1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how i know when i have to start bottle

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Reesha, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

hi,

i am breast feeding mom to 8 month child now. i feed solids to my baby 4 times a day & will nurse him around 6-8 times in day time(each nursing is 3-5 min only) & 4 times at nights. until now my baby weight is seems to be good. but from 1 month onwards we are observing that he is not gaining weight but increasing height. so he is becoming thin for looks.

he is not seems to be hungry. but i want to start bottle feeding to him to add more diet because he is not gaining weight. when i can start bottle feeding or can i take more food to make him increase weight. i am not taking much food like previous months from last month onwards because to loose weight.

some people are saying that, we don't get need of bottle usage if we continue breast feeding for long time. directly we can make child to drink milk in tumbler. from what age we have to use tumbler? my kid is interested to drink milk or water using glass some times only not all times.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Reehsa, since he is already 8 months, perhaps you can stall introducing bottle to him at this point. You can start the sippy cups (soft spout ones). In another few months you will be looking into weaning him off the bottle anyway, so my suggestion would be to introduce sippy.
    Also, don’t worry too much about weight gain as long as he is active and happy. As they grow older, the pace at which they put on weight slows down. My DD was 13 kgs when she was 15 months and at almost 3 years, she is 14 kgs. A little on the lower end but the doctor says she is fine.

Also, instead of concentrating on foods that will help weight gain, start looking into giving him a wide range of foods that will meet his dietary requirements. Like make sure he is getting a helping of fruit, veggies, protein, dairy etc. You get the point right?

3. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

thank youmademydaysmiley

4. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

From 6 month onwards babies gain around 300 grams weight per month. so if you son is gaining around that much it should be ok.

I did not bottle train my kids. I started directly with sipper and tumbler at 6 months of age. It worked out well.

6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Why are you BFing 4 times in the night - is that a typo error or I understood wrong?

If he wakes up in the night, dont BF, give him a sip of water using a sipper or spout - he should drink a glass of milk (or BM or eat dinner - full stomach) before sleeping then ideally wake up in the morning hungry!!! If thats not happening - check if he is comfortable in the night and has enough warmth, no wet diaper etc. BFing 4 times a night is not good for your sleep and also his habits.

Have 2 hour gaps between your BM and solid food - alternate BM and solid food - 4 times solids + 6-8 time BM in day time is also too often !
    e.g - in this schedule you got 4 solids and 4 BMs only
    6am milk/BM
    8am breakfast - solid
    10am BM (and sleep ??)
    1 pm lunch - solid (and sleep ??)
    4 pm snack/BM
    6 pm fruit
    8 pm dinner - solid
    9 pm milk/BM

Your baby must have started crawling and they want to explore, so if they are not hungry, they will not eat - dont force feed !

And as they start moving around, their weight also starts to stagnate !!! This is the time they build muscles and confidence and motor skills - dont worry about food - God makes babies selfish - so they'll eat what they need :) - as long as they are healthy and happy !!! Just provide a variety and introduce all kinds of food slowly - look out for reactions too.

As you've started solids, you can start introducing cereals (ragi, wheat, rice, etc) veggies and fruits one by one - introduce 1 new item a week - and be alert to changes in his stools, behavior etc - e.g when I gave my son beetroot for the first time his stools were blood red in color and I freaked out till I remembered the beetroot - same with papaya, pumpkin etc....

If the little stomach cant handle it yet, you'll know what to give and what not to give - my son couldnt digest tamarind till he was almost 2 !!!

The main reason you may need to start bottle at this age is to introduce it to him so that any travels in the next one year can be managed with formula milk powder if normal boiled milk is not available - if you dont have any plans or if your baby has some alternative food for any travels - dont worry about introducing bottle now - he doesnt seem to need it and it is a lot of work washing and sterilizing and keeping them clean!!!

At 8 months, he can drink from steel glass - we just buy those colorful spouted sippers so that we can make them their favorite cups and make it fun so that they dont refuse to drink milk when they're sick or with cold/cough etc... Quite useful - but keeping them hygenic is again a responsibility :)

7. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

thanks a lot for long reply. yeh, night sleep is totally disturbing to me. but baby seems to be hungry. i tried to avoid my BM when he is moving in sleep. but he doesn't stop moving or searching for my nipple in sleep. if i didn't give BM, he is crying. but sleeping disturbance not bothering me much.
    coming to travels so on...i am wearing saree every time. so i am covering myself & giving BM to baby. so no probes. my baby is using walker now. :) so he is playing a lot & but not taking expected amount of solids. thanks for schedule. almost i am fallowing that. but my kid slept at 7.30PM to 5.30 AM. so bit change in it.
    yeh, bottles will improves my work. i will try sipper once.