How do you feel after returning to Chennai.

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by Shanvy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi shanvy

very useful thread,i would say.
    i am not in the returned to india category still:) . but,will soon be.
    we r planning to move back to india in the next 6 months:yes:.
    i am so happy and so is my Dh. Dh spent 2 yrs in USA and i have spent 6 months now.
    but,nothing like living in india,isn't it?:)

we r thinking of relocating to bangalore,not chennai. thought i personally love chennai. but,not sure if i can adjust to the weather there. bangalore has comparatively better weather,IMO.

just felt like replying to this thread...i do not have all the answers to ur question,but will hopefullt reply soon.....

Neha S

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. SrividyaNKumar

SrividyaNKumar Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanti,
    Thanks for starting such a nice thread. In fact, I just logged in to start a similar thread. We are also planning to R2I this year. As it will be hot during june/ july, were are planning to come by the end of July or so. So that our kids can also enjoy the summer break. I spoke to one of my friend and she says that it won't be a big prob. I am planning to get math and science books for them so that they can prepare a bit during holidays.. OOps I forgot to mention that my kids are 10 and 7 yrs old who will joining 6th and 2nd grade. Btw. I have started the below thread under the title "What should I bring with me when I move from U.S. to Chennai?" . It would be really nice if you all can throw your suggestions.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/chennai/82649-what-should-i-bring-me.html#post1017090

Thanks,

Srividya

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Srividhya,

Welcome to this thread.

Relax. just prepare your kids to understand we are going home. thats it. everything else falls into its places easily according to me.

Getting admission is schools is not/is a problem according to the school you choose. But be prepared for disappointments. you cannot have all that you had asked in another thread. there is kfi that is different until 5th, and then there is harishree vidyalaya, an icse school that has suited many transition kids. apart from this as you have already discussed billabong.

ok coming to bringing things back from us. i am not sure, as i did not return from US as you already would have gathered from my previous posts. and moreover, I feel, you get everything in India these days, and there is not much of a need to bring them unless you feel, the shipping costs are going to work cheaper than the buying costs, or because of sentimental attachments.

The things I brought back, were books, my kids keyboard, clothes and nothing else. i brought everything in chennai.

But I know a few who have brought half to full container of their belongings from the US. here, i would suggest, do it only if you do have space for all that, otherwise your home becomes cramped. some of us did have spacious homes abroad and a 2bhk here or a 3bhk which may not hold the whole of them..:idea

Understand that chennai will be hot, hotter and hottest. the schools start by june 1st week and the admission are over by march/april in most schools, unless you have an understanding with the school it is difficult to get in the middle. and also consider if your kids will be ok with a month of portions being completed.:idea.

Will come back later following your queries again. i would suggest you continue your queries here itself, i would delete the other thread as it becomes duplicating.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. SrividyaNKumar

SrividyaNKumar Silver IL'ite

Thanks Shanthi.. I appreciate your response.

Regards,

Vidyaa

5. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Hi
    It's indeed a good thread . We came here in Oman 2 yrs back,daughter studying U.K.G,
    we do have a plan to settle down in Chennai after some years.
    I 'm sure this 'll be an useful thread for all who have a plan 2 come back 2 hometown.
    Vidyavisu

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vidya, do stay tuned, and i am sure it is going to be useful. which school.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  7. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanthi Ma'm:)
    We'r in Salalah.daughter 's in ISS.
    Do you have friends in Salalah?
    Vidyavisu.

8. Mallie

Mallie Senior IL'ite

Very nice thread and I guess very much relevant for me. We have just decided that we will return to Chennai ( Though our native is near madurai)after few years of work in the Gulf. As a first step towards that we plan to purchase an appartment. Lets see how it goes.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vidya,
    One or two. DH office has branches in salalah. how is ISS compared to chennai??

All the best mallie. having a house is one thing less to worry,according to me.

10. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanthi Ma'm
    School is good,only one.
    Vidyavisu.