1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How Early We Should Book Flight Tickets To India? Any Inputs?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Jan 3, 2019.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Oh ok. My bad, I misread.
    Man, that really sucks, that’s really bad. And the 14 hr leg is pretty long too. Usually that’s when I start to relax knowing I am well and truly on my way and begin to feel hungry too!

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@gknew, not sure if this is already mentioned in thread. The number of free checked in bags allowed can vary. I remember reading Lufthansa allows 1 bag of 23 kg (50lbs). Cathay, Emirates and Singapore allow 2 bags of 23 kgs. If this matters to you, factor it in. Charge for extra checked in baggage varies.

shravs3, Laks09 and gknew like this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for the info @Rihana.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Looking on the positive side, I always took food on flights. I packed my idli/Roti with podi puliogare/lemon rice variety of things for both the legs and my family would rag me incessantly. I had stopped doing that. Phir se shuru kiya!
    That brings me to a top tip. @gknew - take food. With kids we never know.

1Sandhya and gknew like this.
  5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Use Google Flights Flights to check prices. It also gives you the historical price for that day and route so you can get a better idea when to book.

shravs3 and gknew like this.
  6. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Try Air India only as a last option, this is your first time flying back so choose a good airline

gknew and Rihana like this.
  7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Don’t fly Cathay Pacfic if you are in East Coast it has the longest flying time.

gknew likes this.
  8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Yes, I am flying from East coast. I did check the Cathay Pacific. It has a long flying time.

9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I actually like airindia quite a bit and I feel the food is best when compared to all airlines.

For some one flying in Delhi or Mumbai or northern area ... direct flights form Chicago or New York are real timesavers ...also for some destinations in south India like for Vijayawada , I believe connecting flight is within 2 hours which is very good , I went to one hyd and it was 3 hr wait and immigration was in hyd, so I felt I gained lot of time compared to
    Flying to middle east and take connecting flight ... if wait times for connecting flights are very high then It does not make any difference.

Food from us- India was quite good .

Downside was screens were not working may be because mine was old fight and changing seats did not help. So if you go with small kids , this is a consideration. For some reason in return flight from del to us , there was no drinks served - no hot nor cold drinks, it was quite strange and the food was quite bad which was basically light supper of cold sandwiches but they also Indian type chutney and coleslaw sandwiches and snacks available through out , so it kind of compensated .

But I think the time of flight is deal maker for
    Air India based on your destination

1Sandhya and gknew like this.
  10. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Never choose an airline based on food, the top criteria should be safety record and service. After too many bad incidents about Air India their aircraft maintenance has gone down the drains

Air India pilots safely land flight in New York after crucial instruments go kaput

Plane nearly ran out of fuel after pilots forgot to bring up landing gear

Air India plane hits a wall on takeoff, and pilot keeps on flying

Air India Pilots Brawl in Cockpit

shravs3 likes this.