1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you make your kids listen to you?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by teju, Mar 27, 2009.

1. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Asha,
    Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.
    I agree with you about distraction. It worked wonders for me when my girl was between 1-2 yrs old. Now she understands everything and holds onto her point, until I listen to her. No amount of distraction helps. She is so adamant that I end up listening to her, rather than the other way around.
    - Your talk about dirty things is good. I like the idea. I will start this method soon. Thanks!
    - Hide and seek play is also a nice idea, I havent done this before. will try soon.
    - Thankfully my girl hasnt started throwing things yet!! So I am good.

Question for you - how old is your kid? Do you feed your kid or let him/her eat by self.

2. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

hi Teju - My LO just turned 2 years and 9 months old. She has been eating by herself with a spoon or hand for a few months now. But i do end up feeding her sometimes, when i guess she is reluctant to eat by herself only coz she is busy doing something else.

Wish you the best in implementing these methods with ur DD.

3. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Asha,
    Good that you started making her eat on her own. Let it continue. :)

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

You mean using reading as a bribe? Forever I hope :) Realistically it may stop anytime I think - its something he loves right now but kids always go through phases of "loving" an activity and then will have nothing to do with it. So I dont know really. The day he can read well on his own I'm sure I can no longer use this bribe, but he has a long way to go before that so let me just enjoy the good times until then :)

What next - good question. I dont know. See, I never planned my current methods - it just happened. Hopefully at that point I will figure something out? I like the idea of a star chart at a later date. I will save this thread for ideas maybe!

V.

5. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hey Asha.. those are some very good points..

I like the Big Hug and Bigg KISSS the best method! I am gonna try it when my DS kind of gets irritated or cranky.

6. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hey Aadhusmom, Reading is such a good habit by itself and you using it as bribe (no more a bribe!) is good for you :) I am sure you will feel helpless when this reading attraction for your DS doesnt work on some bad days.. There must be some well thought of backup plans.

With my DS, I do distract him when I expect a tantrum. only thing is now it is so difficult to distract him, he just does not budge, he keeps on repeating what he is saying or asking for. I keep repeating what I am saying.. but I give up! Somedays when he gives up, I get the feeling of conquering the world, infact I would feel my heart smile!

7. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

oh yes AD. it works best if ur LO is of that soft types who likes to cuddle with you. best !

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Moms, I have been wondering about this thread. How do you get anyone to do anything for that matter is a million dollar question for me? Anyway, I will stick to the question of how to make a toddler receptive. I had to share this with DH and he tells me they do. Whaddya know somebody has been researching the same thing and has an answer:bowdown.
    Their conclusion is that the toddlers do listen to you.
    Teju, your child does listen to you, but is just being a toddler if she does not follow your instructions. :) Not being helpful here am I?

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Krithika, are you a mind reader? I was just going to post that in my short experience as a toddler's mother, I feel that they do listen, store it in their brain, and then go on their way. Riya does and says some things now that we have told her a couple months ago, and presto all of a sudden she says it or does it without even being told at that moment! It seems like her brain stores the information, and processes it when it thinks the moment is right, not when we are telling her to do. :) Your link to the research confirms to what I have been thinking and wondering about.

Raj

10. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hello Teju and all contributors of this thread,
    I am really happy to see such good ideas to divert and distract the kids and really excited to know more ideas.
    Myself being a toddler's mother, facing a hard time in raising my Cherry, who is 1 year 4 months. Infact he and myself are used for bribing. If he wants to bath, I have to give him soap box and extra mug. If he wants to eat, then I have to play his favourite CD or any comic cartoon. Currently we are in destroy phase, whichever coastly toy we give him, just in a few mins or an hour it looses its shape or functionality. Not only toys, even TV, he easily scrolls down all the channels in a momemnt we involve in watching any good program. What not, he is making use of all the possibilities everywhere.
    So far my tantrums are Playing a favourite DVD,Taking him to fridge and open it, so that he is excited to get something from fridge, Taking him towards tap as he likes to hold water in his hands, Taking him to dressing table so that he can manhandle all my cosmetics, And Hide & Seek, so always I hide and he will pull me out so on and so forth.
    As of now, these are the week points of cherry which I am taking an advantage over them. But I know so soon, he will be out of these blues and I will have to find and explore new tantrums.

Dear moms please pour all your ideas and best possible solutions which will really help us in distracting these toddlers.