1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you reinforce good behavior?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Riyasmommy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Ramya,

I think some kids are just born like that. Aniish too is like that. I had such a hard time cooking, doing other simple chores with him around. But i realise he has a keen eye with respect to observation. DH has this habit of misplacing things. Aniish finds them immediately. Now I feel I should have encouraged him exploring normal stuff at home. But you know how it is when we moms want to finish work and move on. Also these days he has started to play with his toys. Bottomline we can't force them to play with what we like.. just let him be and remove him from scene of dangers. that's the best that can be done.

Latha

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Uma,

you're 200% right. we think how a child would know. but my son too dislikes if i complain to his father. DH always warned me about that. one fine day my boy himself told me amma don't tell appa i did this mischief, i'll tell him. i was pink.

Latha

3. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

latha... even my daughter wont like if i complain abt her activites to his dad.... the moment i start immed she will start telling the whole story and she herself will finish it like i'm sorry i wont do this again... from then i stopped complaining...

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

i think u ladies are right, i shouldn't yell at her. I think i need more patience. I do agreed with U latha with 1st kid most moms don't know wht to do.

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ramya - Its just the age they are at. Its been a month now since Aadhu played with any of his toys for more than 3-4 mins at a time (before he could play for 10-15 min stretches). He has realized that the house is much more interesting than boring old toys any day! So I have learned to adapt - I have a lower shelf in the wardrobe with old towels etc. for him to pull out, a low drawer in the kitchen with some safe pots/wooden ladles and a shelf in the TV cabinet with his books, some wall charts at his eye level in the living room - so he has something he is allowed to do in every room. Of course it doesnt work 100% but it has considerably cut down on my yelling.

Vanathi.

6. shobanaj

shobanaj Senior IL'ite

Very useful and interesting thread. Its good to hear so many useful tips from Indus mothers.

I will also implement the ideas as suggested as am going through the same problem with my kids tantrums.

7. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Wow...you have such a sweet girl. My lil boy is very naughty. He will break something and intently look at my face to see how I react. He keeps testing me all the time. Maybe he will grow up to be a psychologist.

Kavya.

8. vasanthano1

vasanthano1 New IL'ite

Its very interesting thread... came to know a lot of information about how to handle kids.

Even my son also wont play with his toys. Always he wants to know what i am doing and wants to play with kitchen items only. Hope these tips r going to useful for me to handle my son

Regards,

Vasantha

9. booboo

booboo Senior IL'ite

haha Kavvya mine also tests my patience a lot. But she's slightly scared of her dad, at times she takes him also for a ride.
    Latha soon u'll have less trouble i guess they'll learn from each other. I too have to plan soon since my Lo is 20 mo now...
    I too noticed if i'm tired or stressed that day my LO's behavior is the worst like yesterday. She tried to scream for everything and made be exhausted while feeding her. I had to walk all over the place but he had just a mouth or two. I had last moment packing also since we're leaving to India todayRant.......And worst she didn't allow me to sleep. She was kicking me so badly huh.....had a tough time.....Sometimes it happens:spin

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I love all the tips and suggestions this thread has. This is on my "defintely read" for later on also.

Raj