How do you feel after returning to Chennai.

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by Shanvy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Jothi,

thanks for the input. I know, i have heard comments from kids..from yucky..to yuccccccccckyyyyyyyyyyyyy.on the roads and things.

I am sorry about your books, I love them.

Yes, a few more years and it would definitely have been more tasking I think..

2. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi shanthi,

we have sorted out the stuff that we r planning to take with us to India. also we r looking for a house in chennai. we r yet to decide on the school as we donot know where in chennai we might reside. yet to do any major plans. we r also restricting our purchases in US for any house hold items.

3. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,

That's an interesting thread! :) Of course I am not an R2I...but yes good to know about their side after returning back to Chennai.

So R2I's hope your response will be of value-add to others who are planning or in pipeline to return. Btw, welcome back to Chennai Home :)

Cheers
    Jenz

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Shree,

If the place of residence is decided, then the school automatically places itself. but these days i see people deciding about the school and then the house too.

I feel we get almost everything in india. it is just a not needed to bring much from abroad.

I did not bring anything with me from abroad except my microwave.

I used to start setting up house whenever we were here in the vacation. thus it was not a big stress on our finances too...

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Jenz,
    thanks. it is just that we can discuss on the major issues that affect return to india and also about what adjustments will further help us too...

6. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy for starting the thread.
    I am yet to meet someone on this thread who returned to Hyderabad.
    My Parents and in-laws are in Hyderabad.
    My kids are 10 and 6years old. We visit India every year in the summer. So, sometimes I dont see any point fully relocating to India. I love the school here in US. Kids are given ample time and space to bring out their full potential which I feel would be a drawback in the Indian system.

On the other hand Grand Parents miss kids and vice versa.
    So still in a dilemma.
    Also another thought is to educate kids till high school in the US and send them to do professional courses in India........which works out to be less expensive than US. Since we go every summer to India so the kids are pretty much exposed to the Indian conditions.
    Anyway, I take awful lot of time to come to a decision.

Open for any comments :)

Adara

7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi shanthi,

yes u r true the school comes first to decide on the place of residence. even we donot have much to bring from here. few stuff what we r using here we want to bring there. like our homw theater.also we checked with some of our friends who went to India for good shipping their stuff in container, they said it is not worth paying for the damaged stuff.

anyways still time is there for us to decide what to take and what not to take.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  8. balasri

balasri New IL'ite

Hi Shan,

me too like you. Have been shuttiling back and forth with my husband
    an NRI. Great confusions as to getting back to Chennai as I continue to hold my good job at Chennai. Either quit or get back situation! My children at School.

Anyway , I too am a silent reader many a times even though want to be more active. You know, most of the time spent on mental pre-occupations and mind not fixing on any interesting things at one time. Wish I could come over all these.

Is it ok for you to PM me your mail-id.

-balasri

9. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanti,

Another nice thread from your side and once we get the feedback from the ILites who have returned to India, it will be very useful for the ILites, like me, who are planning to return to Chennai, for one reason on the other.

1. what was the motivation or the real reason to return to india and when did you return and from where?

After my elder daughter completes her 10th, we are planning to return back to Chennai, keeping her studies in mind. I felt she will get good education in Chennai than in Gulf. If i am wrong, ILites, please advise me on that.

2. Did you return with school going kids?

Planning to return with kids, one will be in 11th and the younger one in 7th.

3. Did you have teenagers (let us broaden the gap from the traditionals 13 onwards to 10 onwards), if so how did you convince them ?

4. Did you have a home setup already exisiting (joining parents/parent-in-law)?

Brother-in-Law is in Chennai

5. Did you investment in an apartment/house before returning?

Yes. we have an independent house in Chennai

6. How did you choose the school,which school and are you/children happy?

I need the help from my ILite friends to suggest a good school when i am returning in 2011. :)

7. what do you like about chennai?

It is a nice place to live in, almost all the facilities are there in Chennai.

For me, the main concern, will be my children's education. First, i should locate a good school. Since my DH will not be shifting to Chennai, i should make sure that the school which i select is centrally located, so that it will be easy for my daughter to go for coaching classes, etc.

Definitely, i will be following this thread for the suggestions from our IL friends.

Regards,

Raji

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Hiii Shanti,
    A very nice thread. It would be of gr8 help. We have decided to return to chennai by end of next year. We have a house @ nungambakkam. I am already checking out various links to find schools, hobby classes, shopping center's etc. There is no "jaldi" for me as my girl is only 8 months. But all say "babies grow fast".
    - Nitha