1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How I Caught My Stalker?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sride, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Sride

Sride Bronze IL'ite

Ma'am, call for you said the receptionist. I answered," Hello" and the person on other side said yes Madam, "you asked to call me" "May i know your name?" but I don't know who you are and he said you left message asking me to call you.'

Sorry maybe a miscommunication. He disconnected saying its OK.

I forgot all about the call and 2 days later another call," Madam so when do you need the car?". Excuse me, what car? Madam you left message to rent a car. I disconnected saying i did not and went on with my job.

Next week another call and the caller claimed that he received my message and routinely i answered sorry I did not. After 5 to 6 calls I started wondering what's happening.

Slowly but steadily the frequency of calls increased and was worrisome. One day, my colleague called me on intercom and asked“Why did you not tell us you are engaged and when did you? “I laughed and answered “Thank you for letting me know of my engagement”

My colleagues always teased me about a secret boyfriend or was making fun to find one for me. But what he said next put a stop to my tracks. “No seriously someone just called and said he is your fiance” I was lost for a minute and fear kicked in. I confided that I have been receiving some weird calls off late. It was his turn to laugh. “So finally your secret admirer is calling you” He told me not to worry.

But I was and was wondering who can help me. Finally, I decided to confide in a friend and seek his help. He thought about it and said he will check with the telecom service provider on who is sending messages in my name from an unknown number.

That night,I was remembering every call I received. Then I remembered one such call in my previous employment and brushed it off as a prank by a friend and never checked with him.

I consoled myself hoping the telecom company would help me. I was suspicious of everyone around me.

I was woken up by the shrill noise of the phone ringing. I checked the time and it was midnight. Oh Mom what a time to call. But there was no response. Just someone breathing. I disconnected and lost my sleep. Two nights later another call at 2am and again a blank call. It was torture for me at work and home. I was living alone in the city and was scared. I did not know whom to trust.

Few days later my friend met me and the response from telecom company was a big blow. They refused to help claiming privacy and suggested to help only on grounds of a police complaint and legal procedures. He said the customer service girl relayed this information.

I did not want to complicate the situation bringing in legal procedures. Battling alone would force me to face uncomfortable questions from police . My courage failed me.

Nightly calls became regular and i was perturbed. I cried to my friend. He promised to find a way out. I was jittery and the trauma caused panic attacks. I was sleeping at friends' houses. But how long can this go on ?

One day I broke down and cried for hours. Pushing me into a corner kicked my survival instincts. I decided to help myself and catch the caller. With increasing courage now the caller started talking and used to describe my day and my activities. He was becoming aware of my daily life. Listening to him patiently, yes “patiently” made me realize he is known to me and he was hovering around me. Yet i could not recognize the voice nor find out. My brain exercises began and i was seeking for a pattern in the calls but none.

Now I had to devise a plan to get him. Step by step my plan was in process. I scrutinized everyone I met and analyzed every word I heard.

I sought the telecom company again with a negative answer. After all the scrutiny I still could not identify the person but my fear was easing with my plans to move to another country.

Finally, eerie nightly calls and after lot of sleepless nights working on the puzzle. I started listing names and who spent more time with me and I zeroed in the guy who was stalking me. The plan was set in motion. “Yes” An email was sent just to him to inform of my wedding plans abroad.

I covered all my bases and was waiting for the call. The call came and it was my turn to smile. Caller says Madam we are calling from the consulate of the country you are moving to and received the information of your wedding plans. There are some forms to be filled for completion of the process. I listened to him rambling for 5 minutes.You cannot just go and get married, he was desperate. Calmly, I enquired which city was he calling from and the “biggest mistake”...Madam i am calling from the consulate in the city you live in.

When I stated I covered my bases, online research said the consulate was in a different city and they did not even have a representative in my city. Bang Thats it. Confirmed he is the stalker.

Tears of relief and disappointment flowed. How could he?

Maybe you guessed....... Yes the stalker was the dear friend whom I confided in and whose help I sought. Second culprit was his friend who made the calls on his behalf. I was shocked to realize he persisted all these months despite my panic attacks. Did he enjoy my trepidation? I cannot answer.

I disconnected from him completely and did not answer any of his calls. After a month I received an email from an ex-colleague, she was a good friend too. She wrote to inform me of her marriage, her accident in recent past and wanting to know my whereabouts. He was not aware that she did not own the email account and she was not married. So blocked the email account.

He was now guessing how did he get caught :)

My blissful married life abroad started on a peaceful note.

Yet to this day, it gives me goosebumps.

Do you have a similar story? please share.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Presila, Agatha83, Vaikuntha and 12 others like this.

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Wow. Is this a real story??

3. mayaangel

mayaangel Gold IL'ite

So scary , if it is real !

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Sride

Thank you for sharing this experience. It gives men an insight into what kind of struggle a young woman needs to undergo when someone stalks her in a foreign land. Going to the cops is not an automatic choice as one could never predict what would be the outcome. Handling alone or seeking help from friends now appear to be even dangerous. Violating the trust in a friendship is the worst form of sin one could commit. It is really scary and I am so glad you tracked him down and eliminated him from your life through a precise move to find him. God bless you in your wonderful married life.

KashmirFlower and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Good, it ended peacefully but bit painful to digest the fact he was a good friend of you.

6. Sride

Sride Bronze IL'ite

Yes Sunshime, It really was an unfortunate experience but a lesson learnt :)

Vaikuntha likes this.
  7. Sride

Sride Bronze IL'ite

It was difficult to accept Kcb. I could overcome.

8. Sride

Sride Bronze IL'ite

Mayaangel it is real and a traumatic experience of mine :)

9. Sride

Sride Bronze IL'ite

Trust is a valuable quality, hard to find now a days. Despite the experience I am now learning to make and trust friends. Survival instincts kick in when one has to fight alone. Thank you for the blessings :)

Presila and Vaikuntha like this.
  10. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

OMG! That is one traumatic expression..Kudos to your gut feeling!