1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Maintain Your "sanity" At This Time?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by anika987, Jul 27, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am a homemaker but still feel like house arrest these days.Before corona,I did have my things to do,routine,kid's activities and taking them there,meeting neighbors and other moms in the bus stop ,hobby classes,some outing ,something or the other.Now feel somewhat suffocated. I do have work at home but after a while feel drained.Even my hubby feels the same.How do you guys manage days like these?
    What is your routine these days especially homemakers?

MaruthiRao likes this.

2. MadhuRK

MadhuRK Silver IL'ite

Hi Anika,

I hear you. I was in the same boat. But I feel much better after squeezing in 20 minutes of exercise into my daily routine. Its not much, but that's all I have the energy for, after running behind a kid, house work, laundry, more cleaning, seriously how much messy can a small 3 member household be. Also, why is nobody else going mad like me ?

I'm not a big fan of rigorous intense workouts and I enjoy variety a lot. Somedays its 20 minutes of yoga, 20 minutes walk or a short 20 minute run. Some. other days I just go out to my yard and dig dirt for 20 minutes, pull out the weeds, put in something new. Gardening is pure therapy for me. Or I take 20 minutes to just lie down on a yoga mat and do Shavasana. Or perhaps 10 reps of the same cobra pose due to my recurrent back pain.

This 20 minute window has made a big difference to my mood and general happiness. I'm feeling much less cranky. Hope this helps.

anika987 and shreepriya like this.
  3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Its the same situation with all women here, with increasing cases in India, we are scared to step out for essentials also. Additional difficulties are faced by working women who need to balance household work and office work alongside with online classes of kids or naughty toddlers...those who have elderly in laws with them would have more workload...you just need to keep yourself too busy to brood and try some good recipes, watch your favourite movies and listen to good music..spend quality time, with your husband and child and teach new stuff to your kid and learn new things too..it’s very easy to sink into depression during this pandemic. One needs be very calm and cool...easier said than done..after reading daily updates on news I get mini panic attacks. Taking deep breaths and diverting mind and energies to something else keeps me sane.
    Now since domestic helps are not allowed here, I’m too tired after all chores. I consider that to be daily workout. Sometimes it helps me to not go crazy with negative thoughts.

4. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

All women have big problems now. Meditation helps lot. Practice Deep breathing and do whatever is needed. Don’t overstretch. Lot of people are taking out food from restaurants or doing Uber eats, DoorDash etc. Try to keep balance. Don’t watch same news on tv, it affects bad. I just read news headlines on my phone. monotonous house work was problem for everyone before also. Try to involve kids and every family member. Don’t take all pressure on u alone. Do whatever makes u happy, exercise music painting etc
    At least some working moms don’t have to commute to office. No more get together so that time energy is saved. We should think positive that we have food shelter. Many people have to go work without break just for basic necessities.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I stayed home for 10 weeks before headed back to office. I was in the same boat in the initial days. DH would sit in front of computer all day (of course working), I worked too, but he expected food to be on the table at lunch and in the evening he would head out for exercise every day. I would get furious!! I have the same needs, I am working full time while managing the kid, and I too needed exercise. Where would I fit everyday cooking? We woke up late everyday thinking that we have time that we saved from no commute and no activities for kid, but in effect during th day we were stretching ourselves. It took couple of weeks to educate him on how I need help and we all are eating more (this was true) and since we decided no take outs, all hands on deck are needed. Sometimes telling him everyday was a chore. I was not happy at all. It took me a while but he came around. We would cook, eat and go out for walk in the evenings in our neighborhood. But it took half of the lock down time to get there!!!

I wanted to go back to office so bad. Started office in June. I feel much happier now, while he works from home. He helps me in the evening everyday on cooking now.

KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi all.. we are all in the same boat and trying to deal our best.Thanks for being supportive.Some days it feels off and am trying my best to stay sane.I will try your tips and it is good it write it out and get it out of the system.Hopefully everything ends soon.

lavani and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

All are in same boat for sure but the size of boats are very very different.
    I gave up in maintaining a clean spick and span house and i paint a lot.

try to look at positive side all the time ( more time with baby and husband ).

there is no other way. Somehow im not able to read like before.dont know what to do about that.

anika987 likes this.
  8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

my dh was telling, if he any of his friends say they hate going to office he is going to break their legs.

funny how true, i miss those little irritating things like planning hard at office to make sure work is done and catch my train. sudden rain and i beg one of my coworkers to lend me their extra umbrella. . making some lies that train is stuck and missing my morning scrum calls :) .

hang in there. workout helps a lot . and workout alone . no phone either. no spouse, kids. for me a hr walk clears my head.

anika987 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Two words: Woman Cave.

I would post its pictures but you'd all want to move in. :cool:

Aimed for this. Came close enough.

Durga18, KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  10. sridharvijji

sridharvijji Bronze IL'ite

Taking 15 mins break here and there for myself and doing things that I like to do
    Is bring some balance and peace to me .

anika987 likes this.