one bothered to care about that.

But never in rural areas, where coming out of your home is special; hence women dress neatly and decently. Gym cloths and uncombed hairs are considered indecent. Moreover, inappropriate cloths for inappropriate place is also considered indecent. JMO

1 person likes this.
  6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

It depends on the situation. In a bigger mall or similar with lot of customers they may not notice what you are wearing. In a situation where there are few customers and you expect service it can have an impact. Always remembering when I went to buy a car. I had saved a substantial sum during my stay in US and had just returned to my home country. I went with a friend to a car dealer. I was wearing very casual clothes (was staying at my summer cottage as my house was not yet ready to move in). I found a new SUV that I was interested in and asked the salesperson about it. He looked at me and said that the car is very expensive and that we have on the back yard cheaper (used ones) options. Little did he know :D

5 people like this.
  7. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

I am sure we get judged by our attire everywhere, but not to the extent as back in India. Also in US people, in most instances do not express their true thoughts and feelings and are able to act nice.
    Personally, I feel dressing well helps in building self confidence, and shows that you care.

1 person likes this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I think attire is important. Some may explicitly and some may implicitly convey their displeasure. I believe attire represents the respect you give to the other person. In US for example, they may not say anything to you but may process your needs as quickly as possible. But if you are dressed appropriately, they may smile or do some small talk. Whenever i go out, i make sure that i am dressed appropriately with the hair combed and jewelry. I don't even go out if I have not taken a bath.

1 person likes this.
  9. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

It does make a difference here in USA.

When dressed as per the style here, I get better service. People assume I am one of them, and I know what to expect when I walk into a shop/restaurant/mall.

When dressed simply (which I love) or even in salwar - suit, their outlook changes. They are still nice, but do not bother much.

Of course, there is one time I got lots of attention when I put on a saree. Every one was interested in me then, and they had some remarks or questions about the sari.

2 people like this.
  10. larapowell

larapowell Bronze IL'ite

Attire is indeed important, especially in a professional set up. Yes, in India people do tend to judge a lot because on most occasions, it is your clothes that define you.

1 person likes this.