1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How I Voted This Time

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Strange are the ways of the voters Including that of yours truly). Even for educated ones ( I presume I belong to this category) all sort of strange considerations come into pcture when they press the button on the voting machine.
    Take my daughter, she voted for the Aam Admi Party (AAP) in the Delhi assembly elections. This time the party was a strict no-no. The reason? She heard from some animal rights activists that AAP chief and ex-Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal didn’t like dogs barking outside his residence and wanted them to be removed! So Ashish Khetan, dog-hating Arvind’s frontman lost a vote. in his New Delhi parliamentary constituency. Instead her vote went to an independent.
    I can’t complain about that. For years I have been voting for independents mostly in a vain attempt to ensure that they did not lose their security deposits. Once I voted for a guy who belonged to a party with a fancy name called Baba Jai Gurudev party because its manifesto promised the end of Kali Yuga and the advent of Satyuga.
    You may wonder whether it was the right thing to do for a man who boasts about his high IQ and rationalist mindset all the time But when people vote on the basis of promises equally impossible to fulfill are even if it is possible to fulfill them are put on the backburner after the polls, I don’t see anything wrong with my choice. Once I even voted for a guy because he had a lush well-waxed moustache, the kind few MPs had.. Unfortunately he lost. If he had won, I am sure he would have left a distinctive makr on parliament because of his formidable lip hair.
    So to whom did my vote go this time.? Never mind the candidates themselves. Let us take the party top honchos instead. . They decided the way my vote will go After all, the parties are seeking votes on the basis of mugs of their top honchos—Rahul Gandhi for Congress, Narendra Modi for BJP and Arvind Kejriwal for AAP.
    For over a week, I have been getting seriously unnerved when I open my morning paper. The front page had no news . Instead the unmsmiling eyes of Narendra Modi stared at me from a full-page BJP ad, seeking votes on the basis of that smileless face.
    It was a frightening prospect. If BJP wio and Modi became the Prime Minister i would have to see the unnerving face in government ads. If looking at that face for a few days can unnerve me imagine looking at it day in and day out for a five year period. No thanks no BJP despite a reasonable manifesto.
    And the Congress guys cannot see beyond Gandhi and if they do they see Vadra and nothing else. So the banners TV and newspaper ads, is Rahul Rahul all the way. If I was unnerved by Modi not saying cheese I got irritated by Rahul doing it all the time. Smile you call it? A man ‘s true personality, I believe is revealed if you look closely at his smile. Here the smile is a misnomer for what appears to be a retarded grin. Do you think any sensible person would abet in handing over the country to a person whose mind is the reflection of such a smile oops sorry, grin?
    So my choice fell on AAP. I saw no newspaper ads with a smiling Kejriwal/ Someone told me the party didn’t have the money for it. Well and good. It is better to vote for a penniless party rather than one with a Rs 400 crore ad budget. Wonder where do they get that sort of money. Obviously from big moneybags with promises of favors. After all votes come only once in five years and public memory is proverbially short. And that amnesia can be used again and again to con the voters but notes (currency that is) can be kept flowing from business honchos whenever the big parties want. All they have to do is to dance to their tunes, people be damned..

4 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

In general, politicians are allergic to hear the voice of the voters but ARKE is very different and he does not even like to hear the voice of the dogs either. Your daughter is right. If voices are not heard, there is no point in voting for that politician!

How one compensates for a low IQ other than grinning? You have to understand the predicament of RAGA. Will Modi smile and shave once he becomes the Prime Minister? That is the question one should ask before the election.

Viswa

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa by ha ving an allergy dkifferent from that of other leaders Kejriwal has proved that AAP is a party with a difference. The problem is %RaGa's smile mirrors his low intellect instead of hiding it. Modi shaving? I read somewhere that the CIA believing that the secret of Castro;s popularity lay in his beard lauhched a conspiracy to ensure that all his facial hair disappeared that didn't work. part of the NaMo charisma lies in the beard.He may lose votes if he removes it.May be the guy has rotten teeth that's why he speaks without opening his mouth and is unsmiling.

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,
    Poor RAGA was forced to hold the mantle by cronies of madam. We have to grin and bear his grin out of piety.
    For the first time the EC has introduced NOTA and if I find no good candidate I am going to use it.
    PS

1 person likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Puspavalli ma'am NOTA would be a great choice at least in Tamil Nadu since all the three main groupings, AIADMK front, DMK front and the BJP-led frpnmt are utter disappointments.

6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Balajee..
    I thought maybe you will show me the path forward.. as we go to polls next week but you've left me in the same stage of dilemma.. should one vote for the party or the candidate? once I think candidate first party next and it reverses and the confusion prevails.. I liked your choice for independents as the least we can do is to ensure someone doesn't lose any money.. NOTA is not a good option I believe..
    kerman

7. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

i dont know about the ELECTIONS but i'm enjoying the CAPTIONS.....

He he he.........

I'd say as long as the next government can provide relief to suicidal farmers, protect women and give jobs to the people..... All parties are welcome...........

Iss liye vo naa karna jo pehle kiya harr baar,
    abb ki baar karo vote usko jo ho haqdaar...........

1 person likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kerman, I think NOTA is a very good option. In fact law should be amended to ensure that If Mr.,NOTA gets the maximum number of votes in a constituency repoll must be held there. That way voters will really be able to call the shots.

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Quebec, I particularly liked the Daya one, These slogans are really absurd. But who is "haqdaar" here? May be Mr.NOTA.

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Balajee,

a smile can put a fear of the devil eh? But I hear you. As I reflected back, I do realize that usually it is the personality or the issues that draw me to a party. So I have on occasion voted for a party that I do not agree with based on how strongly I feel and I continue to do so. There are certain things that are close to our heart and it is good to listen to them and we do need to be informed electorate not only about the parties but also about what we want and how to bring about that change. So your DD not voting for AAP and you voting for them, makes sense to me!

PS: Googled to learn about NOTA :)