1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you make your kids listen to you?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by teju, Mar 27, 2009.

1. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

I agree Meena, but some kids just dont get it by seeing alone..

my kid is just 2 yrs, he doesnt take the cue from my behaviour at this stage. May be he will understand what I am doing but for him to know that the same is expected out of him is very difficult for his age.. May be a little older toddlers ( of 3+ yrs)will be able to grasp things and imitate it as they would understand the difference between a good and a bad behaviour.

2. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Arthi,
    Thank you so much!! Yes, I do follow the method you use for brushing and sneezing.
    I do end up getting really tired after a point of time. I understand that its only until they start getting the idea... But we have a long way to go...
    Thanks a lot!

3. lakshmi ganesh

lakshmi ganesh Junior IL'ite

hi teju,

i have a 2 year 3 months old daughter.i manage her with our imaginary character 'babu anna'.just like that i told her a story once with a character named babu.she started calling him as babu anna.she is now fond of him(???).instead of telling her don't do this,do like this...........,i just tell it in terms of babu anna.nowadays many are having single kids in home.v don't have anyone role model for them.but this imagination hepled me a lot.if i tell the do's and dont's with consequences referring to her favourite character she listens that.for my surprise she herself tell something referring to her model(babu anna).

thx to babu anna

regs
    lakshmi.G

4. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Lakshmi
    Thanks a lot!! That was an out-of-box idea!!
    Let me also try to create a character like that and see how it goes!!!

5. lakshmi ganesh

hi,

All the best teju

regs
    lakshmi.G

6. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

Me too created an imaginary character like that and use that for potty training but it does not work. I tell her Ricardo will come and catch u if u pee in the carpet. while accidents happen she tells me to call Ricardo.not at all afraid off.

Indra

7. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Lakshmi - thanks!!

Hi Indra - Sorry to say, but that was funny!!! What can I say, nowadays kids are just too smart!!! They are born with super fast brains, unlike us :)

8. jelaja

jelaja New IL'ite

Hi,

We have also created a character called HUNTER UNCLE. He is typically a tall man with a hat and a gun in hand. The so called hunter uncle always comes when something is not right and punishes who ever makes a mistake. So my son is at times scared when he does a mistake, if either me or my husband happen to drop something down or for that matter anything which is not OK he will immediately call hunter uncle and say please come to check appa, that time he is not scared.
    This works for us most of the time, especially at bed time.

Love,
    Jelaja

9. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Jaleja,
    Thanks for your inputs. I havent created such a character yet. I have my own concerns about instilling fears. This will have a huge impact on the child's development and in the future.

10. lakshmi ganesh

hi,

i agree with teju.create good role models for kids,but don't create fear with such models.v never tell our daughter that she will be punished for her mistakes by some one.v just explain her the cause and effect like a story with our imaginary character.it works great with her

regs
    lakshmi.G