1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Deal With This?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by beautifullife30, Jul 23, 2020.

1. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Hey guys,

I have a few questions.
    Do you guys involve yourself in your partner's work life? I mean are you aware of generally who he works with or do you know a lot of things that happen at his office?

If he is in-between jobs, do you guys have a talk everyday about it? i.e. say he is trying for jobs in 6 companies, will you know all the details like which company he has applied for and what are his favorite choices? or will you just get to know about it towards the end say i got into this company and this is the pay rise?

Say you come across your husband talking to his friends or colleagues about his job search but not with you, or would you just let it go saying if it is required, you will get to know?

And when he doesn't share and says he is dealing with it, how do you let it all go? I mean till now i thought i was supportive. Apparently it looks like i was not. He says i am intruding in his thought process and causing disturbance or to put it in his words "pricking him with needles" when i ask him "how his search is coming along?" or when i suggest him "do you know about this offer/ this company?" in a casual way.

I am shocked to know that this is how he feels. i never questioned him about his choices. All i wanted was to be in the know so i am aware of things. He says me asking him is wrong and that he will let me know when he has made his decision.

When my husband decided to put his papers down without a backup offer, i supported him because the previous organisation really didnt help him and mistreated him. When he went for his exit interview, he called me up to let me know how it went and what they spoke and their reactions to what he spoke when he was driving back form the office. When his colleagues asked him about his next options he used to tell them, right in front of me and infact he himself asked me to check for new openings. I listened to him when he needed to vent, i did the search for him when he wanted me to check. It has been more than 20 days since the exit interview. Now when i ask him casually or normally as to what have you decided, i am suddenly becoming a nuisance. first of all, i am not able to understand this.

So i was good enough to vent and suggest but not to follow up on my suggestions? or ask how far his job search has progressed. I wouldnt have been keen to know had he not put down his papers. Post this month end, its a question of monthly paycheck getting affected. How can i not ask. Ofcourse, he will take care of things but...how can i not ask or question? Am i somehow being interfering here when i ask him what his plans are?

And how to let it go? When my husband says to stop involving myself in his job aspect of his life, how do I let it go?

I am immensely hurt now. i just want to overcome my hurt and deal with this new thing so i no longer make a fool of myself and be in a situation where me and my opinions are not welcome.

Just help me sail through this. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Yes. We speak about it openly, even about the little details like presentations, how it should flow etc to what he ate for a lunch meeting.
    Yes. this alos. Since it is directly related to finacial matter of family, we discuss deeply about it. the area he is applying for, what kind of job matches the profile etc. This also helps me forward any job that I see during my internet search or sometimes I deliberately do it.
    This too. Needs to know where is the limit. Like I will not push him for things he is not ready to do, if I say, I substantiate it with my reasons. If it ends up an argument we hug it out later when everything cools down.
    Since it s only 20 days, I would suggest you to be patient. may be it is the frustration of not able to find any jobs of his liking yet or may be he thought he will find something faster, but it is not happening. It is a stressful time, so just be patient with him, he will come back to you. Distract yourself with your work or a hobby. Just assure him you are there when he wants to talk about it, but stay away for now.

3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Its natural to feel this way. What I understood from your post is that he is a responsible husband.
    " He says me asking him is wrong and that he will let me know when he has made his decision."

Look like he is under stress. So any concern from you appear like nagging. With his colleagues he has to say something. That's why. Think in his way. He is asking you for space. Give him plenty and respect his request. No one value unwanted advice or suggestions. Help him only when he asks for it. Otherwise behave normal, focus on your life and career. Let him come to you. Dont overthink and spoil your happiness. Have lot of patience. Give him space and emotional support. Everything will be alright.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    shravs3 likes this.
  4. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

Hi..
    The answer to your initial question is yes.. I am and have been involved in my husband's career life. And I try to understand everything that he does, I help in his job search and all the other things of career life.

Now reading your question it look like you have also been actively involved in his career life. He has asked you while putting down the papers because he thinks you are a important part of his life.
    Now at this point he is not involving you in any decisions, so from what I think from the outside is, he has some guilt within him maybe and his responsibilities and decisions are in his face making him feel maybe he did the wrong thing..
    And yes it is difficult to not involve in his life at this hardest point..but you need to give him the right amount of space.

Just have a casual talk with him..and maybe instead of asking him did you choose a job yet..maybe ask him indirectly..if you see him editing resume ask hey you need help with that.. or in searching new opening do you need me to do that still..

And in the current pandemic, it is very difficult to find jobs easily..maybe he expected it to be very easy but now it is not ..so cut him some slack..

And the only way you can bring his morale up is if you are able to relax.. always remember you will get through this bump..
    Both of you sit down and remember all the difficult times you both have been under and came out of it and laugh it out..maybe it will be encouraging to him and you:blush: