How does the Gita begin ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 2, 2007.

1. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear chith,
    A highlymotivating start to the first chapter.You have mentioned the confusion in Arjunas mind.Krishna pitching arjuna against his own kith and kinbrings outhow jealousy and sefishness makes one disown ones own blood.Looking forward to more on Samsara.
    Regards,
    Meenu

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meenu,
    Thanks for your motivating F B.
    I will explain in the next Gita post that in this context Samsara does not mean bondage but dependence !
    More than relationship, dependance on external factors, people, circumstances cause us sorrow.
    We think we want to be happy, but we forget
    We are Happiness !
    Love,
    Chith.
    <xml id=yoombaxml></xml>

3. thejasree

thejasree New IL'ite

Hello Chithramam,

I keep reading such posts repeatedly so as to absorb it well.

Can u clarify a doubt? Is it right to say that Arjuna is our self and the four horses driven by Krishna are our mind, intellect, body and soul ? If so is it right to say that Krishna -God who is within ourselves controls the four horses to run in the same direction?
    Hope i am not moving away from the main topic..?

Regards,

Thejasree

4. Chitvish

Dear Thejasree,
    There are possibly many ways of interpreting it.
    The body is the chariot & the road is the life.
    The horses are sense organs, governed by buddhi, the intellect represented by the charioteer.
    Arjuna represents the jivatma who is travelling.
    There are more complex comparisons, which I do not want to quote.
    Love,
    Chithra.
    <xml id=yoombaxml></xml>

5. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,
    It was really an absorbing start about Bhagavat Gita and I am looking forward to more to come.You have written it in such simple language which makes reading a pleasure and i am sure we will all benefit and get to know some more about our great Hindu Philosophy . Kudos!

Regards
    Latha Sasidharan

6. Chitvish

Dear Latha,
    Welcome to this sub forum - I do not remember to have interacted with you here ! It is likely that my memory is failing me as well, with advancing age !:icon_frown:
    I am very happy to read your F B. With the necessary background in vedanta, I plan to write the Gita in stages, to the best of my ability !
    Love,
    Chithra.
    <xml id=yoombaxml></xml>

7. thejasree

thejasree New IL'ite

Hi Chithramam,

I am sorry if i have hurt you by interrupting your flow of thoughts. I was trying to recollect what was taught in school almost 18-19 years back.
    We had a subject called Gita in which half the marks was for Gita chanting and half was for written. Written paper in the junior classes was based on Bhagawad Gita- a small book compiled by Swami Chinmayanda- which was mostly, if i remember right, Bhakti Yoga and Karma yoga. In the senior class it was based on 'Kindle life' which is written by Swamiji himself.
    Your posts are an inspiration....after reading your posts, i feel i must read those books again.

Regards,

Thejasree

8. Chitvish

Dear Thejasree,
    No problem at all ! Why do you apologise? Please feel free with me, as you would with your own mother.
    You are right, afer I write a few more posts on Gita, you will be able to appreciate, the books you mention, much better !
    Keep them ready !
    Love,
    Chithra.
    <xml id=yoombaxml></xml>

9. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

My dear Chitra,

A very crisp introduction to Gita, Krishna placing the chariot in front of Bhishma and Drona, and leaving him in dilemma seems to be so true in everyday life. You have done it once again with simple explanations. Hope to get back on track and get more in depth with Gita understanding.

love,

10. Chitvish

Dear Radhanjana,
    Thanks for coming back to this forum, more because you are one of the few who wanted me to write about the Gita.
    Please read the Gita articles in the order I have posted for better understanding.
    Yes, Gita starts with a "dilemma":, akin to our everyday life !
    Love,
    Chithra.